September 2018 SHAVING Acquisitions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
tsr6KuGl.jpg

I appear to have acquired my own soap

Well mine is not so much a purchase but a friend a very special friend over recent years sent me a package and some really interesting stuff to keep me sampling for a while. There is some Squadron & APR
48NyydT.jpg
UPDATE They are actually the following: Squadron Dutch - Resistance Liquorice - Squadron Sweet Heart - A&E Asian Plum - A&E SoCal Hipster &APR Skyfall

A Fatboy I got off Ebay came in today, along with some 7 O'Clock blades made in Australia! The marking under the head says G2, which is apparently the second quarter of 1961.

I've only given it a clean under some warm water and soap; should I be good to use it?

6YKKpcI.jpg

Depends on how germophobic you are!

I’d say it is fine. If you are really paranoid you can soak in alcohol to kill stuff

A Fatboy I got off Ebay came in today, along with some 7 O'Clock blades made in Australia! The marking under the head says G2, which is apparently the second quarter of 1961.

I've only given it a clean under some warm water and soap; should I be good to use it?

6YKKpcI.jpg
If it were me, I'd do this:
  1. put it in a bowl and pour boiling water over it. (simple disinfecting)
  2. Let it sit until cool-warm.
  3. scrub with a soft toothbrush and dish liquid. (simple exterior cleaning)
  4. repeating step 3 with toothpaste can help remove slightly tougher grime.
Resist the urge to use anything harsher/trickier until you have done lots of research.
... I have had very unfortunate results from such risky endeavours.

Good luck!

If it were me, I'd do this:
  1. put it in a bowl and pour boiling water over it. (simple disinfecting)
  2. Let it sit until cool-warm.
  3. scrub with a soft toothbrush and dish liquid. (simple exterior cleaning)
  4. repeating step 3 with toothpaste can help remove slightly tougher grime.
Resist the urge to use anything harsher/trickier until you have done lots of research.
... I have had very unfortunate results from such risky endeavours.

Good luck!
Thanks, I've already used it although I might do the boiling water thing.

Thanks, I've already used it although I might do the boiling water thing.
You're probably pretty safe but there are lots of crevices in these things and comparatively a straight razor is easy to clean but I have found what looks like blood residue on a clean up of those under the microscope. I like the sound of the boiling water as it will penetrate and get into all the gaps etc and loosen crud up but I haven't been game to subject my TTO's to those extreme temperatures as I have never dismantled one and didn't know if there was any temperature sensitive components inside. Those that have dismantled TTO's report accumulation of gunge inside.
My usual procedure is to clean up as much as possible with soap and warm water then soak in barbicide for 10 minutes. Other threads talk about alcohol as not being as effective as the germ killing is achieved when the alcohol is evaporating so efficacy may not be high as barbicide for the insides of a TTO where evaporation of alcohol may not happen so readily?
I have also found that using an oil like Jojoba or Camelia (something that won't gum up, and not petrochemical based as you're using this instrument on your face) helps to mobilise gunge.
Probably the best method is to dismantle for a thorough clean but I haven't attempted that yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.