Private Reserve - DIY Aftershave Splash Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks, please forgive me my ignorance, but what about using pre-mixed high quality essential/fragrance oils? I know it's kinda unsportsmanlike :whistle: but at least if you want to replicate designers' scents then it's much easier. For example thefragranceshop.com is selling lots of high-quality ones - just pure perfumes without alcohol (ok to send by air). I'm using their Creed GIT, Aventus and Terre d'Hermes - they are identical to the original (at least my nose cannot find the difference). Cheaper than buying the original one and lasts longer. The 1 ounce bottle is equivalent to 20 bottles of spray colognes so it should last about 2 years with daily use.

For example thefragranceshop.com is selling lots of high-quality ones - just pure perfumes without alcohol (ok to send by air). I'm using their Creed GIT, Aventus and Terre d'Hermes - they are identical to the original

Those are not made with essential oils, they are made with aromatic chemicals and then placed into a carrier oil that is why they are substantially cheaper. I have tried a few of them and to my nose they do not smell identical to the originals, they are close but there are noticeable differences.

At the end of the day though it's a matter of personal choice and preference whether you prefer the genuine article made with absolutes and pure essential oils or aromatic chemicals.

I'm happy to discuss this, but would prefer that a new thread be initiated so I can keep this one for my aftershave project :)

Those are not made with essential oils, they are made with aromatic chemicals and then placed into a carrier oil that is why they are substantially cheaper. I have tried a few of them and to my nose they do not smell identical to the originals, they are close but there are noticeable differences.
I'm not talking about cheap stuff on eBay. I'm talking about "large, long trading, reputable outlets." :) For example thefragranceshop.com claims they are not using any fillers (oils or alcohol) for their pure essential/fragrance oils and they are not substantially cheaper. 30ml costs $144 USD.

No need to start additional thread - do not want to discuss it too much. Just my 2 cents.

A complete set of scents and balm's has now been posted to the testers. I look forward to hearing your comments in due course :)

Would love to hear them too. This have all been intriguing, interesting and entertaining . Thanks so much for taking us on this journey with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
A complete set of scents and balm's has now been posted to the testers. I look forward to hearing your comments in due course :)
Fantastic - looking forward to the reviewers comments as well. Congratulations on the culmination of months of hard work @todras - your babies are all grown up:(

Fantastic - looking forward to the reviewers comments as well. Congratulations on the culmination of months of hard work @todras - your babies are all grown up:(

A few more babies will be detailed in the coming weeks, depending of course on how the first lot are received :whistle:

I have a few samples left over for testing of both balms and aftershaves, the first two people post post in this thread (in order) I am happy to send them to :)

You have mentioned various chemicals used in after shaves, pure chemical fixatives, or Polysorbate 20 and others. Now these are not necessarily required I understand, but are commonly used especially in big perfume houses. Thing is, I don't see these listed, in fact I don't see anything listed on most of them. I was under the impression that a full ingredients list, in descending order of volume was required or is that not a thing here in Australia for cosmetics? I've been looking at a few commercial splashes, EDT's and Perfumes I own and invariably neither on the bottle, the packaging or on the manufactures web sites can I find any ingredients listed.

What is your understanding in this area? I acknowledge you are not an expert but since you have considered the ingredients of splashes you may have looked into it.

Thanks

Interesting question @Sxot :)

I am not a chemist or expert on cosmetics, so I have approached this from a legal perspective...

Firstly: If a perfume contains no water, there is no need for Polysorbate-20 anyway, the same goes for a splash.

Polysorbate-20 is one of dozens of Non ionic Surfacants and is sold under a variety of trade marked names. I use the name 'Polysorbate-20' specifically as this is an instructional thread. I have no issue with disclosing it on my splash whatsoever'. The end user makes the choice to use or not to use a product, personally I believe that them having as much information as possible as to what is inside is the proper thing to do.

The legislation governing and regulating Cosmetics labeling for products made in Australia is Trade Practices (Consumer Product Information Standards) (Cosmetics) Regulations 1991 that is administered under delegated authority by the ACCC, they have a standards document in this regard accessible here. In relation to the specific ingredients or chemicals in these products, NICNAS is charged with this responsibility and deals specifically with the Industrial Chemicals (Notification and Assessment Act) 1989

If a product is made overseas, providing it makes no claims then it can be sold in Australia as is (usually the word 'Fragrance or Perfume' is sufficient for the ACCC), of course if it is discovered to contain toxic or hazardous chemicals there is the potential for action but in the case of perfumes or artisan wet-shaving aftershave splashes in particular the quantities sold precludes such action ever occurring by function of the small number of consumers.

I won't go into the chemical fixatives, there are so many and their use is so contingent on what other substances you are using. Again with these, simply describing a product as 'Perfume' in most cases is sufficient to keep the ACCC and regulatory bodies in Australia happy.

I would also suggest the list of approved chemicals in Australia is in most likely hood absolutely enormous, covering all of the substances in perfume and or aftershave to some degree or another.

A few things in the wind - Testing and making scents

While not forming part of the 'how to' per se I thought I may detail a few more scents that I have been working on and that have come to fruition, I make this record as much for my own reading in the future while of course intending it to be read by those of you who have followed or shown an interest in this project of mine since it's inception.

I thought I would post the three new scents I have been working on in that they are ready to go to the testing stage in the next few weeks. More on that when I feel they are ready to hit the post and so forth :)

Testing fragrances and scents
When I am formulating a scent, the first step is obviously to gather the idea of what the fragrance will be. Will it be citrusy, oriental, deep, dark, moody, pork choppy, woody and so forth. After I have the general idea, I turn my mind to what accords (if any) I can or will use in the scent. Some formulas do not use accords, they use exact quantities of oils and absolutes, others lean on a particular 'harmony' in either the base, mid or top or even all three.

Accords

From this point the fun begins, fun if you like maths and percentages and the almost constant reference to online perfume references to work out the accords, will they work, won't they work, might they work and so on. I work with 3 different vials for a scent, each vial contains what perfumers call an 'accord' which is a bunch of oils and absolutes in very exact percentages.

Some people buy their accords pre-made, others make them from scratch. I quite proudly (stupidly) fall into the latter camp, I make my own accords from reading often very old perfume handbooks, trawling perfume forums (egotistical, pretentious bunch but full of info) and then calculating the percentages, experimenting with small amounts of oils as not everything works.

The process and calculations of accords are complicated, a lot of reading and imho something that if you want to start working on your own scents you need to research, learn and struggle to learn more yourself.

I am a rank beginner in this regard, I am still reading and learning and re-reading. A basic google search of Perfume Accords will set you on the right track - you will find perfumers that sell accords and explain them, forums that discuss them, blog pages by perfume enthusiasts and in fact their is a wealth of information on them and perfume. It takes the time, ability to research and the skill of parsing information for what is useful, what is complete rubbish (well meaning new-age ladies with crystal/aroma therapy blogs) and commercial websites selling accords without actually telling you what is in them.

Testing and Formulating Accords
So you will need to have at a bare minimum 4 or 5 base notes (5 different essential oils - say sandalwood, amber, tonka etc) probably 4 or 5 heart notes (4 or 5 different essential oils/absolutes such as lavender, ginger, etc) and roughly the same for the top notes (4 different essential oils - bergamot, orange, jasmine etc)

I am going to use ml here as I have throughout the rest of this thread, I now weigh my oils as it is much more accurate. For continuity's sake I will stick with ml (mili litres)

Base Accord
Equipment Needed

5 x 1ml brand new pipette
1 x 5ml amber vial
5 x Essential oils of different types
A notepad and pen
A calculator
An idea of the accord you are going to make, we do't just mix random oils willy nilly.

It goes without saying, but I will say it anyway never use the same pipette in different essential oils. If you do this you pollute and compromise the pure oils, if they are polluted they are uncertain, if they are uncertain they are absolutely useless for making splashes and perfume.

The Process
Quite simply, you take a small quantity of oil and using a pipette drop and record a specific measured quantity which you record on the paper you have next to you into the vial.

1. .250 ml Sandalwood
You then smell and take the next Essential oil for your accord, take note of it's strength and character and add another specific measured quantity which you record into the 5ml vial. Selecting oil number two is based on what smells nice to you, or what you have read 'works' or what you choose based on knowing what forms an accord. The oil cannot be 'random', sure you might get lucky but chances are you won't.

2. .050 ml Tonka bean absolute
You now have 2 different essential oils in known quantities in the vial. Note that the quantities are rarely identical. The real magic of accords is working out the quantities that work best, I suggest some google and research of perfume forums, you will find measurements and formulas that can be adapted with a bit of math and intelligence. Just about all the formulas that get posted need work, think about the ratios and how the numbers scale.

We repeat this process until we have an 'accord' - a balance of 2 or more individual scents that form a component of the whole. If you go in blind with no idea of a base accord and mix random oils in random amounts there is a very, very high chance you will end up with horrible smelling crap. Take the time to read and learn from others on what accords work, start with either base or top accords would be my advice - both of these 'frame' the scent and are much more easily grasped intially.

As we have noted the measurements working on a 1 or 2ml scale, when we want to make a 'base' we can simply do some basic math to 'scale up' the amount or weight we need. We now repeat the process two more times, we have made the 'base' accord now we need the heart and top. The same process is used with varying degrees of complexity and calculation.

Australian Private Reserve - A few new things this week
Three scents that I have been working on in the background, they have each gone through 5 to 10 different iterations as I get the formula to a stage where I won't die of embarrassment letting people try it. The perfume bases have been resting for a couple of weeks and I have made up some aftershave in a limited quantity which now rests to mature and age.

They are simple scents, certainly no complicated extravagant Fougère's or deep, intricate Vetiver's but rather these are scents for soaps that have no pairs. These I made as I love the soaps so much, they are made in the spirit of respect and homage to the artisans who formulated the scents they choose to compliment their soaps with. I really mean no offence here, rather admiration.

'EB' - Easterly Breeze
This is one I have been working on for some weeks and came about from my correspondence with a certain soap-maker renowned for making exceptionally good artisan soaps. I happened to mention that I had acquired a tub of his particular soap which he was no longer making and explained that I was having some degree of trouble trying to pair it with a balm and splash.

This is an 'unofficial' scent, it is not endorsed or encouraged by the maker and it is the result of my own hard won formula to get the ratios as close to the soap as I can. I will say though that the Portuguese word for breeze is 'Brisa'

Composition: Myrrh, Vanilla, Cinnamon, Basil, Cardamom

'TB' - sachet de thé (Tea Bag)
I sat with a tea-bag of Earl Grey in one hand and my 'kit' in the other determined and resolute - such a beautiful scent.

My intention in making this one is to pair with one of my favourite soaps from a highly skilled, highly popular US Artisan who currently does not have a splash or a balm for his particular soap. It is a homage and nothing beyond that but by golly does it smell so good!

Composition: Patchouli, Lavender, Clary Sage, Bergamot, Neroli, Mandarin

'LO' l'endroit orange
If you will, possibly climb the hill to the great city of... a great traditional barber shop scent.

Again another of my favourite soaps without a balm or splash, the same artisan who I have so much respect for and whose products I have a great many of, again there is no splash or balm to pair with his wonderful soap and a situation that I had to rectify if not for anyone but myself. A wonderfully traditional barbershop scent in the Italian style, so many worlds removed from the sweet and saccharine affair that is some others on the market.

Woody, citrusy, herbaceous, mildly floral and very Italian.

Composition: Oakmoss, Patchouli, Rosemary, Bergamot, Lemon, Orange

Conclusion
A rather piece meal offering this week, a little on accords, measurements and how to formulate them. Possibly of some interest, certainly material I can return to in order that I refresh my memory from time to time. If someone comes along and finds it useful or interesting then all the better for it!

Three new scents with no intention to cause a ruckus, rather just me formulating scents for beautiful soaps without companions. I will get some testers of splashes and accompanying balms out in the next few weeks in good time.

Comments, corrections, questions, ideas always welcome as per usual. Thanks for reading :)

Well here we are again
Things became what they are and APR was 'born' out of my desire to make aftershaves for soaps that did not have a 'splash' and boy did things really take off in a way I could have never predicted. Some few thousand dollars later (I know right, just barking mad) I have a full compliment of very pure, very exotic essential oils and absolutes including all kinds of weird and wonderful solids that require dilution, heating, etc. I have several aftershaves people like with new summer ones about to go live in a week or so. This is the last you will hear about APR in this regard, I am not here to plug my scents or balms or even discuss them, we have done that and there are other threads for that.

This is about my next learning project and sharing it with everyone so that they can replicate it if they would like to. Once again I am hoping the expert chemists and others can help, correct and guide me if I make or put forward incorrect ideas, methods or conclusions.

Now that it's 2017 I thought I would commence the next chapter of the DIY thread for those that are interested, want to learn or even those with mild curiosity. My thinking is just because I sell a few bottles of splash and balm there is no reason why we can't move on and explore other DIY aspects together. Some people will like the next 'project' while others may find it a little dry, there is a little more chemistry however there is a lot less cost and outlay as we won't be working so much with expensive and scarce essential oils.

From the outset I want to openly disclose and be perfectly frank in that I have formulated, tested and am currently trialling an alcohol free aftershave for the APR line to carry the APR scents.

A Brief Comment on Compounds
As a brief aside before we start, I will only be discussing and using compounds that have demonstrated efficacy and that have been tested and peer-reviewed.

There are thousands of compounds, extracts, hydrosols and so forth out there that are often evangelized and sworn by and used. I have a background in Law and Science and therefore my academic training on a personal level places me on the rails of empirical science that is demonstrated, tested and repeatable and for this reason I am sticking to the proven.

It's my personal world-view and I don't judge others on what they choose to use or believe however I will not use it myself even if bloggerX or earthmother2012 swears by it - anecdotal evidence does not a study make. Mostly it's because of safety, part of it is prudence but mainly it's just about validity of the empirical method and the peer-review process that guides and informs science and discovery.

Making a Facial Toner - A DIY Project - Week 1
Facial toners are generally liquids we apply to our skin after cleaning or shaving them, the aim of a facial toner is to moisturise, soothe and restore balance to the PH of the skin through the application of various compounds that have been researched, tested and peer-reviewed and the results of which have been that they are of benefit to the skin to a quantifiable degree. As the aim of a facial toner is to soothe, repair and restore it is for this reason that facial toners (mostly) do not contain additional or 'added' alcohol.

Alcohol & Functional Groups in Organic Chemistry*
Now, we need to understand something very important about alcohol and the way the word alcohol is used in relation to chemistry otherwise we will become very confused very quickly when I start talking about the toner. People will no doubt say "You said it was alcohol free, but you mentioned alcohol" etc which is quite understandable.

If I mention alcohol in this DIY I am talking about compounds that are alcohols not the addition of alcohol

A brief distinction:

• There is Alcohol - i.e. Ethanol or perfumers alcohol. There are many other alcohols I know, this is an example of an alcohol.
  • Organic Chemistry has a classification system called functional groups and alcohol is one of these. i.e. A compound can be an Alcohol without referring to or meaning ethanol or perfumers alcohol.
Very briefly: The alcohol function group in Organic Chemistry is defined by the (-OH) hydroxyl functional group being bound to the carbon atom. They can deprotonate, enjoy polarity, and many other fascinating but (to me) complex things. Suffice to say remembering that when I mention 'alcohol' I mean a compound not the addition of perfumers alcohol.

*@alfredus or @TomG may want to correct me about this section. My intention is to create the most elementary distinction so no confusion occurs.

Equipment
We will need a few bits and pieces for this exercize, while it's in no way as complicated as Aftershave the need for accurate measurement, clean suitable containers, pure unadulterated compounds and detailed, precise documentation is essential.

Measurement
Much to the chargrin of the chemists I am going to be using ml again to measure, I know I know but most people do not own digital scales with sufficient accuracy to formulate and this is a DIY thread.

Pyrex glass Measuring Jug to 500ml or Laboratory Graduated Cylinder to 250mls
You can use the Pyrex measuring jugs available in most supermarkets as they indicate 50ml and 100ml quantities and so forth, they are not incredibly accurate but should suffice for basic quantity measurement if you really must.

Even better though is "laboratory graduated cylinder" (google). I bought a 100ml lab measuring tube with 1ml gradients for $9.00 and a 250ml capacity for $15.00 which is not very much. These are much more accurate for measurements, are easily cleaned and allow you to make accurate readings of fluid volumes.

You will want a 500ml Pyrex Glass measuring jug (or larger) as well as a graduated cyclinder as you will need to heat various solutions I describe in certain 'phases' but more about this later.

Sterile 250ml or 500ml Plastic PET Bottles
These are available from many places for around $2 to $3 each. I use brand new food grade ones myself, obviously these should not be used to store alcohol solutions but for facial toners they are more than satisfactory. You can use glass bottles if you so wish the main point is ensure whatever you use is brand new and has not been used to store anything else even if you think it's harmless as we ensure always that we do not introduce any contamination.

1ml and 3ml Disposable Plastic Pipettes

Easily obtained from the internet, many aromatherapy and chemical supply houses sell these in packets of 10 for $1.00 or 50 for $5.00 etc. Do a bit of searching, they are easily found.

Compounds and Liquids
I will be using mainly water based compounds, many of the compounds in this list come in alcohol, oil or water based preparations or as concentrated extract powders - extracts mix with water but must be weighed very accurately due to their concentration.

• Distilled Water - This is purified, deionized water that is certified to contain no contaminants. It is very important that you obtain pure water, home filtered water is not acceptable and main contain pathogens, minerals or bacteria. A litre of pure distilled water from a reputable suppler costs around $5 a litre.
  • Witch Hazel (Hamamelis Virginiana) - Available in 100ml, 250ml, 500ml water based preparation. We will be using this as 30% of our toner so if we want to make 100mls of toner we would use 30mls of Witch Hazel make sure that we buy enough. WH is the everyday wet-shavers astringent we all know and love and is contained in just about every wet shaving aftershave ever. It's also known as Witch Hazel Hydrosol when it is prepared without alcohol. It varies in price but 100ml should cost no more than $5 or so. Witch Hazel contains alcohol but there is a big difference between Witch Hazel Hydrosol and Witch Hazel in Denatured or Distilled alcohol. It is very important for the toner that you do not buy Witch Hazel in distilled alcohol from the chemist for this toner.
  • Aloe Vera Liquid Juice Extract (Aloe Barbadensis Miller Leaf) - Available in 100ml, 250ml etc sizes this is again the water based extract and not the oil or gel based product. It is available everywhere and costs around $6 for 100mls or so. The gel form can be used if its water based but it is generally suspended with lots of glycerin which will be excessive for the toner and make your face feel unpleasantly sticky
  • Flower Hydrosol(s) - Flower Hydrosols are made when Essential Oils are made and there are many varieties from Rose to Jasmine to Orange, Lemon, Lavender, and so on. They are basically waters that smell very pleasantly of the flower and impart the scent to the toner. You can use as many of these as you like in your toner but I recommend using 1 or 2 at most. We will use around 20% of these in our toner however you can use more. For instance in a 100ml bottle of toner we would use 20mls of Flower hydrosol. You do not need a flower water to make a facial toner but some flower waters have a cooling, soothing or calming effect on the skin and a google search will provide more information here. Flower waters also make the toner smell really nice!
  • Chamomile Extract (Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract) - This again is the water based extract, you can use the concentrated glycerin based extract but this will limit the quantity you can use. It is available in 100ml, 200ml, etc bottles and starts at around $9 for 100mls of the concentrated extract in water. A 100ml bottle of the water based extract is a great starting point as we will use say 10mls per 100ml bottle of facial toner. Chamomile has been shown to reduce redness, irritation and swelling in some people. Chamomile also imparts a lovely wildflower scent to a toner or splash.
  • Calendula Extract (Calendula officinalis) - Calendula extract comes in alcohol based, oil based and glycerin based extract form and unfortunately there is not a water hydrosol available readily. In this instance the Glycerin based extract is fine, we use the glycerin content in the extract to provide the glycerin for our toner. A 100ml bottle of the glycerin extract is around $15 however we will only be using 1 or 2mls per bottle as it is at 15% strength in most cases.

So now we can see the list of 5 or 6 or so liquids we will need to obtain to make our Facial Toner, it is a basic facial toner with the basic structural elements that are of benefit to the face. We could add many more, we may want to add more than one flower water OR we may not want to add a flower water.

Safety - Avoid Bacteria and Pathogen Tea!
Some people choose to make their own 'tinctures' or mixtures using dried Calendula or Chamomile flowers that are available online. They use 'recipes' with tap-water, a saucepan and bit of heat - they make a 'tea' of flowers which they then allow to cool and bottle into old glass bottles from the kitchen (heinz tomato sauce bottles are apparently de rigueur with a nice cork stopper).

They are rather good at it, some even suggest macerating the flowers in the house hold blender to increase permeability and surface area so that more extraction of 'mother natures goodness' gets into the (unfiltered, mineralized) tap water and it's all non toxic and safe. There are hundreds of blogs like this advocating everything from facial toners to aftershaves made with fruit peelings and vinegar...

The problem is with these well meaning lunatics, there is a real risk of bacterial colonisation and or pathogen activity in these organic, unsterile teas. The very last thing you want to be doing is splashing bacteria and pathogen drenched water around your ears, eyes, nose and mouth on a daily basis unless you are completely intent on a systemic infection, a trip to ER and a strapping course of IV and oral antibiotics.

There are strict guidelines for the inclusion of preservatives in Australia for facial products and the same for extract solutions based on testing that demonstrated the outbreak of bacterial or pathenogenic activity in dirty flower and water solutions in filthy kitchen bottles.

If you insist on ignoring this sound, widely recognized and medically accepted precautionary advice please use some or all of the following easily available preservatives approved for facial products in Australia: Potassium Sorbate, Potassium Benzoate OR Optiphen Plus (Broad Spectrum). You may also want to invest in an accurate PH meter and a quantity of pure citric acid to deal with the guaranteed PH issues which will effect the overall toner solution...or you could simply spend a few dollars more for pure, tested and known safe lab prepared solutions and extracts.

Conclusion
That is it for this week, I will continue next week with some pictures and measurements and will provide the formula and some more details on the stages of making the toner. It's all fairly easy with only careful measurement, handling and processing of liquids required.

As always comments, questions, corrections are welcome!

Quite Typically I Omitted some Equipment Needed and Can't Edit my post!

A Thermometer
We will need a liquid thermometer, that is a thermometer that we can partially submerge to measure the temperature of our toner throughout the stages it goes through. I picked one up for $30 or so as it's a bit fancy, you can get them for around $20 - just make sure it can be partially submerged in liquids that get heated to 80C and it is not too small to read when it is placed into a pyrex jug that will be partially submerged in a saucepan of hot water

A Funnel
You will need a funnel to pour liquids into bottles, it does not have to be an expensive one however glass funnels are available from chemical suppliers for around $10 - $20 and these are excellent as they can be properly cleaned and sterlized. At a pinch you can buy a funnel from a hardware store, just ensure you buy one small enough to fit the aperture of your bottles (20-24mm).

A Couple of 500ml Pyrex Jugs

I thought about this and as I have a fairly large range of glass beakers and lab glassware now I realised that most people won't, as we will be mixing two or three stages having 2 or three 500ml Capacity Pyrex jugs (Coles, Woolworths, Target etc sell them) will be highly advantageous.

That's it for now, I just thought I would update the equipment list prior to next weeks installation so we can jump right into formulating, calculate and the phases of manufacture of our toner.

Week 1.5 – A text rich body of theory and instruction
So this is a bit on phases, mixing oil and water and temperatures. You will not necessarily require this to make a basic toner (You can mix it at room temperature and shake in the bottle for 3 or 4 mins) although understanding phases and so forth will be of assistance if you ever want to move beyond the very basics. I thought some people might find it interesting at any rate - I did :)

Before I start - If any of the resident chemists find errors, wtf's or just outright nonsense please jump in and correct me. This is all self taught and while I have dabbles and made aftershaves and toners that were actually quite good, I may just have got repeatedly lucky...

Bacteria – Pathogens - Controversy
Ok so firstly I have to stress again, do not reuse old sauce bottles, old clubman pinaud bottles or indeed any other old, or reused bottles for your toner as they are most likely teaming with bacteria and or all kinds of other nasties.

I will talk about a method below called 'heat and hold' which means heating solutions to 70C or so and keeping the heat there for 20mins in order to emulsify the solution but also apparently to kill the 'bad bugs'.

It's controversial, but my reading indicates that doing this will not kill enterotoxins and therefore I only heat to 50C-70C briefly for the purposes of emulsification. There are further controversies involving micelles, temperature resistant bugs (thermophillic) and so on. You need to make your own judgment here – If you use lab prepared solutions and kit, the likely hood of contaminants is very low anyway.

I do however maintain scrupulous cleanliness in regards to my 'kit', I use brand new bottles, pipettes, etc and all my materials are produced in labs that are approved therefore reducing the contamination risk substantially. In this regard it is always worth buying your liquids, compounds and kit from reputable suppliers.

Emulsification and 'Phases' in Making a Facial Toner
When we make skin care products, toners or moisturisers etc the stages of 'making' or more accurately manufacture are divided into phases.

What I have learned is that this a nice way of delineating things and ensuring that the actual chemistry works…. No one wants globlets of essential oil in a splash, or a skin cream with crystals in it or a bottle where one part sits at the top and one at the bottom of the bottle and requires shaking before use.

The use of phases if performed correctly and accurately ensures emulsification unless of course there are errors or failures, miscalculation or contamination of the compounds used. Now there are various ways to mix compounds (liquids in our case) that are not 'alike' such as mixing oil and water. In order to mix oil and water we must perform what is called 'emulsification'.

We can use chemical compounds to emulsify, we can use mechanical devices such as blenders (like olive oil and lemon juice for salad dressing), stick mixers or we can use heat.

We will be making a basic toner which you have the option of making using heat or without heat at all….either way we will only have one heat phase with one jug however I thought I would briefly cover the three phases as it is interesting and people may want to add more beneficial compounds to their toners. I should qualify that by saying I find it interesting, others may not.

If I'm boring the billy-o out of anyone, please skip the next bit until you hit the 'Basic Toner' heading as I do tend to go on a bit about things I have learned and am passionate about.

Advanced toners
Getting ahead a bit, but here we are. I want to do the actual toner formulation next time so I thought I would cover this now.

Most commercial or advanced toners usually require 3 phases; Oil Phase, Water Phase and Cool-down Phase due to having oil compounds and water compounds in addition to proteins and other skin beneficial compounds and the need to mix them all together.

Really Simply: One beaker gets all the oil compounds, one gets all the water compounds. Both beakers are heated together in a double boiler (Electric hotplate slow cookers work well) with a thermometer sticking out of each. When they both hit a certain temperature we time them for X minutes and then carefully take them off the heat and add one to the other and mix them in with the aid of a stick blender.

The Oil and Water phases 'require' that the solutions be heated to 70C for around 20 minutes – this is known as 'heat and hold' however I have found that 5 minutes of both solutions (the oil, the water) at 60C is sufficient to then take them off the heat, pour one into the other with a stick blender going full trot and they mix perfectly. Trial and error I guess!

I won't cover it here, but many compounds such as Essential Oils and absolutes are destroyed if heated and alter their chemical structures rendering them useless – these kinds and types of chemicals (lots of skin care specific compounds) are added during the cool down phase.

As we have mixed the oil and water solutions together (an emulsification) in the one beaker, we measure the temperature of this beaker and as it drops to a certain level (40 -45 C in most cases) we add our other heat sensitive compounds (Essential Oils for instance) and mix them in with said stick blender– this is the cool down phase

If you intend on making advanced toners (toners with expensive EO's or other skin care compounds) I would strongly suggest you do a lot of reading, research and preparation prior to making the toner. Many of the compounds are expensive, ruin easily due to having quirky heat points and the actual 'chemistry' can become quite complicated if you are new to it - this includes adding essential oils to a toner to fragrance it btw.

Week 2 - Making Your Toner

Apologies for the month break in the series, APR has been taking it's fair share of my time and I have not had the chance to come back and conclude the toner session and give you the formula.

I am going to keep it simple and provide a basic facial toner that you can either make with heating or without. If you want to use the heat method (or phase more accurately) grab the equipment in the 'Heat Method' list, if you just want to make it in one bottle and shake it all up then go for the stuff in the 'Cold Method' list. Either method will give you a usable facial toner to use after shaving that will have soothing and astringent properties in addition to reducing redness, swelling and so forth. The cold method limits you however in that you cannot easily introduce oils and skin care compounds in advanced formulas, it's solely up to you which one you choose to use :)

You can also use the equipment I detailed in previous weeks if you are planning on doing this regularly, I have compiled the list below from items commonly available to people for a few dollars.

Before Making the Toner

Please go back and read the previous posts I have made regarding facial toners, there is a lot of useful and necessary information in the previous weeks posts. If you just jump in here you may be lucky, or you may buy an ingredient or solution that has the wrong ingredients in it and your toner will be bloody horrible to use. The thing to remember is that oil and water do not mix

Equipment Needed - Heat Method
  • 1 x 250ml pyrex kitchen jug (Thick glass heatproof jug
  • 1x clean wide saucepan with 3 to 5cm of water in it- You will put the pyrex jug with the toner compounds into the saucepan so make sure there is not too much water in the bottom.
  • 1x 100ml cosmetic bottle with screw-top lid, it can be bigger than 100ml (i.e 250ml or 500ml or whatever) - any food grade empty, brand new bottle from a supermarket will do in either glass or plastic. Buy a nice looking one if you like.
  • 1x 30ml Medicine cup - Available from a chemist, these come in plastic and glass. Go for the glass if you can, they are much easier to keep clean.
  • 1x Thermometer, a food grade one is ok ($6 - $8 from a supermarket) but make sure it is brand new and has not been used with food. We want things uncontaminated and bacteria free, if its been used for food or in the kitchen then don't bloody well use it, you will contaminate the whole batch and introduce bacteria and all kinds of nasty bugs.
  • 1x Funnel
Equipment Needed - Cold Method
  • 1x 250ml Food grade bottle, Around $3 from a supermarket. You will pour your 100ml of Facial Toner into his and shake it to emulsify therefore buy a bigger bottle capacity than you need so the solution is easy to mix
  • 1x 30ml Medicine cup - Available from a chemist, these come in plastic and glass. Go for the glass if you can, they are much easier to keep clean.

Facial Toner Ingredients/Compounds
  • Witch Hazel (Hamamelis Virginiana) -You can use water based toner, or the alcohol based stuff from the chemist for this.
  • Aloe Vera Liquid Juice Extract (Aloe Barbadensis Miller Leaf) -Available from the chemist, you need one without too much glycerine that is water based. Not the aloevera gel. Take a look at the fluid in the bottle, it should look like water when you shake it and not be thick and syrupy.
  • Chamomile Extract (Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract) - This again is the water based extract, a lot of chemists sell it. It is just Chamomile and water in a dilute solution, get the strongest 'ready to use' one you can. Costs around $6 to $8 a bottle.
  • Calendula Extract (Calendula officinalis) - A water based extract here, lots of chemists or health food stores will sell it.
  • Optional - Flower Hydrosol - These are waters that smell of Lavender, Rose, etc. They make the toner smell nice and there is speculative but limited evidence that some can reduce irritation.
  • Optional - Distilled Water - Available from chemists, you want purified water that is sealed (No, you cannot make your own it must be bought and sterile)

The 'Recipe'

40ml
Witch Hazel
40ml Aloe Vera Extract
10ml Calendula Extract
10ml Chamomile Extract

Heated Method:
  1. Measure out the liquids using the 30ml medicine cup and place in the Pyrex jug.
  2. Place the Jug in the wide saucepan with 5cm of water, place the food thermometer inside the pyrex jug with the toner ingredients (not the water in the pan) and heat until the solution is at 50c
  3. Once the facial toner solution in the pyrex jug hits 50C turn off the heat and carefully remove the jug from the pan -*Use an oven mitt to remove the pyrex jug from the saucepan it will be hot*
  4. Remove the thermometer from the solution and keep stirring gently until it cools
  5. Once the liquid is cold and not before you may bottle it.
Cold Method
  1. Measure out the liquids using the 30ml medicine cup and place in the 250ml bottle
  2. Shake the bottle with the cap on for 2 mins.
  3. Leave the toner in a cool place sealed and shake every day, after 3 or 4 days it will be ready to use.
- If you want to use a Flower Hydrosol then use 30ml of Aloe Vera OR 30ml of Witch Hazel
- You can vary the volume of Witch Hazel, Aloe Vera, Calendula and Chamomile to suit your needs - Experiment with different ratios, find something that you like!

That's it, it is that simple to make a basic facial toner!

I may come back in a month or so if I get some time and discuss adding some further compounds to the toner to make a more complex, skin caring toner but my time in this regard is fairly limited at the moment and the process when you start mixing oils and waters requires a little more skill and understanding, in addition to some extra equipment and some more specialist compounds so I won't get into it now.
As usual, comments, questions or what not are always welcome!

Nice work mate!

Great stuff @todras (y)(y)(y)

I know they are not super accurate, but I love my hot milk thermometer, as you can easily clamp it on the side of your vessel (pyrex jug in this case) and don't have to hold it all the time...

Works perfect for me in the desired temperature region including for meat ~60°C :D

Plus they are stainless and so very easy to clean - no issues with cross contamination there...

Status
Not open for further replies.