PIF No. 12 (Worldwide) - Shave-Ready New Titan ACRO T.H.64 Straight Razor

rbscebu

Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia
Other shave-ready straight razors are still currently available in PIF No. 11.

Through the kind generosity of @LesC, I can offer a new Titan ACRO T.H.64 shave-ready stainless steel straight razor. This razor was manufactured in Taiwan using a specially developed custom Japanese steel to help Titan to celebrate their centenary of straight razor manufacturing. This stainless steel has a very fine grain with strong inter-granular bonding that is heat treated to a higher hardness than can be obtained with many other types of stainless steels. The razor normally sells for about AU$140 to AU$150 including professional honing and shipping. The faux leather zippered case with stainless steel surrounds is included (for extra postage within Australia).

Up0iPhN.jpg

JfAQtWk.jpg

ypgkJ0t.jpg

Technical Details (approximate measurements):

Maker = Titan Industry Co. Ltd., Yi Lan, Taiwan​
Model = ACRO T.H.64​
Year of manufacture = pre-2018​
Blade material = proprietary custom stainless steel (Japanese)​
Blade hardness = approx. 63 RHC​
Point style = Dutch​
Grind = full hollow​
Blade width = 21mm (⅞)​
Bevel angle = 19.4°​
Blade thickness = 0.35mm at top of bevel​
Edge length = 69mm​
Stabilizers = none​
Jimps = bottom of shank​
Tail length = 23mm opened 270°​
Scales material = African blackwood with brass inlay​
Pins = 2 of brass​
Wedge = parallel of aluminium alloy​
Length closed = 161mm​
Balance (opened 180°) = 3mm from pivot pin towards blade​
Mass = 73g​

Condition:

This straight razor are in new condition. The razor has been used for a shave-testing only and, when found satisfactory, the edge has been refreshed. The blade has a semi-mirror finish. The overall quality of finish is high. With the steel's higher hardness, this razor should hold its edge for longer than normal carbon steel blades.​
Note: This straight razor with its higher bevel angle is more forgiving and is considered very suitable for (but not limited to) a beginner into the gentlemanly art. It should also be enjoyable to shave with by a more experienced SR shaver.​

Honing:

The razor has been honed (without tape) up shave-read finishing on a full diamond pasted balsa progression. For quality control, it has been shave tested and not found wanting. It is supplied ready to shave with - no stropping required.​

Rules:

1. This PIF is open to P&C members worldwide.​
2. You must have been a member of P&C on 07 December 2023.​
3. The winner is to pay postage within 72 hours of winning (see postal rates below).​
4. This PIF closes at 2329hrs UTC Friday 15 December 2023 (that's Saturday morning in Australia).​

Postage Rates:

Australia = AU$2.70 (without case) or AU$12.20 (including case) delivered within 5 to 10 business days​
New Zealand = AU$17.60 (about US$11.40) delivered within 8 to 12 business days​
Asia/Pacific = AU$21.60 (about US$14.00) delivered within 10 to 18 business days​
US/Canada = AU$24.20 (about US$15.70) delivered within 6 to 10 business days​
Europe/UK & Brazil = AU$29.60 (about US$19.25 delivered within 6 to 10 business days​
Rest of world = AU$35.60 (about US$23.00) delivered within 15 to 25 business days​

How To Enter:

To win this PIF requires some skill. You need to determine how much VI-John icy mint shaving cream I will use in my seven three-pass shaves from Sunday 09 December to Saturday 15 December (inclusive). I have never shaved with this cream before. My guesstimate is that I will use about 2g to 6g of cream per shave, although I could way out. The tube (new) currently has a mass of 134g.
rEC4UxJ.jpg

The entry that is nearest to the actual amount of cream used will win.

To enter, post in this thread "I'm in" together with your determination of the cream used (e.g., I'm in 32g).

The winner will be notified in this thread and via a P&C PM.

What is the HRC of the T.H.60, do you know? That is also a stainless steel right? Which model of Titan is VG-10?

I've got the adaee 12k on the way, which according to @rbscebu does well with stainless. I'm kind of tempted by this. What's the etiquette here as I already got my first vintage through a recent PIF?

If anyone else is interested in Titans, getting one honed up is a good choice. My T.H.60 took more work to get shaving than my GD66. I'm also developing a vendetta against it due to the finger cut incident.

@sd_baker, the Titan T.H.60 is not a stainless steel although the steel does contain a small amount of chromium. This chromium allows the steel to be heat treated to a hardness a bit above normal high carbon steel.

Titan claim that their T.H.60 blades have a hardness of about 60 RHC. From honing their blades, they could be about right.

Titan's VG10HZ blades are of stainless steel and have a hardness of about 62 RHC. Personally I am not that fussed about their VG10HZ blades. I find them rather chippy when honing. Mind you, that could just be my honing technique.

As for PIF etiquette, you are encouraged to win as many PIFs as you can. I think that this PIF could be good to try on an Adahee #12000. I have a couple of Titan T.H.64 SRs, one off an Adahee #12000 that shaves very well.

If you ever find that a PIFed SR is not for you, you can always PIF it yourself to another worthy recipient.

BTW, I'm currently sporting two band-aids on my fingers from playing with SRs. It's rarely my face, mostly fingers and hands.

I’m not in,
I was a previous PIF Titan winner.
I‘ll play for fun, I also measured my use of cream from a tube to be 1-2g per shave so interested to see what @rbscebu uses.

My fun guess 12g