Razorock Soaps

stillshunter

a man of resolve, a man of conviction
State Convenor - ACT
Group Buy Associate
2015 Sabbatical Fail
Anyone tried and/or tested one of these Italian soaps - either/or tallow and vegetable (shea) based?
I'm thinking of popping one in the Basket before I head to the checkout to pay for my Duke. psst..either way I've slipped in a tub of Razorock Aftershave Wax (that's into my basket), so will share my impressions under separate cover in a week or so.

Looking at the ingredients list of the tallow based Razorock Artisan range:
Stearic Acid, Tallow, Water, Cocos Nucifera, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Fragrance, Potassium Carbonate.

It looks remarkably like other Italian tallows such as Cella:
Cocos Nucifera (Coconut Oil), Tallow, Stearic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Aqua (Water), Potassium Carbonate, Parfum (Fragrance)

I really like my Cella - so easy to make a nice lather from and feels nice on the face and up the nostrils, so be keen to know if the Razorock is an inferior ape of the Cella, its peer, or a soap that stands on the shoulders of giants?

Cella is used by almost everyone who gets into wetshaving at some point, and it gets to ride the popularity train that comes along with Italian shaving products. It's cheap, accessible and good to shave with, so the bandwagon is huge. RazoRock isn't quite so popular, and they have so many different product ranges that it's hard to compare. You'll find that a lot of Italian soaps and croaps use similar ingredients. RazoRock have a reputation for producing replicas of other well regarded (and often expensive) shaving soaps. I think for a time that RazoRock was actually making Acqua di Parma soap, which was the same as RazoRock XXX.

Anyway, the point of this is basically just that the comparison to Cella isn't really fair. Lots of soaps are on the level of Cella. Based on the reviews that I've read, RazoRock make a good soap. Depending on which line you go with, different people (or companies) may be making the soap so some variation is to be expected, but regardless, you'll probably end up with a very usable soap.

Plus, if you don't like it, you can flog it off here.

I have a few. Good soap but I didn't like the smells I got. Floral ones like Lilly toilet freshner. But grab a good smelling one and be very happy I guess.

Yeah I was thinking Sandalwood - I think it's called Third Eye or the suchlike. Might be interesting to see how it compares to my Edwin Jagger Sandalwood Soap.

Yep, Razorock is made by the people who make the soft soap or cream for Aqui di Palma IIRC. Which provides a context for what brand premiums are about. Razo offer something Cella don't - a choice of scents. Worth a try, but brands like Cella and Proraso are simply excellent buck bangers.

Never tried the RazorRock I'm afraid

I've had a container of the xxx soap. Very nice and I did a review of it if you care to search for it. It lasts well and smells citrusy. You won't be disappointed with it.

I've had a container of the xxx soap. Very nice and I did a review of it if you care to search for it. It lasts well and smells citrusy. You won't be disappointed with it.
Thanks mate - got it here.

I was only thinking Razorock's artisan range but now you got me looking further afield.

How'd it compare to the tallowy goodness of Cella?

P.S., can't seem to find XXX from Razorock but can find 888. Hmmm….

Last edited:
I don't like Cella. The smell shits me. Not a marzipan fan.
I have tried it off course. It lasts well and is a decent soap. Not worthy of the hype that surrounds it in my opinion.
You can find many other soaps just as good.
There's a website in the USA that sells the razorock and hopefully they have the xxx.

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of the Cella scent either - reminds me of my childhood Easters. But I do like the fact that you just walk into its comfort zone and it starts lathering.

…so since you're talking to a newbie. What soap would you recommend for the budding face latherer with a Duke (2) on the way?

Everybody MUST like Cella - to not do so is a criminal wet-shaving offence ...

Great lather but not a pleasant shave with a clothes peg on your nose or suppressing violent chunder spasms.

Grow a pair and get over it.

Real men use soft Italian shave soaps.

Grow a pair and get over it.

Real men use soft Italian shave soaps.
So glad I bought and am using Cella then - my manliness rides on it. Hope it counts if it's only 150gs worth…and that the lather I create is sub-par.