Status
Not open for further replies.
SOTD Wednesday, December 30

Cold water shave
Brush: Edwin Jagger badger
Soap: Johnny Good Sir TMBR
Face lather
Razor: Inoue Fujisuke kamisori

Have not used the kami for a while so took my time and really reaped the rewards. Slowed everyting right down, paying particular attention to each stroke, particularly my initial angle of contact with the face. Short strokes, correct angle, great shave.

JGS soap is a top scent. As I pen this SOTD 45 minutes post-shave I can easily discern the scent.

I am more interested in the packet/branding. They look like the La Brunes..... only the one I just checked had a code VK instead of IO above.

All the Vintage Wilkies made in England had those wrappers.

Came in a box of 200 blades. Amazing how little space 200 blades take up when packed like that. Someone else here also bought a box.

Yeah - that is all I have - received as such.

I know you've got more blades than you can poke a stick at but I'm happy to flick you some more of those Wilkies through if you want.

I know you've got more blades than you can poke a stick at but I'm happy to flick you some more of those Wilkies through if you want.

Appreciate the offer but I should stick with those I have before thinking of getting more!

Day Two of shaving nightmares ...

Brush: Vintage Simpson Butterscotch AS2
Soap/Cream: Mikes Natural Shaving Soap - Barbershop
Razor: Vintage Gillette L1 Slim Adjustable (7)
Blade: Vintage English Wilkinson Sword (2)
Post-shave: Myrsol Formula C

Lathered up and was thinking what a great soap Mikes really are, lovely first pass lather. Reached aimlessly for the brush - hey, where has the lather for the second pass gone? Thin, weak and barely there. Did I not load enough, is it this brush only barely used, is it the soap? All in all a great lather for the first pass and needed topping up again for the second. Odd.

With the poor lather on the second pass and the micro-nicks yesterday I was preparing for a real wake up call with the Formula C - surprisingly not, fairly mild sting and not the profusion of little nicks per yesterday.

I have no idea what has been going on these last two shaves but it is weird!

That's one of the burdens of vintage blades. They almost last too long. Aside from the need to clean the razor (of course you can just take it apart, clean it and use the same blade but I prefer not to handle bare blades if I don't really have to) it's just a bit boring too. There's always a wee bit of pleasure in deciding which one you're going to use next and with vintage blades that only happens at best twice a month.

I might just for something completely different and exciting have another spell of the worst blade in the world shaves.

Nearly two weeks later and I'm still on the same blade. Have no idea how many shaves the vintage Rubie has done, and can't remember when I last changed a blade.
I have a vague recollection of changing blades to a Wilkie I wasn't that impressed with when I came back off holiday in early November. I think I would have swapped that out after 4-5 shaves, but can't remember if it was the vintage Rubie or something else I must have thrown in mid November.

Tuesday night shave

Kamisori
Hoshitombo 6000
Pre-Shave Prep Derma Protective Cream
Brush The Grooming Co Synthetic
Soap Shaver Heaven Arctic Mango (thanks to @Osman)
Razor Ikon #102 Slant
Blade Permasharp
Post Shave Proraso Green Pre-shave

What started out as a wonderful shave ended in much wailing and gnashing of teeth :cry:

Two passes of almost 90% coverage with the Hoshitombo, just the chin and other fiddly bits left to the #102.
Final pass with the #102 left me damn near BBS. Rinsed off and applied Proraso as post-shave and started cleaning up when disaster struck.

Being a lefty I always leave my DE on the left side of the sink and the brush, soap etc on the right. Using the straight I've been leaving a towel on the right side to wipe off the blade. Picked up said towel to dry off the Hoshitombo after rinsing it when I heard something fall, looking down I was just in time to see my #102 slant bouncing in two directions off the bathroom tiles. Seems in my ineptness I'd placed the Ikon not to left of the sink but on the towel instead.

A one meter drop onto tiles appears to be enough to snap screw post off the top cap. I'm now the owner of a four piece slant :mad:
I'm hoping that a touch of JB Weld might be able to bring it back to serviceable status, otherwise I'm going to have to buy a whole new #102 head as it appears that Shavecraft doesn't sell only #102 top caps.

Brush: Boots Re Knot
Razor: EJ 87
Blade: Rapira
Soap: C&E Indian Sandalwood
A/S: Alum
Cologne: C&E Sandalwood

Still very surprised at the ease of lathering the C&E, 30 secs of loading, 30 secs on the face and more suds than I'd need for two shaves. Post shave is pretty average though.

......I'm hoping that a touch of JB Weld might be able to bring it back to serviceable status, otherwise I'm going to have to buy a whole new #102 head as it appears that Shavecraft doesn't sell only #102 top caps.

I don't think JB Weld is going to do much to be honest. You could end up with the cap snapping off again in the middle of a shave and end up with a blade embedded in your face. Have you tried to see if the cap from another razor will fit? That sort of swapability works with Gillette razors. Oops just realised it's a slant! I think you're going to have to bite the bullet. Bummer.

A one meter drop onto tiles appears to be enough to snap screw post off the top cap. I'm now the owner of a four piece slant :mad:

Very sorry to hear that...at least the head does not cost an arm and a leg and you might be lucky and get one used as well...

20151230_SOTDS_zpsxgs9eiz4.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Wolfman WR1-SB with WRH2
Blade: Ladas Super Stainless (1)
Brush: RudyVey Shavemac 2-band Silvertip
Lather: Mike's Orange, Cedarwood, & Black Pepper
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

As the wise philosopher @khun_diddy already said: FGS - although for me it would be more a friggin' great shave - or maybe I should say FSS - friggin' stellar shave :D :D :D

I don't think JB Weld is going to do much to be honest. You could end up with the cap snapping off again in the middle of a shave and end up with a blade embedded in your face. Have you tried to see if the cap from another razor will fit? That sort of swapability works with Gillette razors. Oops just realised it's a slant! I think you're going to have to bite the bullet. Bummer.
Yeah, I'm no putting too much hope in JB Weld. I might try drilling out the post and cap and threading them at 2 or 3mm and using threaded rod to hold them together - just need to find where my threading tools have gone. Probably cheaper and faster to buy a new head. At least they are in stock at the moment.

nF4XjRO.jpg

Proraso pre
Shavemac 173 Silvertip badger
Portus Cale soap
Gillette Old
Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow blade
Alt Innsbruck AS
Creed Vetiver

First post in a while. Also first shave for several days.

Great performance from the Portus Cale soap. It looks like snow white hard plaster the way it is set in its sturdy double layered tub. The scent is hard to discern. It's subtle but also unique. I get a light fresh cedar and citrus vibe but also a bit of green earthiness. The lather is very rich, slick and protective.

The Shavemac brush works this soap up a treat. Boy am I enjoying this brush. It's softer and less dense than I expected but that's no problem. It has great backbone and is prickly when rubbed on my face dry. Add the lather and the prickliness is completely gone. I've enjoyed it best when I take my time and slowly face lather.

The Alt Innsbruck is also a new favourite. All the hype on this product seems well founded. The scent seemed a bit too floral to me on first use but the sweet tobacco scent is what I notice now along with the light menthol hit. Gives a pleasant cooling effect in the hot weather. I'm not used to the bottle yet. Seem to be wasting it each time I try to tip some into my hand. Will need to decant some methinks.

20151230_zpscucgqw3b.png

Shave Perfection

Face Wash : Shower
Pre-Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Thater 2-Band
Soap : SV 70th Anniversary
Razor : Tanifuji
After Shave : Argan Oil, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver

Not much more to say - today's shave was pretty much perfect. Everything worked brilliantly - face lathered SV70 is just superb for straight shaving, and the Tanifuji razor was absolutely brilliant. It certainly justified breaking out the Tom Ford Grey Vetiver. Now if only I can do as well tomorrow.....

Kamisori Hoshitombo 6000
Pre-Shave Prep Derma Protective Cream
Brush The Grooming Co Synthetic
Soap Shaver Heaven Arctic Mango (thanks to @Osman)
Razor Ikon #102 Slant
Blade Permasharp
Post Shave Proraso Green Pre-shave

What started out as a wonderful shave ended in much wailing and gnashing of teeth :cry:

Two passes of almost 90% coverage with the Hoshitombo, just the chin and other fiddly bits left to the #102.
Final pass with the #102 left me damn near BBS. Rinsed off and applied Proraso as post-shave and started cleaning up when disaster struck.

Being a lefty I always leave my DE on the left side of the sink and the brush, soap etc on the right. Using the straight I've been leaving a towel on the right side to wipe off the blade. Picked up said towel to dry off the Hoshitombo after rinsing it when I heard something fall, looking down I was just in time to see my #102 slant bouncing in two directions off the bathroom tiles. Seems in my ineptness I'd placed the Ikon not to left of the sink but on the towel instead.

I'm hoping that a touch of JB Weld might be able to bring it back to serviceable status, otherwise I'm going to have to buy a whole new #102 head as it appears that Shavecraft doesn't sell only #102 top caps.

@StueyB - do you think the shave gods may have been displeased that you wimped out on shaving chin and fiddly bits with the Hoshitombo? Or that maybe they are helping you to get to 100% straight shave by denying the DE option?

Seriously, well done with the straight - you are almost there now :) Give me a hoy if you want to solve the 102 problem quickly ;)

Stellar shave PB!

The Alt Innsbruck is also a new favourite. ... . I'm not used to the bottle yet. Seem to be wasting it each time I try to tip some into my hand. Will need to decant some methinks.
So true! Funky looking bottle but hopeless opening. It'd be too bothersome to find a plastic reducer for the bottle mouth, but that would be another way to go as well.

Firstly a Merry Christmas to one and all!

Christmas Morning Shave

Post-shave: Vintage Herbal by Old Spice.
Hold your horses with that herbal mate.
It was only produced in '77 iirc and I know of only one other bottle, and the owners a bit of a scrooge :p

TUsing the straight I've been leaving a towel on the right side to wipe off the blade. Picked up said towel to dry off the Hoshitombo after rinsing it when I heard something fall, looking down I was just in time to see my #102 slant bouncing in two directions off the bathroom tiles. Seems in my ineptness I'd placed the Ikon not to left of the sink but on the towel instead.

Take a pic, send it to the manufacturer and ask about purchasing a replacement part.
Might get lucky and they sell you the individual item, or miracles might happen and they just send you one!

Status
Not open for further replies.