Schick Proline problems with the Vector?

Gargravarr

Our resident snake charmer
I've read "elsewhere" that some shavers have had issues with Schick Proline blades not fitting correctly in the Vector, to the extent that apparently Blackland have taken them off their recommended blade list. Having recently taken delivery of 600 of the mothers, that is not good news, but on the other hand I have never yet had an issue with this. On yet another hand, it takes a long time to get through just one pack, so it might take me a longer time to find out.

Has anyone here had a problem with the Proline? It's still my favorite pick for the Vector, and probably for the Claymore Evo as well.

When I find time, I'll try popping a blade out of every one of the packs that I have to try it for fit, then (with just a bit of effort) pop it back into the injector.

When I find time, I'll try popping a blade out of every one of the packs that I have to try it for fit, then (with just a bit of effort) pop it back into the injector.

See what you can do when you don't ...

... spend 20 hours a week jumping through hoops for Centrelink ...

:ROFLMAO:

The Japanese Schick Proline is my favourite SE blade. Works great for me in my Above the Tie SE1.

¿Que?

I spend no time jumping through hoops for Centrelink. ...

Exactly, so you have plenty of time to manage your blade collection :)

OK, my check didn't take nearly as long as I thought it might. All of the blades I checked fitted perfectly. Which of course only proves that 1 in 30 is a good fit, but that's enough to satisfy me, at least for now. I'm just left with a niggling question as to whether newer Vectors are made to tighter tolerances than mine. It's just as well I don't really care, as I guess I'll never know, unless someone here is in a position to take accurate measurements of the posts and their spacing in a newly-made razor for comparison. :unsure:

Reactions: Hos
I've read "elsewhere" that some shavers have had issues with Schick Proline blades not fitting correctly in the Vector, to the extent that apparently Blackland have taken them off their recommended blade list. Having recently taken delivery of 600 of the mothers, that is not good news, but on the other hand I have never yet had an issue with this. On yet another hand, it takes a long time to get through just one pack, so it might take me a longer time to find out.

Has anyone here had a problem with the Proline? It's still my favorite pick for the Vector, and probably for the Claymore Evo as well.

Most of my Vector shaves have been with Proline and I have had no problems. Like you , I've bought Prolines in bulk so fingers crossed!

FWIW, here's my ranking of the Artist Club blades that I've tried:

1. Schick Proline
2. Kai Captain Titan Mild (PINK)
3. Feather Professional Super
4. Feather Professional
5. Chinese No-Name

1 and 2 were close, and it took me a while to make up my mind. I haven't tried any of the guarded blades, as I figure the trainer wheels are more appropriate to a shavette.

Can confirm the one proline I pulled out doesn’t fit in my vector. Titan pink and feather pro fit. The proline’s notches are a touch too narrow. I could take a file and widen one side but is it worth the trouble. Hmmm.

The prolines do fit in the claymore and raster.

2EY0uqu.jpeg

Can confirm the one proline I pulled out doesn’t fit in my vector. Titan pink and feather pro fit. The proline’s notches are a touch too narrow. I could take a file and widen one side but is it worth the trouble. Hmmm.

The prolines do fit in the claymore and raster.

2EY0uqu.jpeg
That said, while I get that excluding just one blade so the rest can fit with no play; it’s a pity as that one blade is reputably one of the best.

What a bummer. Do the pins fit in the slots individually? If so, it should be safe to shave a tiny amount off the side of the pins without affecting the geometry of the razor. At least that's what I would do. If you don't feel brave enough to do this, it's your razor and your call. (y)

If the pins are too big for any part of the slot, it might be a little harder to make it work. If I were in your shoes, I would shave a tiny bit off the back of the pins until the slot in the blade just clears it. Removing metal off the front of the pins will change the geometry of the razor.

Shane at Blackland has so far enjoyed a pretty good reputation for customer service. Maybe emailing him might yield results, but I would surmise that his decision to effectively blacklist the blade would suggest not. My view is that that's just lazy and arrogant, and definitely a black mark against him.

Straight from the horse's mouth. He does not say anything about the posts sizing being changed. A bit of Googling and I found Shane's posts on a different forum where during development of the Vector 4 years ago he tested out some Schicks and they fit. I've emailed him to ask if there has been any physical change in the current restock. In any event, the Prolines won't go to waste as they can be used in the Claymore or Raster.

Screen-Shot-2022-03-31-at-12-19-57-am.png

Straight from the horse's mouth. He does not say anything about the posts sizing being changed. A bit of Googling and I found Shane's posts on a different forum where during development of the Vector 4 years ago he tested out some Schicks and they fit. I've emailed him to ask if there has been any physical change in the current restock. In any event, the Prolines won't go to waste as they can be used in the Claymore or Raster.

Screen-Shot-2022-03-31-at-12-19-57-am.png
If I understand him correctly, that just makes it worse. He appears to be quibbling over the spacing of the holes, which makes absolutely no difference whatsoever to the blade's shaving properties once it's clamped. Maybe he's trying to start a market in pre-2022 Vectors. :asshat::asshat: I would definitely go ahead with a file or grinder if I were in this situation. Fortunately, my razor (bought new about 18 months ago) has enough slack around the posts to accept any blade.

Reactions: Hos
If I understand him correctly, that just makes it worse. He appears to be quibbling over the spacing of the holes, which makes absolutely no difference whatsoever to the blade's shaving properties once it's clamped. Maybe he's trying to start a market in pre-2022 Vectors. :asshat::asshat: I would definitely go ahead with a file or grinder if I were in this situation. Fortunately, my razor (bought new about 18 months ago) has enough slack around the posts to accept any blade.
I emailed him and directly asked if the post spacing has changed. Same answer as that forum post. So much for transparency.

While I consider myself handy enough, don’t think I’m comfortable with filing the post as too much can go wrong lol.