Paste & Cut Travelling Box #4B - Reviews and Comments

I mean it is not Mt Isa hard, but still in 150+ppm area, so definitely yes, hard water

You could grow grapes with that ppm range!! /s

A pinch of citric acid would work wonders in your circumstances, loving your detailed reviews too. I really appreciate the depth of analysis and the observations that accompany your comments :)

I have a simple question for you @Mark1966, what is the origin of the Vetiver they use in the soap ?

Nothing gets me going like a B&B soap 'discussion' replete with armchair experts, absolutist opinions and the 'gatekeepers' you get at that forum ala "18mm Boar brush ONLY" but it's the Vetiver that interests me. I do like the soap, not so much the nature and tone of the discussion surrounding it at that particular forum. Sharpologist has a tendency to shill products too in some instances, some informative and readable pieces but he always has an admittedly declared angle.

You could grow grapes with that ppm range!! /s

A pinch of citric acid would work wonders in your circumstances, loving your detailed reviews too. I really appreciate the depth of analysis and the observations that accompany your comments :)

Thank you my friend - I have been using a pinch of citric for months now - really helps a lot!

I have a simple question for you @Mark1966, what is the origin of the Vetiver they use in the soap ?

No idea, I'm just a consumer :)

Nothing gets me going like a B&B soap 'discussion' replete with armchair experts, absolutist opinions and the 'gatekeepers' you get at that forum ala "18mm Boar brush ONLY" but it's the Vetiver that interests me. I do like the soap, not so much the nature and tone of the discussion surrounding it at that particular forum.

Sounds like ANY discussion over their potentially ;)

Sharpologist has a tendency to shill products too in some instances, some informative and readable pieces but he always has an admittedly declared angle.

Does he shill individual products? I've heard him say that he promotes wet shaving (by which he includes wet shaving products) Does he do so for specific products? Genuine question as I don't read a lot of his stuff.

No idea, I'm just a consumer

Can you make some inquiries through your networks ?

Does he shill individual products? I've heard him say that he promotes wet shaving (by which he includes wet shaving products) Does he do so for specific products? Genuine question as I don't read a lot of his stuff.

Disclosure here

I think I might let your question 'pass to the keeper' mate :)

My previous comment re: shilling should only be considered in the context of his publicly posted disclosure and it was not intended, nor should anyone draw any further inference beyond that published disclosure. I consider 'routinely' and 'usually' as most interesting qualifiers lets just say.

My second shave with the Single Ring today - and it absolutely confirmed my initial observations...

rHhJqCa.jpg

it is not as aggressive as I thought, but also not as efficient. The very narrow head design make it a joy to use - I can zip around my face without any effort, and it is definitely the most enjoyable vintage OC I have tried so far. The soap for me is a typical vegan, doesn't like water and air gets in there to easily.

n5NpS0T.jpg

The lather was nice and there is definitely glide and protection, just not at the levels of my top tier soaps. The scent however is fantastic, and it definitely remind me of the seaside - in a very good way. Post shave was not spectacular, but also not really negative.

Thanks again to @Mark1966 fir stuffing this box with all these goodies (y)(y)(y)

Last edited:
Last shave with the box today before it goes back to @nsavage tomorrow who generously agreed to pass it on to @Robbo14 (y)(y)(y)

jzEjAeH.jpg

As much fun as it was playing around with a ~100 year old razor, it is good to back in the 21st century. I totally get all the nostalgia people have with vintage razors, some of which luck truly stunning. But at the end of the day, men must have had really tiny hands. Here my razor for today on a ATT Colossus handle next to the single ring

rz7tV8G.jpg

I would classify the head of my ATT also as rather small and flat - but next to the Old Type it looks like a truck :D

Now on to the soap: I should have read my own notes, as it seems I have had prior experience with Wickham. I really didn't like. It seemed to me, that this soap despises water. I started with a super dry brush and it was still almost too much. The lather shot is not very good, but the lather has this bright white colour with no shine - usually a very bad sign for me. And it was neither very slick nor very protective. It dried out on my skin, gave me an unpleasant tingling sensation and was only saved by the superb razor/blade combination.

L1oEXrW.jpg

The scent is very nice, a clean citrusy Lavender, that reminds me of the plants, that grow here at the Penfold winery. But that was it, even the post shave was not very good - but it definitely must be me, as the soap gets some rave reviews in other places...

Thank you again @Mark1966 and the rest of the team here at P&C for this fantastic opportunity (y)(y)(y)

another great review @alfredus - and fascinating to see the SR next to your other razor!

Box received from @nsavage Delivery Services. Robbo's Delivery Services thanks you :D

No instructions inside the box, not pointing any fingers @alfredus :D

So much to go through, it is quite amazing how all this can be organised, so thank-you to all those involved in making this happen. A perfect opportunity to trial a vast range of soaps and aftershave's, to discover what scents favour me. This will either save me money or put a dent in my wallet depending how you look at it.

Being relatively new to Wet-shaving, Please take my comments and opinions with a grain of salt. While I can give my honest views on scent, I think it would be a bit harsh to rate the quality of lather with my lack of experience and technique.

Box received from @nsavage Delivery Services. Robbo's Delivery Services thanks you :D

No instructions inside the box, not pointing any fingers @alfredus :D

So much to go through, it is quite amazing how all this can be organised, so thank-you to all those involved in making this happen. A perfect opportunity to trial a vast range of soaps and aftershave's, to discover what scents favour me. This will either save me money or put a dent in my wallet depending how you look at it.

Being relatively new to Wet-shaving, Please take my comments and opinions with a grain of salt. While I can give my honest views on scent, I think it would be a bit harsh to rate the quality of lather with my lack of experience and technique.
mate your not here to impress anyone. dive head first into the box and Have Fun! don't worry about lather and all that jazz just tell us if you liked it or not and why, in your words not ours :)

looking forward to seeing what you try

mate your not here to impress anyone. dive head first into the box and Have Fun! don't worry about lather and all that jazz just tell us if you liked it or not and why, in your words not ours :)

looking forward to seeing what you try

Yep - what he said !!!

First review

Pre-shave in shower is always the bosses Dead Sea Salt Scrub from body shop, I get a really smooth soft glide that lasts with or without a shave, quick dry, defog the mirror and away we go.

Squadron - Ace, the first soap that got my attention when un-boxing this pile of goodies. A local business with military background which I have the utmost respect for, this has been on my radar for a while. This is in my top three straight out of the box, to me the scent is very subtle, well balanced, nothing hits you in the face, stands out or even over powering, not a fan of tobacco but luckily cant really smell any. Typically I enjoy strong sweet scents but I just keep on coming back to this subtle sweet one.

My partner is away at the moment, ill update this post later with her views on this, shes very picky so watch out @SchoolForAnts

I finished off with Thayers Unscented and Stirling Co Unscented Balm which always leaves the skin silky smooth. I don't apply aftershave for night shaves.

The not so special mention goes too.... Simpsons Cafe Latte Shaving Cream, I think this needs to be relabled "The Asian Special", With a slight hint of Latte and lots and lots of Soy Sauce. To be perfectly honest I'm actually considering buying this soap for the winter months, for those nights where you just want the better half to stay on her side of the bed...

Last edited:
.... for those nights where you just want the better half to stay on her side of the bed and not have ALL the blankets as well...

FTFY

Second Review

No Pre-shave
Henri et Victoria La Poire Francaise was next on my list, to me a Sweet Smokey Pear with a hint of Cinnamon. I got a really good thick lather with little water quite easily, no preshave products this time but still maintained a BS shave. This may have made it to the purchase list.

My partner's said "it's OK" with her nose screwed up :cautious:

Third review

No shower or Pre-shave product this time.

Shaver Heaven Sweet Almond Milk, the first product to get the missus tick of approval. The lather was easy consisting of a subtle scent that smells more like sweet sharp caramel rather then almond. This one doesn't make it to my purchase list but am very much looking forward to sampling other soaps from SH when they re-open, I own and enjoy there Menthol Arctic Mango.

The not so special mention goes too... Reef Point Dragon's Blood. If you want to walk around smelling like a candle, this is the product for you. The smell reminds me of an Asian grocery stores with scented sticks burning in the corner.

Great reviews @Robbo14 - love hearing your thoughts (y)

So after taking some time to go through the box, I realised that there is a lot of stuff to choose from. This isn't a bad thing, as I think everyone has their own tastes. I went through it and put aside my own Squadron soaps (I know how they perform), as well as a few I already own, then smelt everything the box had to offer.

I'm of the belief that performance comes before scent, but if it doesn't smell good then I'm not going to try it. That then firmly removed at least three soaps for me - one that smelt vile, like fish sauce to my nose (Biotique Bio Palmrya), and another that reminded me of the sauce you put on a roast lamb (WitW Spearmint, Lavender, vetiver) and then one I can only describe as smelling "chemically manufactured" (Local Gent Shaving - Tobacco Lounge).

There were a few aftershaves and splashes I put in the "Hell No" pile... one which all old enough to shave in my house agreed smelt like pine toilet duck cleaner. Lol

Tonight I chose Sudsy Soapery Citrus & Bay, followed up by The Stray Whisker After Balm.

I'm a big fan of Bay Rum Scents and this travelling box has a few of them, I was drawn to this soap because it didn't have an overwhelming scent of cloves. Cloves are a natural skin irritant, and some others I've tried in the past have left my skin with a burning feeling.

Once lathered, the clove smell comes out, but thankfully the irritation hasn't - the lather at first was kind of 'sudsy', funny considering the name, but it moved on and formed only what I can describe as a stiff but not soft lather (doing my best to describe things here).

The shave was smooth, not as protective or creamy as I'd like - but nonetheless it did the job adequately. Post shave feel was okay, not drying, but also not feeling soft/moisturised. For a soap worth about $14 or so, I think it did okay. If I get time I might try this soap again and see what happens if I try a little less water when lathering.

I've never tried the After Balm before, and it really picked up where the soap left off. I used a small amount, and was left feeling soft and smooth. As I type this about 30-40mins later my skin feels slightly greasy from the balm even after using only a small amount. Conversley my wife shaved her armpits tonight with my leftover soap using her own DE and found the soap really drying, and loved the balm on her 'pits'. She said it soaked in well, and non greasy. I guess it just depends on your skin type.The ingredients list menthol, although I must say I didn't notice any cooling effect.

Ultimately I'd use the balm again.