Review Rockwell 6S adjustable razor

ROCKWELL 6S - interim findings

So I had my first shave with the Rockwell. Heard so many positive reviews that when @Anthony listed his I thought I'd have to give it a go.

Inaugural shave I thought it best to go with an intermediate blade - so opted for Voshkod; which I find is a middle ground of sharp and smooth. Advice was first shave to try #4. So loaded up with the #4 plate and off we go to attack 4 days growth.

Smooth? Man that is not the word. First pass done and it was effortless, felt like I'd not even touched the skin. Wow, time for the second pass so rinsed the face to apply round two of The Fat and....the stubble was still all there! Felt smooth alright. Felt like it hadn't touched the skin alright. Because it hadn't!

WTF!

Not happy. Went back and read the literature that came in the presentation box and then realised!...#4 is not what should be on the top of the bottom plate, but should be read from the handle.

Oh well, #2 is completely ineffective for my face. It may have just shaved like a #2 on my Wahl hair trimmer - taking the very top off my whiskers.

So finished the job on #4...like the proper 'other way' #4. Still earns high points for smoothness, but loses a points on efficiency - as post pass three and I could still feel some ATG resistance. I'm a harsh marker I know but a three pass shave with a straight leaves nothing there to hide. Even the R41 and the iKon B2 leaves no trace. NOTHING!

Oh well we'll try the #5 and then the #6, then we'll try posting it for sale.

ROCKWELL 6S - interim findings

So I had my first shave with the Rockwell. Heard so many positive reviews that when @Anthony listed his I thought I'd have to give it a go.

Inaugural shave I thought it best to go with an intermediate blade - so opted for Voshkod; which I find is a middle ground of sharp and smooth. Advice was first shave to try #4. So loaded up with the #4 plate and off we go to attack 4 days growth.

Smooth? Man that is not the word. First pass done and it was effortless, felt like I'd not even touched the skin. Wow, time for the second pass so rinsed the face to apply round two of The Fat and....the stubble was still all there! Felt smooth alright. Felt like it hadn't touched the skin alright. Because it hadn't!

WTF!

Not happy. Went back and read the literature that came in the presentation box and then realised!...#4 is not what should be on the top of the bottom plate, but should be read from the handle.

Oh well, #2 is completely ineffective for my face. It may have just shaved like a #2 on my Wahl hair trimmer - taking the very top off my whiskers.

So finished the job on #4...like the proper 'other way' #4. Still earns high points for smoothness, but loses a points on efficiency - as post pass three and I could still feel some ATG resistance. I'm a harsh marker I know but a three pass shave with a straight leaves nothing there to hide. Even the R41 and the iKon B2 leaves no trace. NOTHING!

Oh well we'll try the #5 and then the #6, then we'll try posting it for sale.
Give it a few tries at 4,5 and 6. You may need to adjust your technique a little. As you know I like an aggressive razor and I rate the Rockwell very highly. At #4 it is like a Fatboy on 6 or 7. For me #5 is a fantastic shave, a touch less aggressive than an R41 but total BBS and so smooth.

In terms of aggression, I find the rockwell on 3 equal to a slim on 4 or a 2 on a progress .

In terms of shaving result, I find rockwell on 3 equal to MAX on the slim! or 4+ on the progress.

This is why I love my rockwell. It's efficient and super smooth at the same time.

15977128_10206414637363227_8646340718394509889_n.jpg

Next shave with the Rockwell. Started at #5 then did the flip and continued with #6 on 3-4 days stubble. Much improved indeed. I can obviously toss the other two base plates out as they are useless to me....anyone what to swap so I have a spare #5/#6 plate? I think I have caught onto why the Rockwell s so popular. It is a very, very, smooth razor. I cannot deny it that. Something about the geometry and/or weight gives a smooth shave. It doesn't seem to bite and even pushed to four passes it doesn't seem to leave behind any irritation. No bite. No bite though as I fear its teeth have been filed down some. I could hazard four passes, no worries but I needed four passes to get to my minimum acceptable closeness. Still not straight, R41 or iKon B2 close. Granted one hazards on shedding a drop of blood to do so, so we have positives and negatives here.

Bottom Line: more testing required but the Rockwell 6s with #5/#6 base plate could end up a viable daily drudge-week shaver. Smooth, easy, no-thought shave that will get me to work looking presentable. I will test during the next few week to be sure.

BTW: I am serious, if anyone finds the #5/#6 plate too intimidating and wants to trade for the other plates just PM me.

It's a good idea for someone to trade plates.
I had done the same many months ago.
I then added a merkur top cap and made a second razor I keep in my travel kit.

The Rockwell is a truly kickass razor. Nothing matches its smoothness/efficiency combination.

Just had a look on the 6S page on Beard & Blade and there was apparently some confusion in the review section, regarding where the razor was made. They had it as 'made in China' for some time but they've fixed the issue and have it back to 'made in the USA', as per the Rockwell site itself. Hope it helps to clear up the confusion for anyone wondering.

Straight from Beard & Blade:
"Note: This razor is made in USA, however, the packaging has a mistake and lists China as the country of manufacture."

Just had a look on the 6S page on Beard & Blade and there was apparently some confusion in the review section, regarding where the razor was made. They had it as 'made in China' for some time but they've fixed the issue and have it back to 'made in the USA', as per the Rockwell site itself. Hope it helps to clear up the confusion for anyone wondering.

Straight from Beard & Blade:
"Note: This razor is made in USA, however, the packaging has a mistake and lists China as the country of manufacture."
Yeah the 6S is US made with both the 6C & TTO made in China. Read somewhere that the blades though 'Swedish S/Steel' where actually made in China as well...?

They don't list where the blades are made on their site, so yeah, very possibly.
If I'm not mistaken I think it had something to do with the packaging also mentioning China but I'd have to check my box to be certain. Might also be because many rate the blades as 'crap' but I find they compliment my 6S well and shave super smooth :)

When I want a reliable, no fuss workaday BBS, it’s invariably my 6S that gets the gig these days. Plate 2 for a new blade is the most reliable shave - absolutely no damage or irritation and amazingly efficient. If I am trying to reduce blade waste I then work my way up to blade 6 as the blade gets more shaves on it.

But the efficiency of blade 2 with a new blade is seriously impressive when no real care needs to be taken. If I want to concentrate on my shave I have other options but if I’m brutally honest the results are no better. Which has led to lazy habits - if I just pick up the 6S and only use a blade twice I am in shaving nirvana.

Just need to find an easy way of getting rid of the soap scum that doesn’t introduce corrosion risk to the stainless. It’s getting a lot of use and has completely cured my RAD...

When I want a reliable, no fuss workaday BBS, it’s invariably my 6S that gets the gig these days. Plate 2 for a new blade is the most reliable shave - absolutely no damage or irritation and amazingly efficient. If I am trying to reduce blade waste I then work my way up to blade 6 as the blade gets more shaves on it.

But the efficiency of blade 2 with a new blade is seriously impressive when no real care needs to be taken. If I want to concentrate on my shave I have other options but if I’m brutally honest the results are no better. Which has led to lazy habits - if I just pick up the 6S and only use a blade twice I am in shaving nirvana.

Just need to find an easy way of getting rid of the soap scum that doesn’t introduce corrosion risk to the stainless. It’s getting a lot of use and has completely cured my RAD...

You have pretty much summed up my experience with my Rockwell 6C its made shaving effortless and even more of a pleasure. Its so good I am seriously considering selling all my other DE's.

Hear, hear. Same for me. I didn't realise quite how good the 6S would be. You read the reviews and think...'yeah, it must be pretty good, I'll give it a try'. So glad I did, it really is a fantastic razor.

I can only echo this. The R4/R5 plates in particular seem to have an extra edge of efficiency over the mild razors, while still being basically as smooth as them.

they certainly haven't showered themselves in glory with the Model T saga......damn shame after the 6S.

Not only that, their marketing is getting a little over the top. "Premium high end materials" when they refer to their zinc alloy razors.
Don't get me wrong, I have had many excellent zinc alloy/zamak razors before, but they are far from being "premium high end".

Well I just had the 6S turn up today, wow love the packaging and wasn't expecting 110 blades with it!

So had to use it, was only 1 day growth and man I'm impressed with how smooth the shave is with it. Has to be one of my best so far, not sure what plate 1 and 2 are in there for lol, seemed to do very little but 3/4/5 oh so nice. Plate 3 and 4 for sensitive skin rock, 5 was a nice finish but I have a feeling may be more than I need as in repeated use might get me irritation. No sting post shave with alum...wow, just so easy. I think it may just be me but I swear the feedback had a different sound to normal for me as well. Blade used was only a Prime platinum (aka Dorco ST301) as it was the next to try in my rotation, funny as I really disliked the Dorco ST300.

Nice bit of kit, it's certainly a keeper and may well be my new daily..

Well I just had the 6S turn up today, wow love the packaging and wasn't expecting 110 blades with it!

Might want to chuck out those 110 blades from what I hear of them :(