Post-sabbatical thoughts of 2021 sabbatees?

yeah it cant stay on 13 :)

you should revist your DE89 with a feather and the skills you have learnt along the way. The DE89 used to get me to DFS- and was gonna get rid of it, but because it was my first i just couldnt let it go.

it is still a very mild razor but i can practically get to bbs with technique and a feather. This is why i reckon the 72 should be ok to get bbs, might just need to upgrade to a feather, looking forward to finding out

I only really use a handful of the razors but prob a bit of a hoarder to its hard for me to part with any lol

Yeah I definitely feel like I have mastered the feather's touch so to speak and they are quite comfortable blades for me now. They're easily in my top blades based on my last few shaves particularly when paired with a AS-D2 razor. They really just come alive in that razor which makes a lot of sense given that many regard it as a mild razor but my word I think to date the feather AS-D2 has rewarded me with smoothest, most satisfying BBS ever. You know that shave when your face just feels almost lighter in every sense. I will definitely have to pull out the old DE89 now that you mention it and put in a feather blade.
I think you're onto something there with the .72 razor and the feather pairing.

Oh I have never thrown out or sold a razor not even the ridiculous weishi or weishi knockoff I started with or the Merkur futur (its actually sitting next to me now as I attempted to look over it and maybe adjust it) which is probably my second or third razor and probably biggest regret. I think you're at a healthy number yet to be able to justify holding onto razors. I have honestly lost count how many razors I have got but needless to say I'm not even in the running in comparison to many people here. lol

Last edited:
@Rusty Bridges its also worth checking out the wizamet/polsilver blades and gillette 7'Oclock yellow sharp edge. If you want to try these out pm me and i'll send you some to try

Thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it. I loved the PolSilvers but am kinda reluctant to use what I have left (mind you I probably have 100+) because from what I understand the PolSilvers have been discontinued and the Wizamet blades are near impossible to buy given that wizashave doesn't ship to Australia and Wizablade has been regarded as dubious at best. I can't make heads or tales of who is who or what is what on ebay anymore as I think some people have mentioned having problems with some sellers there and also the suspicion that one of them is Wizablades under a different name. I've been burned too many times of late to go through the stress of wondering whats going on with my orders as I have too many similar problems up in the air at the moment but would love to be able to buy a couple of boxes some day when a window of opportunity opens up for them.
I feel like PolSilvers blades are probably the most consistent and versatile blades out.

I did pickup up a pack of 100 Yellow's a few years ago from Menzbiz but didn't quite get along with them but I guess its another one of those things I should try again now since its been too many years since I have and I have seen many people speak so highly of them. I don't know why but I tend to buy blades 100 at time blindly which is kinda stupid of me given that once I find the ones I like I sit on them and don't hoard when I definitely should.

This chart needs a rework!

I'd definitely like to see your edit of the pic or hear your opinions on it all. I'm assuming the only thing taken into account is blade gap by Joe but I feel like there are more reasons as to why some razors are more aggressive than others but then what does aggressive really mean because some aggressive razors can be smooth too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it. I loved the PolSilvers but am kinda reluctant to use what I have left (mind you I probably have 100+) because from what I understand the PolSilvers have been discontinued and the Wizamet blades are near impossible to buy given that wizashave doesn't ship to Australia and Wizablade has been regarded as dubious at best. I can't make heads or tales of who is who or what is what on ebay anymore as I think some people have mentioned having problems with some sellers there and also the suspicion that one of them is Wizablades under a different name. I've been burned too many times of late to go through the stress of wondering whats going on with my orders as I have too many similar problems up in the air at the moment but would love to be able to buy a couple of boxes some day when a window of opportunity opens up for them.
I feel like PolSilvers blades are probably the most consistent and versatile blades out.

I did pickup up a pack of 100 Yellow's a few years ago from Menzbiz but didn't quite get along with them but I guess its another one of those things I should try again now since its been too many years since I have and I have seen many people speak so highly of them. I don't know why but I tend to buy blades 100 at time blindly which is kinda stupid of me given that once I find the ones I like I sit on them and don't hoard when I definitely should.

no worries, but give the yellows a try in a different razor as the same blade performs differently in different razors...

polsilvers/wizamet are excellent blades, not as sharp as the yellows or minoras but smoother, i would say the minoras are comparable in smoothness to polsilvers but def sharper.. i stocked up on polsilvers when they were getting harder to obtain (have around 400 of them) and bought a bunch of wizamets (around 300) from wizablade but these took a very long time to come. A bunch of us grabbed some (@tim33z and @rhodes96 from memory) so there was a bit of sweating for a while but they did come through in the end.

good luck with your minoras

Oh I have never thrown out or sold a razor not even the ridiculous weishi or weishi knockoff I started with ...
I always find it interesting to look at different people's approach to the obsession. Almost the first thing I did after joining P&C was give away my 34C (in fact this was my reason for joining), and I have continued to send away razors since. For a while I was down to just one (RR GC-JAWS) but that too fell away, as did the Rocca corky. I now only have the Vector and the Hawk V3. (And I could easily go with just the Vector, it's that good.) I guess that makes me a minimalist. :unsure:

I'm looking at doing the same with my soaps, aiming at a "harem" of just a few true loves...

I always find it interesting to look at different people's approach to the obsession. Almost the first thing I did after joining P&C was give away my 34C (in fact this was my reason for joining), and I have continued to send away razors since. For a while I was down to just one (RR GC-JAWS) but that too fell away, as did the Rocca corky. I now only have the Vector and the Hawk V3. (And I could easily go with just the Vector, it's that good.) I guess that makes me a minimalist. :unsure:

I'm looking at doing the same with my soaps, aiming at a "harem" of just a few true loves...

I just find that its nice to have some variety and try different combinations but its definitely considered an obsession and to some even a grotesque waste of money. I also have a voice in the back of my head that tells me I will miss it and want it some day. It's like my Futur, I considered giving it away but it stands as a challenge to me now to try it again and get a reasonable shave out of it. I mean there has to be some sort of merit to this razor. I recall spending a lot of money on it at the time and thinking it was going to be the greatest thing since the inception of the de razor itself. LoL
Those razors are definitely nice and I can't blame you. I feel it also makes you clever.

:eek: Soaps too!?! I'd probably just load my brushes like I was angry for a few months until I worked my way through them all... nah I'm lying. There is something in me that doesn't want to use up everything or... ah shit! I'm a hoarder! Time for a trip to some sort of therapist. *nervous laughter

k4m9zwoy6kb41.jpg

The 95 lupo was totally forgiving, first shave with it didn’t require much concentration at all and never did I feel it would bite me. Quite the opposite, felt totally smooth and safe even with ATG passes. I personally wouldn’t list it as aggressive at all, maybe mid but smooth. That is the chart I saw too and what made me doubt it and the reason I got the 72. Got a feeling the 72 will be too mild but we’ll see
Have to agree, I don't find the Lupo 95 to be very aggressive.