PIF No. 10 (Worldwide) - Shave-ready ⅝ French Point T.R. Cadman "Bengall Imperial" (How long is a piece of string?)

rbscebu

Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia
Another donation from @Holiday to the cause. This shave-ready straight razor is a less common "Bengall Imperial" from post-1924.
tmIjay3.jpg

bD5CwEf.jpg

vZYczC0.jpg

f6cORnh.jpg

Technical Details:
Maker = T.R. Cadman & Sons Ltd., Sheffield, England​
Model = Imperial Bengall​
Blade material = high carbon steel (Sheffield)​
Point style = French​
Grind = full hollow​
Blade width = 16mm (⅝)​
Bevel angle = 18.4°​
Blade thickness = 0.27mm at top of bevel​
Edge length = 73mm​
Stabilizers = one each side​
Jimps = bottom of shank​
Tail length = 21mm opened 270°​
Scales material = faux ivory​
Pins = 2 of nickel alloy​
Wedge = tapered plastic​
Length closed = 163mm​
Mass = 46g​

Condition:
This straight razor is in used condition. The blade has been sanded and polished, although there are still some minor pockmarks on the face at the end of "....ll" and under the "m" (see photo). The spine shows a reasonable amount of wear for its age as this razor has obviously been used over many years. I have honed this razor (without tape) up to just before finishing. It will be finished on the winner's preferred medium of either diamond pasted balsa, hard black Arkansas or vintage coticule.​

Note: This razor is suitable for a beginner into the gentlemanly art or a more experienced SR shaver..​
Rules:
1. This PIF is open to members worldwide.​
2. You must have been a member of P&C on 25 November 2023.​
3. The winner is to pay postage within 72 hours of winning (see postal rates below).​
4. Entries closed 2359hrs UTC Friday 01 December 2023 (that's Saturday morning in AU).​

How to enter:
This PIF requires some skill. You need to determine how long is the following piece of string (to the nearest millimetre (mm)​
c2fh2cj.jpg

I have not measured the string but my guess is that it is somewhere between 100mm and 300mm (I could be wrong).​
To win this PIF, just post "I'm in" with your determination of the length of the string in millimetres (mm). [e.g., I'm in 155mm].​

If you find that this SR is not for you, all I ask is that you return the razor to me. I will then refresh the blade's edge and PIF it to another member.​

Postage Rates:
Australia = AU$2.70 delivered within 5 to 10 business days​
New Zealand = AU$17.60 (about US$11.40) delivered within 8 to 12 business days​
Asia/Pacific = AU$21.60 (about US$14.00) delivered within 10 to 18 business days​
US/Canada = AU$24.20 (about US$15.70) delivered within 6 to 10 business days​
Europe/UK & Brazil = AU$29.60 (about US$19.25 delivered within 6 to 10 business days​
Rest of world = AU$35.60 (about US$23.00) delivered within 15 to 25 business days​

Last edited:
Well done @rbscebu as far as Bengall's go this is more ornate specimen than the common army issued models available in Australia, with its engraving on the blade and peacock tail on tang.
Good luck to all who enter, you wont be disappointed by the razor or @rbscebu edge.

I'm not in as I already have a Bengall Imperial which belonged to my Grandfather. It's a really great shaver.

As for the string, it's twice the length of it halved.

cheers

Andrew

As for the string, it's twice the length of it halved.
:ROFLMAO:

Reminds me of an album I bought once (Somewhere Else Before, Esbjörn Svensson Trio) that had a label on the shrink-wrap I wish I had kept, saying "If this album sells as many copies as Kind of Blue, it will be one of the best-selling albums ever". Truth in advertising... :unsure: