Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm...stainless steel vs zumak? You'll buy the former once, the latter...well maybe once only too but it's just not as cool.
P.S., the head of the Weber is a better geometry than any metal offerings from Merkur, Muhle, Edwin Jagger, etc.

That's great, and one opinion. I've tried a Weber, yeah, they're nice, even if they wobble screwing on, which to me is shoddy design. You still can't buy them if you're outside the US...

Great shave today with my usual travel set up, cold shave with warm lather, Voskhod blade and Stirling Electric Sheep - life is great in Ubud :)

Great shave today with my usual travel set up, cold shave with warm lather, Voskhod blade and Stirling Electric Sheep - life is great in Ubud :)
Now in Indo! Boy, @alfredus are you on a perpetual tour of SE Asia or do you run tours of SE Asia!?! Or...!!!?!

(I must say that Ubud is awesome! Such a lovely part of Bali...)

Wednesday 21 January 2015

191083d1421845016-sun-january-17th-sat-january-23rd-sotd-21012015.jpg

Le Grelot 361 The Lord Barber, 5/8 Full Hollow, Round Point

Lovely shave! This Le Grelot straight razor really is The Lord Barber. Smooth and keen, it gave me a superb shave. I must say this Mastro Livi brush is a super performer, soft with the right backbone, it is a real joy to use. A generous splash of my Bay Rum and my skin was absolutely smooth and velvety, with a lovely smell.​
  • Pre-Shave: Myrsol Emulsión
  • Soap: Tcheon Fung Sing Blue Tub Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Mastro Livi Silvertip, Madagascar Ebony Handle - 26mm Knot
  • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Le Grelot 361 The Lord Barber, 5/8 Full Hollow, Round Point
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: RazorGuy Bay Rum

Do you have a beard or moustache @razorguy? Just wondering since you have listed a post-shave oil both SOTD occasions so far...

Edit: Oh and I like your little logo you have for yourself! [emoji4]

Do you have a beard or moustache @razorguy? Just wondering since you have listed a post-shave oil both SOTD occasions so far...

Edit: Oh and I like your little logo you have for yourself! [emoji4]

No beard and no moustache here. Just a "clean face". I love using oils (my grandfather taught me that and I love it) because they give you a super smooth skin. Moreover both argan and olive oil are good skin foods and greatly help to soothe the effects of shaving.
And, by the way, I am glad you like my avatar! :)

Brush: Vintage butterscotch distressed Culmak reknotted with TGN Finest
Razor: Barbasol 'Floating Head'
Blade: Schick Super Platinum - shave 3
Cream: Jabonman 'Ylang Ylang Pachuli Naranja'
Aftershave: Floid

Same combo as yesterday, same great result.

Finished the Floid sample from the PCTB2 now - it was great stuff, wish i knew which version it was!

Finished the Floid sample from the PCTB2 now - it was great stuff, wish i knew which version it was!
The sample was put in by @JugV2

I believe we determined it was Floïd Vigoroso.

it's even better with some menthol crystals added

@razorguy , thats a great SOTD, but the star is your bottle of your own Bay Rum - massive kudos to you for that - love your avatar/branding on it - thats top shelf!

Great tip on the oils as post-shave, will give that a try. I have to say I always find it somewhat curious that consumers pay an absolute arm and a leg for products often largely on the basis of them having these tiny amounts of botanicals/natural ingredients in them - whereas it's often right at their finger tips to use these same key ingredients themselves for an overall superior outcome.

@razorguy , thats a great SOTD, but the star is your bottle of your own Bay Rum - massive kudos to you for that - love your avatar/branding on it - thats top shelf!

Great tip on the oils as post-shave, will give that a try. I have to say I always find it somewhat curious that consumers pay an absolute arm and a leg for products often largely on the basis of them having these tiny amounts of botanicals/natural ingredients in them - whereas it's often right at their finger tips to use these same key ingredients themselves for an overall superior outcome.

I am very glad you appreciated the bottle of my homemade Bay Rum. The label is not the best, but I have a black and white laser printer and this is what I can get.
As for using olive oil, this is something my grandfather taught me and it was once very popular in Italy to use olive oil as a post or after shave. It is a great trick and it works wonders, it gives you a very smooth skin while soothing the effects of shaving. Moreover olive oil is a great skin food.

Brush: Omega boar
Pre-Shave: Proraso Pre/post cream
Soap/Cream: Mike's Natural soap Peppermint and Rosemary
Razor: PH Weber
Blade: GBE [3]
After-shave: Myrsol Formula K

Lovely, lovely lather from the Mike's today. Refreshing shave over all.

Brush: Plisson Synth
Soap/Cream: ARKO!!!!!
Razor: Fatboy, 7
Blade: GBE (2)
After-shave: A slap of Alum.

Great shave, despite the urinal cake scent. The Plisson really does whip a lather as opposed to bubbles.

Hey, remember the questions being asked of my 5 -6 minute shave time suggestion?

Seems I was wrong - it takes a good 14 minutes or so according to @mantic59's research -

Venngage-shave-time.png

EDIT: I should point out that this is qualified as follows - 'There are a few variables but for the sake of those just starting out here are some general timeframes.' See the full context of this post on his bog here.

Last edited:
I think I was done in 7 minutes flat this morning. Mind you, wash & scrub of the face in the shower, then shaved straight after.

2 Minutes to build a lather? On what, the Arc de Triumph? Most of us tend to start a lather and complete it on the face.

2 Passes are generally enough for most, 3 is only if you have some troublesome areas.

I think I took 14 mins on my very first DE shave.

Status
Not open for further replies.