Replating Service

You'll like it too... Oh boy!
So shiny.... My Precious...
I've already one rhodium and no doubt will have at least a slim replated in it :)

Has anyone used, or know of, a recommendable replating service. I contacted one place in Melbourne that I got from the phone book but they didn't know what a DE razor was or looked like.

I've sent some emails this week to various jewellers and metal platers. Some have expressed interest and some said yes they could do it, but I got the distinct impression that I would be better off sending it to the states to the guys who know about razors and their working parts, not someone who dips bumpers and doorknobs.
I'm waiting to hear from a local jeweller who made our wedding rings. I would definitely trust him to do it, but not sure if he will.

Has anyone used, or know of, a recommendable replating service. I contacted one place in Melbourne that I got from the phone book but they didn't know what a DE razor was or looked like.

I've sent some emails this week to various jewellers and metal platers. Some have expressed interest and some said yes they could do it, but I got the distinct impression that I would be better off sending it to the states to the guys who know about razors and their working parts, not someone who dips bumpers and doorknobs.
I'm waiting to hear from a local jeweller who made our wedding rings. I would definitely trust him to do it, but not sure if he will.
Your options are the same as here in Sydney.
1) Pay approximately $100 for postage and replating in the States ($20 to post and US$80 to replate depending what the razor is). About 2-3 months turnaround.
OR
2) Take some risk with a local replater here. If they are experienced they may do a decent job. About 1-2 weeks turnaround.

Both have risk. The U.S. option is still risky as they still may not do a job to your satisfaction. There have been complaints about services by some of the U.S. Based replaters. There is also the possible loss in transit. And the USD is higher now unfortunately.

Locally may be hit and miss. It all depends on your razor, it's condition and their experience (not necessarily with razors). Prices and time frame is definitely better locally.

You already seem to be confident a local jeweller would do a decent job. I agree.

Make sure that they clean and polish the razor BEFORE replating. Ask them. You could also ask them for example of what they have replated before. If they can replate intricate jewellery pieces then there's a good chance they can do a good replate job.

You must make sure it's not a Zamak razor - they can't be replated. Only vintage razors. And a simple 3 piece like a NEW or Tech would be easier to replate.

The Sydney replater I used (Silver Gleam) was given a Zamak razor a few years back and so they were cautious about replating another razor. They too hadn't handled many razors. But they are very experienced so I took a punt and it worked out ok. I don't know how they would go with an adjustable (Slim, FB) but they did a good job with a TTO.

@filobiblic did you (or they) disassemble the TTO before replating?
Nope. They did a great job.
Someone can chip in but I'm not sure the TTO can be disassembled. I know the adjustables (Slim and FB) are able to be disassembled.

From the pictures they certainly did. I bet they look even better in person.

I've seen videos of disassembly for Slim and FB but not for a TTO. Wonder how the springs in the Slim would go if it wasn't diasassembled

From the pictures they certainly did. I bet they look even better in person.

I've seen videos of disassembly for Slim and FB but not for a TTO. Wonder how the springs in the Slim would go if it wasn't diasassembled
Yep. They look fantastic in person. Worth getting for any of the reasons I & others listed earlier in this thread.

I'm not sure how they'd go. They may need to be disassembled. You'd certainly get a better result I'd imagine. Perhaps someone here has had an adjustable razor replated either locally or overseas and can comment?

I have a UK Long Open Comb GILLETTE cap and plate that need replating (Im in Bundaberg) and i want it done in RHODIUM. Who/What/Where/How$. Its a simple enough job, so TTO or handle, so how can i go about doing this cheap please? OZ prefered for the same reason... Anyone from here can drop off and pickup and save me would be appreciated too. email srhardy at gmail or mb 0430099066

I have a UK Long Open Comb GILLETTE cap and plate that need replating (Im in Bundaberg) and i want it done in RHODIUM. Who/What/Where/How$. Its a simple enough job, so TTO or handle, so how can i go about doing this cheap please? OZ prefered for the same reason... Anyone from here can drop off and pickup and save me would be appreciated too. email srhardy at gmail or mb 0430099066
Since it's only the head that you want replated, you could try asking local jewellers if anyone does replating services. I know Bundy perhaps might not have any, but it's worth a try. A top cap and baseplate would be fairly straight forward I'd expect.

Otherwise, you could give Tim from Silvergleam a call and ask how much? You could then post it directly to them. I've used them personally (and recently) so I can recommend their services. If he won't accept delivery of it via direct postage, send me a PM and I'll help where I can.

@MrT wanted a Tech replated but not sure if he has gone about it. You may be able to get them both done at the same time.

Yes I do and no I haven't yet. It's just a time thing unfortunately.

You could of course send Dave from restoredrazors an email. He is a legend and his work has to be seen!!!

He relocated to New Zealand recently, but maybe his setup has arrived and is up an running? Did a fantastic job on my first Eclipse Red Ring...

You could of course send Dave from restoredrazors an email. He is a legend and his work has to be seen!!!

He relocated to New Zealand recently, but maybe his setup has arrived and is up an running? Did a fantastic job on my first Eclipse Red Ring...
The link doesn't work... Perhaps he no longer restores them for profit?

Evening all, just wanted to update this. Dave Glynn is still replating in NZ. I asked the below in brown, just to clarify what the service entailed. He responded in blue. Pricing is on his website. To do a two-tone Fatboy in nickel and black chrome, he quoted $140 NZD (adjuster dial and tto dial in black chrome).

Bright Nickel replate – includes razor disassembly, stripping original plating, polishing, painting numbers and adjustment/alignment of mechanicals? $75 NZD (approx. based on chemicals).

Correct but the razor does not need to be stripped down or disassembled (most razor models were originally plated fully assembled at the factory). If the Fatboy is a model with the washer in the handle base that can be unscrewed, this can be done to allow doors etc. to be plated in a different colour though.

Great to hear his is fully operational again! He did my first Eclipse (still from England) and did an unbelievable job!
Before:
EclipseRR_1S_zpsfopckffx.jpg

EclipseRR_2S_zpsuhmyzcov.jpg

After:
EclipseRedRingReplated1S_zps26cqexfz.jpg

EclipseRedRingReplated2S_zps4htsdj18.jpg

I just acquired an English NEW Goodwill made for the French market, and the plating turned out to be not quite what I had hoped for (but it was cheap, so I won't complain too much).

View attachment 690 View attachment 691

Cheers, George

Silver Gleam in Sydney

Reactions: MrT