Replating Service

Fantastic!

Great results by the looks of it. Much loss of detail do you think?

I can see Silvergleam getting some business coming their way ...

I have a Slim and a Fatboy which are candidates for Rhodium......
I know one of the FB models can be disassembled but the others can't.

The bloke at Silver Gleam (Tim) isn't keyed up on all the razors so the adjustables *may* be trickier to replate. Not sure.

Prices start from $50 Rhodium and $50 Hard gold. They took less than 2 weeks.

This Eclipse cost $80 to be replated. It's worth it for me as its my favourite razor by far and will be a heirloom for my son.

Great results by the looks of it. Much loss of detail do you think?
I'd have to check with my loupe I guess. To the eye there doesn't seem to be that much.

I can see Silvergleam getting some business coming their way ...
Certainly!

You could post in your razors and you can pay via DD. They said they'd add the GST for that. Otherwise it's cash at the shop as they don't have CC facilities.

I'm happy to act as courier for P&C members in *cough* good standing. @borked lives closer still so could also act as middle man. [emoji14]

I know one of the FB models can be disassembled but the others can't

I think you will find there was one outlier model that cannot and that's it, and it was from the very last of them. You can actually do it it you have a donor razor for the parts.

All the others you just remove the clip and they all come apart. There is sometimes some force required.

I think you will find there was one outlier model that cannot and that's it, and it was from the very last of them. You can actually do it it you have a donor razor for the parts.

All the others you just remove the clip and they all come apart. There is sometimes some force required.
Ok- so that was it. The other way around. There was a photo by photo guide to disassembling a FB I came across at one stage, should be tucked away somewhere.

Back to the replating. In that case, it's probably best to bring the razor already disassembled I guess.

That top plate on the Eclipse came up great. Looks much nicer without the plate loss.

@filobiblic I've walked further distances than they are located.
As discussed, I've sounded them out before and you are right, Tim is not that versed upon razors and his major concern is from prior experience.
He tried to replate a razor, only to discover it was not steel/brass iirc and totally dissolved!
If you can advise him of the manufacturing material, he is more than happy to advise if he can replate it easily or if it will be a time and labour intensive exercise/no go.

I've two Slims, one is begging for a replate and will be disassembled one day for clean up, inspection and replate.
Is there a conclusive resource as to disassembly/reasembly of different razors ? @Mark1966 looking in your direction mate :)

Great result and glad it worked out.

That top plate on the Eclipse came up great. Looks much nicer without the plate loss.
Thanks mate. I agree. I think it was the playing loss on the top that pushed me towards the replating. No worries now.

Slim, black beauty, toggle and any other adjustables/TTO I've missed also please ?

So what are the rules for getting a razor replated? Do they clean it first? What if there is a lot of oxidisation and that green stuff?

I'm considering my Gillette tech fat handle, but it's in pretty rough shape.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what are the rules for getting a razor replated? Do they clean it first? What if there is a lot of oxidisation and that green stuff?

From what I recall on threads elsewhere they clean and chemically strip the item, sometimes buffing as well.

The 'green stuff' is just oxidation of the brass that will not be a problem.

What re-plating cannot do is fill in a scratch or ding

From what I recall on threads elsewhere they clean and chemically strip the item, sometimes buffing as well.

The 'green stuff' is just oxidation of the brass that will not be a problem.

What re-plating cannot do is fill in a scratch or ding

Good one. Thanks. I've already brought this up with management to see if I should apply for funding.

Any pros and cons of the differencing plating materials?

Thanks for that. So Rhodium seems to be the go.

Thanks for that. So Rhodium seems to be the go.
Rhodium is bling-bling as well as the most durable. It seems to gleam even more than the stainless steel and Zamak/Chrome razors. Truly some shaving eye-candy!