RazoRock MJ-90 Initial Impressions

thisISjoel

TL;DR Great looking razor, fit and finish very, very good, no blade alignment issues, light, but balanced. Mild, really comfortable shave, not super efficient.

Hey dudes, my MJ-90 arrived today, so of course I shaved with it as soon as I got home :) These are my initial impressions based on one shave.

The fit and finish on the razor are lovely. The handle is gorgeous, if a little on the light side being titanium, and grippy. The head looks cool in matte black, although I did drop the top cap cleaning it taking a tiny chip out of the finish. I dig the two-tone look. The razor is pretty light, but well balanced and feels fine in the hand.

I went with P&B Sanskrit for the soap because it's one of, if not the, slickest soaps I own. No shower, but a good scrub with the bloom waters off the soap (I don't usually bloom soaps, but I just put some hot water in the tub for a minute or two more for the pre shave aspect of the bloom water) and got to it.

The blade was a Polsilver SI, my current favourite. I was a little apprehensive as reviews of the razor have been mixed with critics saying it is too mild and inefficient. Nonetheless, I tried to have an open mind and no expectations and just see how it shaved.

The blade lined up without issue and we were off to the races. The razor is smooth and mild. Really smooth and really mild. There is some audio feedback to let you know that hairs are getting cut, but it's not as loud and has a different timbre than my other safety razors.

The angle was easy to find and the first pass was very, very comfortable. Certainly not the most efficient razor, I've never tried any of the 89 razors, so I can't compare it to them, but I'd compare the efficiency to a Gillette tech or a slim on 2. Not as close as what I'm used to, but ok.

Second pass across the grain was equally comfortable. Recently, I've been doing two pass shaves (one with and one across the grain), but with this razor I wouldn't have been happy stopping there. It wasn't as close a shave as I'm used to getting with the two passes.

I decided to do an against the grain pass and it too was really comfortable, I really can't fault the face feel of this razor at all. I even went against the grain on my neck, which I pretty much never do because it's too sensitive, comfortably.

The end result was a close, comfortable shave. BBS in most areas, DFS in some trouble spots. A had a little redness on my neck "swirl", but that's pretty unavoidable for me, so I'm not taking points off for that. No nicks, cuts or weepers. The razor is definitely not super efficient, but it is mild enough that you can make multiple passes without irritation.

Next shave I'm going to try two passes, one across and one against the grain and see how that goes.

Again, these are only my initial impressions after one shave, I'll update the thread with the next few shaves.

Thanks Mate! I was looking at one of these this afternoon with a view to buying and just came into the office to have a look for one at Beard & Blade and saw your post first. Thanks... saved me some money! Last thing I need is ANOTHER mild razor!

Surely there's always room for one more ;-)

The handle is nice, and the shave really was very comfortable. I do think eventually I might find a nice SS head for the handle, especially if I keep dropping the friggin' head and ruining the coating.

Listen you pair of bloody twerps..... it's not ONE more I'm worried about!!!

I assume this razor is invisible?

Where's the pics

Excellent review @thisISjoel and thank you as i wanted to know how mild this razor was and more importantly how efficient. Convinced me not to purchase it though maybe the handle :)
Now if only @alfredus would expand more on his thoughts on the baby smooth? Especially against the Guerrilla and this one (mj90) :love:

@Ferret619 here you go and site link
DSC_1721_1024x1024.jpg

Excellent review @thisISjoel and thank you as i wanted to know how mild this razor was and more importantly how efficient. Convinced me not to purchase it though maybe the handle :)
Now if only @alfredus would expand more on his thoughts on the baby smooth? Especially against the Guerrilla and this one (mj90) :love:

@Ferret619 here you go and site link
DSC_1721_1024x1024.jpg

Yeah... I too am keen to know about the baby smooth! How about it, young @alfredus?

Thanks for the great review @thisISjoel - mine has not arrived yet, I'd assume it should come this week - else I won't see it before mid July when I am back from Austria...

Only 2 shaves with the Baby Smooth so far and I really enjoy it. It has an almost perfect level of efficiency vs. smoothness for me

And I absolutely love my Guerrilla as well - it shaves very similar to my Wolfaman - maybe just a tiny tad milder, but really very similar. The Guerrilla is probably a bit more efficient for me (compared to the Baby smooth)...but I am so used to James' razors, that I don't feel they are too aggressive. The Baby Smooth is maybe a tad milder compared to the Guerrilla - but again very close and in the same ballpark.

The Baby smooth is very close for me to my V1 Stealth Slant - a fantastic carefree razor. It won't give you a polished dolphin skin face, but close enough to make you happy. The Baby Smooth is more agile compared to the Stealth Slant, while I suspect the Slant can take care of longer growth easier.

The Guerrilla can give you a closer shave - but you have to take a tiny bit more care. Still in the joyful shave and happiness space though.

For me, both the Baby Smooth and Guerrilla have exactly the efficiency level I like for my razors...and just as a reminder: I need four passes, else I can't go ATG and if I don't go ATG I look like a teenager after his first shave efforts.

It's cirtainly different looking, it reminds me of something I can't put my finger on. Very cool rszor though

Only 2 shaves with the Baby Smooth so far and I really enjoy it. It has an almost perfect level of efficiency vs. smoothness for me

And I absolutely love my Guerrilla as well - it shaves very similar to my Wolfaman - maybe just a tiny tad milder, but really very similar. The Guerrilla is probably a bit more efficient for me (compared to the Baby smooth)...but I am so used to James' razors, that I don't feel they are too aggressive. The Baby Smooth is maybe a tad milder compared to the Guerrilla - but again very close and in the same ballpark.

The Baby smooth is very close for me to my V1 Stealth Slant - a fantastic carefree razor. It won't give you a polished dolphin skin face, but close enough to make you happy. The Baby Smooth is more agile compared to the Stealth Slant, while I suspect the Slant can take care of longer growth easier.

The Guerrilla can give you a closer shave - but you have to take a tiny bit more care. Still in the joyful shave and happiness space though.

For me, both the Baby Smooth and Guerrilla have exactly the efficiency level I like for my razors...and just as a reminder: I need four passes, else I can't go ATG and if I don't go ATG I look like a teenager after his first shave efforts.

Thanks again @alfredus, great information and quick too. Looking for a smooth and efficient daily driver and the Baby smooth and Guerrilla look and read like the razors I want/need. Unfortunately I have not received a secondary Guerrilla email as yet and the Titanium Baby Smooth is also out of stock.
The waiting game begins.

Also thanks @thisISjoel for letting me divert your post off topic. That handle is growing on me and may suit the Colonial General.

I have "only" an Aluminium Baby Smooth as well @RustyBlade - I must say the fit and finish is gorgeous and I am very happy with it. Should I get the chance to buy a Ti - I probably will, but I won't loose any sleep, if I don't

Ok, second shave, here we go!

Went with Soap Commander Courage for the soap this morning, shaved after a shower. Two passes, across and against the grain (2 x across the grain on the neck). Very close on the cheeks (near BBS) and moustache area (BBS). Not quite as close on the chin and less close than that on the neck (this is pretty standard for me though as my neck is both sensitive and has a weird grain pattern so I just make do with what I can).

Again the shave was very smooth and comfortable, but I did get a bit of irritation going against the grain. Nothing too bad, and my skin is quite sensitive, but nonetheless, it was there. I will continue to experiment with different combinations of passes to see where the balance is for me between comfort and closeness. Comfort is probably the wrong word really because the shave was very comfortable, there was just a bit of redness.

Thanks again @alfredus, great information and quick too. Looking for a smooth and efficient daily driver and the Baby smooth and Guerrilla look and read like the razors I want/need. Unfortunately I have not received a secondary Guerrilla email as yet and the Titanium Baby Smooth is also out of stock.
The waiting game begins.

Also thanks @thisISjoel for letting me divert your post off topic. That handle is growing on me and may suit the Colonial General.

No worries mate :) the handle is very nice and I reckon if you bought one and really didn't like the head you wouldn't have any trouble selling or trading the head.

Third shave with the MJ-90 this afternoon and I have to say I'm really enjoying shaving with this razor :) Just went with two passes today, with and across the grain (2 x XTG on neck) and the end result was a very decent shave. I think I'm starting to dial in the angle a little better, I still think it's not a particularly efficient razor, those two passes included many strokes over the same areas and some buffing, but still, decent.