Shave of the Day - 2024

L1 is very similar to the 1912 Gem.
L2 is a setup from the 1912 Gem
L3 is the Blackbird Lite
L4 is the Blackbird Standard

L2 feels fantastic on my neck going against the grain when using a thick gem blade, but, L3 feels a little harsh on my neck going against the grain when using the gem blade.
Looks like you'll REALLY like the Atelier Durdan Vestige with the ++ (supérieure) plate then... ;)

Y5qDqt0.jpg

Houken 66 Deluxe 13/16 Half Hollow - Zenith Manchurian - Eufros Gea - Myrsol Antesol - Sukin Moisturiser

17 October - SR shave No. 1764
Yesterday I received two Gold Monkey 666 razors from @Andrew C. He had received these via AliExpress while ordering Gold Dollar 66 razors. You have to be careful when ordering Gold Dollar razors on AliExpress. Some vendors there will have in their fine print that they may substitute Gold Dollar razors for Gold Monkey razors. Same manufacturer and I, as of yet, cannot tell the difference except for the blade and scales markings.

The two GM666 razors were sent to me "as received" with their factory edges. @Andrew C asked me to hone them to shave-ready, return one to him and PIF the other on his behalf. One of the razors had a rather noticeable chip in its edge.
Z1lI1Si.jpg
wsJk1PS.jpg
I was not even game to put this edge to my rhinoceros hide-like skin with silken whiskers.

The other GM666 looked reasonable. I gave it's factory edge my chest-hair test and was surprised that it cut the hair reasonably well. Not a hanging hair keen edge but at least one I thought I would like to shave with. This morning I decided to give this factory edge a go.
QO9VPwK.jpg

I was surprised at how well this factory edge shaved. It was about as good as I would get of 3µm lapping film. The result was not super close, not great but it did shave reasonably comfortably, even in the fool's pass. I haven't sharpie pen tested the bevels, however I expect they will be the typical compound type normally experienced from most factories.

Over the weekend, I will hone both of these SRs up to my shave-ready standard.

17 October - SR shave No. 1764
Yesterday I received two Gold Monkey 666 razors from @Andrew C. He had received these via AliExpress while ordering Gold Dollar 66 razors. You have to be careful when ordering Gold Dollar razors on AliExpress. Some vendors there will have in their fine print that they may substitute Gold Dollar razors for Gold Monkey razors. Same manufacturer and I, as of yet, cannot tell the difference except for the blade and scales markings.

The two GM666 razors were sent to me "as received" with their factory edges. @Andrew C asked me to hone them to shave-ready, return one to him and PIF the other on his behalf. One of the razors had a rather noticeable chip in its edge.
Z1lI1Si.jpg
wsJk1PS.jpg
I was not even game to put this edge to my rhinoceros hide-like skin with silken whiskers.

The other GM666 looked reasonable. I gave it's factory edge my chest-hair test and was surprised that it cut the hair reasonably well. Not a hanging hair keen edge but at least one I thought I would like to shave with. This morning I decided to give this factory edge a go.
QO9VPwK.jpg

I was surprised at how well this factory edge shaved. It was about as good as I would get of 3µm lapping film. The result was not super close, not great but it did shave reasonably comfortably, even in the fool's pass. I haven't sharpie pen tested the bevels, however I expect they will be the typical compound type normally experienced from most factories.

Over the weekend, I will hone both of these SRs up to my shave-ready standard.
Please document the honing process for us. 🙏

SOTD Friday 18 October
  • Razor Gillette British Rocket HD
  • Blade Crystal Stainless Steel – Super Platinum
  • Pre-Shave Tricare Goats Milk
  • Brush Synthetic
  • Cream Nivia Sensitive Pro Cream
  • Post Shave Nivia Sensitive Pro Moisturizer
  • Aftershave Brut Splash
  • Balm Nivea – Sensitive Pro - Post Shave Cooling Balm

The Morning Shave.
The Crystal Stainless blade was in my c1959 Gillette British Rocket HD today.
2nd use on this blade. Head & face shave.
This blade is quite mild, no weepers or irritation, great for a daily shaver.

The Rocket HD is a good razor, very similar to the British FlareTip.

Nivea Sensitive Pro cream is very rich and creamy, I bought these as a twin pack a couple of years ago, really good value $5 Aus for both.
The scent is a mild floral.