PIF No. 11 (Worldwide) - 2 x Gold Dollar 66, one shave-ready and the other with factory edge [10 sets available]

rbscebu

Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia
Courtesy of @mark123abc0 I have ten sets of 2 x Gold Dollar 66 straight razors to give away. Each set consists of one honed to shave-ready (my standard) and the other with a factory edge.
7hz8H2V.jpg

LHS Factory Edge, RHS Shave-ready​

All of these 20 SRs came with a pre-2022 grind. This meant that they had a stabilizer geometry that some find difficult to hone. I have re-profiled the blades' heel/stabilizer area to as shown below.

stmWVjA.jpg

Top is factory grind, bottom is re-profiled​

Technical Details (approximate measurements):
Maker = Ningbo Gold Dollar Razor & Scissors Manufacture Co., Ltd., Zhejiang, China​
Model = 66​
Year of manufacture = pre-2022​
Blade material = high carbon steel​
Point style = Dutch​
Grind = half hollow​
Blade width = 21mm (⅞)​
Bevel angle = 19.5°​
Blade thickness = 0.20mm at top of bevel​
Edge length = 65mm​
Stabilizers = none​
Jimps = bottom of shank​
Tail length = 24mm opened 270°​
Scales material = Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS) thermoplastic​
Pins = 2 of nickel alloy plus ABS spacer pin​
Wedge = integral with scales​
Length closed = 163mm​
Balance (opened 180°) = 28mm from pivot pin towards blade​
Mass = 56g​

Condition:
These straight razors are in new condition. The shave-ready razors have been used in shave-testing only and, when found satisfactory, their edge has been refreshed. The heel/stabilizer area has been ground to a new profile to remove the stabilizers. The finish quality is up to Gold Dollar's normal standard (which is not that high). These razors are not good lookers but are most suitable to shave with.Two razors are supplied; one honed to shave-ready and the other still with its factory edge. This allows a winner to develop his honing skills on the factory-edge razor while being able to compare his work against an identical shave-ready razor,​
Note: These straight razors are suitable for a beginner into the gentlemanly art or a more experienced SR shaver.​

Honing:
One razor in each set have been honed (without tape) up to just before finishing. It will be finished on the winner's preferred medium of either diamond pasted balsa, hard black Arkansas or vintage coticule.​

Rules:
1. This PIF is open to P&C members worldwide.​
2. You must have at least 5 meaningful post on P&C on five separate days prior to the day you enter this PIF (not including the day that you enter).​
3. There are ten sets of razors available, however each P&C member is only allowed to win one set.​
4. If you only require one razor, please specify which type (honed or factory edge) in your entry post.​
5. The winner is to pay postage within 72 hours of winning (see postal rates below).​
4. This PIF remains open until all razors have been claimed.​

How to enter:
To win this PIF, just post in this thread "I win" together with any special instructions. I will then contact the winner via PM on P&C.​
If you find that this SR is not for you, all I ask is that you return the razor to me. I will then refresh the blade's edge and PIF it to another member.​

Postage Rates:
Australia = AU$2.70 delivered within 5 to 10 business days​
New Zealand = AU$17.60 (about US$11.40) delivered within 8 to 12 business days​
Asia/Pacific = AU$21.60 (about US$14.00) delivered within 10 to 18 business days​
US/Canada = AU$24.20 (about US$15.70) delivered within 6 to 10 business days​
Europe/UK & Brazil = AU$29.60 (about US$19.25 delivered within 6 to 10 business days​
Rest of world = AU$35.60 (about US$23.00) delivered within 15 to 25 business days​

Last edited:
My son currently has 1 straight razor he has used since 2021. It is a black Comoy's Of London (ie rebadged Gold Dollar) but the engraving on the blade has worn off. Maybe it's about time he had a second razor he could rotate to?

"I win", happy to recieve 1 razor so someone else gets to try one.

I don't mind which, I can easily hone it into shape. All my Comoy razors came in abysmal shape & are now awesome.

Put me on the wait list for the ½ - if no-one else who is new to straights wants it, I'd be keen to improve my honing on more challenging geometry. :)

Put me on the wait list for the ½ - if no-one else who is new to straights wants it, I'd be keen to improve my honing on more challenging geometry. :)
There is no need for a wait list. I have plenty of SRs ready to give away, probably enough for at least the next 12 months.

I suggest that you get a full set rather than just a ½. There is no postage saving between one or two SRs. These SRs would also be suitable for trying your re-scaling skills. For overseas winners, I can also include some blank timber scales material at no extra cost.

Thanks Richard. Put me down for one (unhoned). I'd much prefer to see them go to people new to straight shaving, or indeed someone who has yet to make the leap. :)

Courtesy of @mark123abc0 I have ten sets of 2 x Gold Dollar 66 straight razors to give away. Each set consists of one honed to shave-ready (my standard) and the other with a factory edge.
7hz8H2V.jpg

LHS Factory Edge, RHS Shave-ready​

All of these 20 SRs came with a pre-2022 grind. This meant that they had a stabilizer geometry that some find difficult to hone. I have re-profiled the blades' heel/stabilizer area to as shown below.

stmWVjA.jpg

Top is factory grind, bottom is re-profiled​

Technical Details (approximate measurements):
Maker = Ningbo Gold Dollar Razor & Scissors Manufacture Co., Ltd., Zhejiang, China​
Model = 66​
Year of manufacture = pre-2022​
Blade material = high carbon steel​
Point style = Dutch​
Grind = half hollow​
Blade width = 21mm (⅞)​
Bevel angle = 19.5°​
Blade thickness = 0.20mm at top of bevel​
Edge length = 65mm​
Stabilizers = none​
Jimps = bottom of shank​
Tail length = 24mm opened 270°​
Scales material = Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS) thermoplastic​
Pins = 2 of nickel alloy plus ABS spacer pin​
Wedge = integral with scales​
Length closed = 163mm​
Balance (opened 180°) = 28mm from pivot pin towards blade​
Mass = 56g​

Condition:
These straight razors are in new condition. The shave-ready razors have been used in shave-testing only and, when found satisfactory, their edge has been refreshed. The heel/stabilizer area has been ground to a new profile to remove the stabilizers. The finish quality is up to Gold Dollar's normal standard (which is not that high). These razors are not good lookers but are most suitable to shave with.Two razors are supplied; one honed to shave-ready and the other still with its factory edge. This allows a winner to develop his honing skills on the factory-edge razor while being able to compare his work against an identical shave-ready razor,​
Note: These straight razors are suitable for a beginner into the gentlemanly art or a more experienced SR shaver.​

Honing:
One razor in each set have been honed (without tape) up to just before finishing. It will be finished on the winner's preferred medium of either diamond pasted balsa, hard black Arkansas or vintage coticule.​

Rules:
1. This PIF is open to P&C members worldwide.​
2. You must have at least 5 meaningful post on P&C on five separate days prior to the day you enter this PIF (not including the day that you enter).​
3. There are ten sets of razors available, however each P&C member is only allowed to win one set.​
4. If you only require one razor, please specify which type (honed or factory edge) in your entry post.​
5. The winner is to pay postage within 72 hours of winning (see postal rates below).​
4. This PIF remains open until all razors have been claimed.​

How to enter:
To win this PIF, just post in this thread "I win" together with any special instructions. I will then contact the winner via PM on P&C.​
If you find that this SR is not for you, all I ask is that you return the razor to me. I will then refresh the blade's edge and PIF it to another member.​

Postage Rates:
Australia = AU$2.70 delivered within 5 to 10 business days​
New Zealand = AU$17.60 (about US$11.40) delivered within 8 to 12 business days​
Asia/Pacific = AU$21.60 (about US$14.00) delivered within 10 to 18 business days​
US/Canada = AU$24.20 (about US$15.70) delivered within 6 to 10 business days​
Europe/UK & Brazil = AU$29.60 (about US$19.25 delivered within 6 to 10 business days​
Rest of world = AU$35.60 (about US$23.00) delivered within 15 to 25 business days​
Hi

I am new on the forum but I would be very happy to get one sharpened razor as I have big problem with honing my own razor and I really need some reference point. I am a beginner and not meeting requirements (yet) for PIF.

@karol.elec, you will get there soon with your eligibility to enter. I will make sure that I hold one or two for you.

I recommend that you get a set of two. That will help you in developing your honing technique. Later you can also use one to teach yourself how to re-scale a SR.
That is very generous. As you already know I have big problem with honing. I would be happy with a second one to learn but only if there is nobody who needs one. In this case one will be more than enough 👍🏻

Richard. I win, a set with the honed one being from the "pasted balsa" please.
This way I finally have something to compare against my Kamisori (re tree-topping/shave ready) and I've always wanted to try one of your edges.
If Western straights are not for me I'll Barbicide and return
Cheers
Les

I use to think the same about kissing girls when my mother told me all about germs. Then I tried it and liked it.
OT:- Every man and woman knows that sex is too easy, but, straight razors are not that easy for most men in the world when double edged razors are very simple and stress free.

I have one of the method edge GD66 honed by @rbscebu in hand as of this afternoon. It's the sharpest razor I've handled in my short experience in the SR world. HHT on it is quite eye opening.

I have one of the method edge GD66 honed by @rbscebu in hand as of this afternoon. It's the sharpest razor I've handled in my short experience in the SR world. HHT on it is quite eye opening.
Thank you for the compliment, however I do not consider myself an expert in honing. I have only honed up a little under 200 SRs over the past 4 years and with only basic gear. I am sure that there are others who can do a much better job.