Restoring a Sheffield

Nonick

Sputniks orbit planet face
Group Buy Associate
So I got this Joseph Allen & Sons Non XLL to restore.

9WSfF0x.jpg

BCgy0zS.jpg

Clean with no rust, I want to take it apart and clean it up, repin it and get it honed.

Hopefully it comes up nicely.

Sounds like a plan. Let us know how you go. Post pics as well. It may encourage some of us to give it a go as well! (Although at this stage it's being added to the long list I have of shaving-related hobbies...)

Lovely looking blade that should come up well with the right TLC. I love the barbers notch. [emoji106]

So I've taken the pins out and separated the pieces.

I ground the peened ends off on an emery wheel (holding my breath - but it's all I had). Managed not to trash the scales which I want to use. I slipped a stanly knife edge under what was left of the washer and prised it off. I thought it would fall apart but the grinding must have slightly belled the ends of the rod because it was a lot of work to remove them.

Hwsj9DF.jpg

The blade had some play in it, not side to side but back and forward, the culprit became obvious when it was apart. The hole in the blade is large enough for three pieces of rod, and not only that it is rough in the middle, so much so it had worn nearly halfway through the brass rod.

7dqrUcE.jpg

This hole will need to be filled and drilled.

So things to do in the next few days.
A) clean up the blade & scales.
B) fill the hole with epoxy resin and re drill it
C) use a bit of vinegar on a ear bud to darken the etching on the blade

Is that doing a light etching of the blade with the vinegar? Kind of like what they do with a lot of "damascus" blades?
Or would it be forcing a patina in that small area?

I think it's reacting with the steel Egg, so the whole area darkens or goes brownish and you sand it back, leaving the deeper etched letters dark.

Here's the same blade before the vinegar darkened the etching.

pU6lDOE.jpg

He washed it off with some ammonia to neutralise the vinegar, but a chemist posted that a water wash off would be enough

And of course the chemist is absolutely right. Vinegar is a very mild acid and if you wash (dilute) it with water, it is enough to stop the reaction.

And of course the chemist is absolutely right. Vinegar is a very mild acid and if you wash (dilute) it with water, it is enough to stop the reaction.
You wouldn't happen to know that same chemist would you @alfredus? [emoji6]

Do you know what would enhance a gold wash? Or is once it's gone, it's gone...?

That makes sense - of course I am right :D :D :D

What do you mean gone? Is it just black or has the gold actually "flaked" off?

If it is black, I would try a silver/gold cleaning cloth first and see if that does anything to it, before starting with any polishes.

If you try a polish - definitely try something that has no abrasive (anything with grit) in it, as this will definitely remove your gold wash.

But I fear it was just a super thin layer of gold, that has mostly gone - so maybe you have to remove it completely or bring it to a jeweller for a re-plate...

Cleaned up the blade using a bit of inox and 800 sandpaper, then 1200. I want to leave some patina and character.

It came up pretty well really. Small circular sanding finished up clean yet aged. It's not new so it won't pretend to be.

u1vDuBR.jpg

1Rz3OJt.jpg

Now the etching.

A small amount of vinegar was heated in a cup in the microwave (not sure why, but that's what the chap did at SRP) then applied with an ear bud and left five minutes.

d9HP6C2.jpg

NRyF8sB.jpg

After five minutes the vinegar was rinsed off with water

Iu4FfDG.jpg

You can see where it's stained the steel. A light sanding back with 1200 paper easily removed the excess staining leaving the etching a little darker.

UahdDxQ.jpg

Not hugely darker, but satisfyingly easier to notice. Worth doing!

Next thing, fill that hole up with epoxy and re drill it.

Thanks Stuey, I'm enjoying the process - now that's what it's all about isn't it?

I just got a tip to sand the final spine to edge, which is the same was as the original grind, so it'll be less noticeable.

Thanks for the posts. I have enjoyed following along. Makes me want to join you!