Photography Down Under

Maxime D.

Hi guys,

I thought we should have a thread about photography, I know there is a few 35mm users among you and some have digital SLR, it would be interesting to share whatever you want to share on the subject. When I say 'Photography', I mean everything from Full Frame to Iphone (I'm open minded) and anything between these two extremes. It also include any kind of equipment like tripods, SD cards, film rolls, light meters, flash, lenses (of course) or homemade devices. If you want to share pictures or talk about things you like to shoot or places where you like to go to shoot, feel free to use this thread.

I love photography. I did it as a major in high school actually. Back then it was all 35mm B&W and I had my own darkroom set-up. These days digital doesn't seem to have the same attraction to me. That coupled with I have only limited time and a more enthusiastic hobby (road cycle racing) which takes up 12hrs+ a week, three kids and a wife I don't have the energy for it these days.

The other thing that has jaded me with photography is the "tourist". You know, you are somewhere and all they want to do is take photos & videos. The whole time they are focussed on recording the event/location, framing the next photo and its all about the camera. Few few things shit me more than at an event all you can see is hands up holding devices trying to capture a stage that is lit in such a way that any photography is pointless. One day as my wife was pressuring me to take photos when we were out bush walking I just had had enough. I was there to enjoy the locality/event not to miss it trying to capture it and then at home try to experience it though the lens/TV. So I just stopped taking a camera anywhere. I stopped taking photos at home, at birthdays, weddings, every where. Now I take photos with my mind. I am present and enjoy it fully first hand. I let her to do the photography.

Now, I realise that not all photography buffs are like that. I have a mate who is right into it and when we go bush, the camera stays in it's bag until at some point, we might might be resting by a creek eating some lunch or something and he goes "I think it's time for some photography". This I like. He has been present, enjoying the moment and now, here is a section of time for photos. Let's do that, then we can put it away and go back to being together and being in the bush. I could go that way for sure but like I say, life is very hectic and so taking the time is hard. I have only posted one SOTD photo for this reason. I haven't had the time to set it up, do it justice so I haven't at all.

I do enjoy the efforts of others however and will be interested to see what turns up here.

I'm no pro, marely a guy with a dSLR and a few vintage lenses (Because I like manual aperture rings). I learnt how to use my camera, the same way I learnt how to do a windsor knot or shaving with a D.E, by surfing the net (a lot!). At first I just needed a camera to take good pictures for Ebay listings, eventually I stepped outside the programs modes and got hooked. These days I just like to wander downtown and take pictures for my own pleasure :)

photography is my other obsession. Mainly film. But still have a few digicams

In the past few weeks I have upgraded from a Canon Rebel XT (Sold to a beautiful lady :D ) to a Pentax K-50 (The joys of using m42 lenses, you're bound to no one), I bought a bigger camera bag to store my gears and now I'm looking for a Pentacon Diopter for my Praktica L2.
5f6bcf1dc46c21c73739ebdde2118e60.jpg

(The L2 pictured isn't mine, however I do own this very lens)

Last edited:
The Tessar design is a great lens. I have many examples for my 5x4 cameras. While they are only a 4 element design they have wonderful optical qualities. Congrats on using film.

A few months ago I bought a viewfinder adjustment for my L2 and yesterday I received 3 rolls of ILFORD HP5 400. I'm finally ready to give a shot at the analogue photographic world :D

I you can, learn how to process the film yourself. It will never get old.

Agree. I had the good fortune to work in my high school news paper dark room. A great experience and Very fond memories. I lost my Minolta SLR (SR-T 101) somewhere over the last 45 years. Nuts!

I loaded my first roll this morning, I was ready to use at least 1/3 of the exposures but my plans were thwarted by a group of dark cumulus. I got a single shot before the rain started : ( Since I learned how to properly load a film, I consider it a positive experience :D

Last edited:
Hmmm, might have to drag out my Nikon F-501 and it's suite of lenses if you guys keep talking about this. Unfortunately my Dad sold off his Rolleiflex and Hasselblad square formats when he gave up professional photography. I can still remember as a kid wondering why Dad was using such a weird camera compared to everyone else's back then!

Today was my grandfather 90th birthday and for the occasion I decided to bring this Kodak VR35 with me. (N.I.B from 1987, I got it for pennies at a flea market). OK I bloody well know that it is a plastic piece of junk but I couldn't bring my big east-german SLR to the restaurant... so I loaded a roll of AgfaPhoto Vista Plus 200 in this "remnant of the 80's". I liked it more than I thought I would, it's a fully automatic-no-brainer :D

Hmmm, might have to drag out my Nikon F-501 and it's suite of lenses if you guys keep talking about this. Unfortunately my Dad sold off his Rolleiflex and Hasselblad square formats when he gave up professional photography. I can still remember as a kid wondering why Dad was using such a weird camera compared to everyone else's back then!

The Rolleiflex is the Gillette Toggle of cameras, it is just plain awesome to look at. A few months ago I've seen someone shot with a similar camera.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the first picture I took with the Praktica. :) A new addiction is born.

25291825279_9203417480_b.jpg

Today was my grandfather 90th birthday and for the occasion I decided to bring this Kodak VR35 with me. (N.I.B from 1987, I got it for pennies at a flea market). OK I bloody well know that it is a plastic piece of junk but I couldn't bring my big east-german SLR to the restaurant... so I loaded a roll of AgfaPhoto Vista Plus 200 in this "remnant of the 80's". I liked it more than I thought I would, it's a fully automatic-no-brainer :D

The Rolleiflex is the Gillette Toggle of cameras, it is just plain awesome to look at. A few months ago I've seen someone shot with a similar camera.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the first picture I took with the Praktica. :) A new addiction is born.

You're kidding - the Kodak VR35 was my first camera - in primary school! I think I've still got it somewhere...

Looks just like this... certainly a no-brainer but takes awesome photos!

kodak-vr35-k4_2.jpg

You're kidding - the Kodak VR35 was my first camera - in primary school! I think I've still got it somewhere...

Looks just like this... certainly a no-brainer but takes awesome photos!

I bought it because of the 80's look, It made me nostalgic. : ) I'm sure most of our family pictures were shot with similar cameras.