Schick Proline problems with the Vector?

While I consider myself handy enough, don’t think I’m comfortable with filing the post as too much can go wrong lol.
If you're only taking a sliver of metal off the outside of the posts, ie the side facing away from the threaded post, I don't really see what can go wrong. The worst that can go wrong is that other blades may slip slightly end-to-end, but once the handle is wound up, that'll stop. The only place you don't want any movement is perpendicular to the edge.

Blackland is only semi right to blame the Prolines being hit and miss in terms of manufacturing tolerances. Yes, if they're sloppy they fit. But if they're on point, the blade won't fit because one notch is not fully rounded. So with round posts, this straight bit won't fit on there. Seems so obvious in hindsight now. All the other AC blades have rounded notches on both sides. For whatever reason the Proline has this straight end on one side. 30 seconds with a dremel tool and I've got a proline that fits. Yes it'll be annoying to do this every time, but I'm ok to potentially ruin a blade than my razor.

SjvaAF7.jpeg

I don't really see what can go wrong.
Famous last words. :LOL: No doubt, with a steady hand and slow going it can be done. I'm just a tad apprehensive knowing my luck. If I ever get sick of dremelling prolines, then I'll give shaving the posts a shot.

300 odd vintage DEs and never had this problem

#justsaying

Perhaps write a very strong email review to the Vector designer to make the pin slotted on the head for an extra 3mm wider than the original diameter pin slotted, this should have been solved long ago for the Proline line se blade

Last edited:
Perhaps write a very strong email review to the Vector designer to make the pin slotted on the head for an extra 3mm wider than the original diameter pin slotted, this should have been solved long ago for the Proline line se blade
It was never a problem before. It seems the new 2022 versions have tighter tolerances that introduce a problem that didn't exist before. I presume mine was made sometime in 2020, and I have never once had a problem with the Proline.

It was never a problem before. It seems the new 2022 versions have tighter tolerances that introduce a problem that didn't exist before. I presume mine was made sometime in 2020, and I have never once had a problem with the Proline.
All in the pursuit of perfection. Perhaps to justify his price rise.

I've just read in "that other forum" that some people have recently been having trouble with Vectors not fitting in their own stands. They say they've fixed the issue for ongoing razors, but... seems to me someone's going out of their way to trash a great product. I count myself lucky I have a fantastic razor that works with any blade, but if I were in the market now, I'm wondering if I would bother. Seems like there are a few production issues to be resolved. And there is certainly an attitude problem that needs attention. Claiming that fitting problems are the blades' fault rather than their own machining is just lazy.

I really love my Vector, but Shane's attitude makes it much harder to honestly recommend to new users.

I've just read in "that other forum" that some people have recently been having trouble with Vectors not fitting in their own stands. They say they've fixed the issue for ongoing razors, but... seems to me someone's going out of their way to trash a great product. I count myself lucky I have a fantastic razor that works with any blade, but if I were in the market now, I'm wondering if I would bother. Seems like there are a few production issues to be resolved. And there is certainly an attitude problem that needs attention. Claiming that fitting problems are the blades' fault rather than their own machining is just lazy.

I really love my Vector, but Shane's attitude makes it much harder to honestly recommend to new users.
Yeah my Vector Ti doesn't sit that great in the stand so I gave it a quick touch up with mild polish and its better but still not ideal.

Fortunately I have no problems with Prolines or stand.

The stand is a very tight fit with microns to spare. So tight you can feel the machine marks when sliding the handle in and out

nnD4zZM.jpg

The posts appear to be 37.8mm and blades fit perfectly perhaps it is the blades, or are the posts too close and not too wide apart?

ZCRpvDm.jpg

Last edited:
OK, I've taken the time to measure the posts on my pre-2022 Vector...

IMG-20220429-094320.jpg

Like @Holiday's, the spacing appears to be wider than @neongas', and I've never had any problem fitting Prolines. The actual posts themselves are measurably out of round, varying in diameter from 1.97 to 2.03mm. I guess that ±0.05mm just isn't significant on my razor, but if the posts have been fattened up on recent models that might cause issues.

OK, I've taken the time to measure the posts on my pre-2022 Vector...

IMG-20220429-094320.jpg

Like @Holiday's, the spacing appears to be wider than @neongas', and I've never had any problem fitting Prolines. The actual posts themselves are measurably out of round, varying in diameter from 1.97 to 2.03mm. I guess that ±0.05mm just isn't significant on my razor, but if the posts have been fattened up on recent models that might cause issues.

Now THAT is the sort of calipers I NEED rather than my cheap and nasty and hard to read plastic one ...

.... oh, hang on, have just googled where to buy and seen the price!

Now THAT is the sort of calipers I NEED rather than my cheap and nasty and hard to read plastic one ...

A good quality vernier caliper is just as accurate, and you never need to replace the battery. At the time I bought this one (~25+ years ago), I was in a hurry, so I didn't shop around. The only advantage of the digital one is I don't need to have my glasses on to read it.

Welcome to my world.
Many thousands spent on multiple precision measuring tools. Digital, dial, analogue Verniers ( or better known as "Verynears" - Gargravarr will get that one)
Micrometers of all sizes, surface plates, height gauge, surface gauges, grade 1 gauge blocks, test indicators, depth gauges, internal mics, telescopic gauges, pointy dividers and calipers galore. The list goes on and on. I just hope my wife doesn't sell it all after I'm gone for what I told her it cost.
Do I need all of this? Probably not.
Do I want all of this? You Betcha!