Shave of the Day - 2024

Tuesday’s (tonight's) Sci-fi shave will be a tribute to the Farscape Series. To me, the main character of the series was Moya, the living spaceship of the Leviathan species. For whatever reason the Monocero Husaria razor reminds me of the Luxan martial arts weapons. This is appropriate as the razor was named after Polish Winged Hussars, a famous and historically significant cavalry unit known for their impressive, winged armor. The Hussars were renowned for their bravery and skill in battle, potentially symbolizing the razor's performance and resilience. Likewise, Titan blades also conjure up the ideal of the Luxans - strong, warrior-like humanoids with multiple arms and a culture built around honor and combat. The Sebaceans were blue-skinned humanoids with advanced technology and a reputation for diplomacy and hedonism. Their complex social structure and focus on pleasure create interesting contrasts with other cultures, much as the sophistication of the Truefitt & Hill pre-shave oil contrasts with tonight’s other players. The Suribachi bowl reminds me of the Nebari and their rigid, conformist society. Lastly, the badger brush with a Canadian Loonie in the base evokes the Furlings – adorable furry creatures with advanced technology and a peaceful, non-physical existence... :)

Rich (BB code):
230219 by James Stikeleather, on Flickr

Yintal.jpg

Yintal 13/16 Hollow/Dressed in Red Beechwood (China)
I purchased three of these for $21 including shipping. I cannot buy timber scales for $7 per set!
Boti 24mm White Horsehair
Areffa "Kentucky Bourbon"

3.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: TroyCraft "Polar Nocturne" 28mm AP Titanium
Soap: Pb Smokey Lavender
Razor: Blackland Sabre
Blade: Personna GEM Stainless
Post-shave: TND witch hazel, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay SPF50+ Invisible Fluid, Oxford & Cambridge cologne
COTD: Ismaili selection, Yemen

Just watched this video from Shane, mostly a mea culpa for letting production lag on the Sabre, but teasing us with the prospect of a redesign. I would be more impressed if he could articulate what he thinks could be done better. As it is, I'm still (fortunately) very happy with the original. It may not be the fastest GBS on the planet, but it's certainly at or near the top of my list for comfort.

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue 2016 Foro Afeitado Limited Edition Finest Badger 25/50mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Essence of Scotland ~ Malt 'n' Myrtle
Razor/Blade:- Blackland Vector Lite SS Matted Finished / Kai Captain Titan Mild #3
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerine (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Tommy Hilfiger for Men

Thanks for the head up on the YouTube above @Gargravarr

Last edited:
Continuing the SciFi theme, Wednesday’s (tonight’s) SciFi shave honors the Thunderbirds. The Tracey’s are well represented by their awesome machines, but I’ve never found Lady Penelope-Creighton-Ward’s pink FAB 1 that fit with my Thunderbirds so good ole Geo. F. Trumper’s Rose Shaving Cream and Coral Skin Food will represent them well. We cannot forget about Parker, my favorite character. I feel he would approve of the Haryali of London badger brush and the Taylor of Bond Street Aromatherapy Pre-Shave Oil. Both Lady Penelope and Parker (who probably has one in a pocket) would appreciate the Lord Platinum blade selection, even though technically it is from Egypt. Let’s not leave out Tracy Island, Secret Base of International Rescue and all its mechanical wizardry to move people and equipment around. Representing it in tonight’s shave is the Wangssolid Adjustable Razor – a one/two-piece (the top cap stays attached during blade loading and unloading) equipped with ROLLERS instead of a safety bar or comb and is continuously adjustable.

Thunderbirds are go! FAB 1 is rolling (well I guess technically lathering in this case)!

Rich (BB code):

19 February
This week I am going to work on getting this Wholly Kaw "Washington's Blend" soap to work for me. Each day I am shaving with my ⅝ no-brand Solingen full hollow, finished and maintained on diamond pasted balsa and dressed in golden wattle timber scales. To day's brush is a no-brand Chinese guaranteed pure best badger synthetic brush.
dbkUldy.jpg

21 February
No-brand ⅝ Solingen full hollow, finished and maintained on diamond pasted balsa and dressed in golden wattle timber scales. To day's brush is a Simpson "Special Best Badger".
Z7WYyRM.jpg

That's it for a while with the "Washington's Blend". I have found that if the brush is well loaded, the lathered soap can provide a good comfortable thee-pass SR shave. For slickness, I would rate it at about the same as Proraso green. I am not to fussed on this soap's scent but that is a personal thing. Now that I can get this soap to work, I will keep it on hand and bring it out when the mood takes me. I might even get to like the scent.

SOTD – Sun 18 Feb 2024

SOTD-20240218-setup.png

Shave Report: Summer Break is a new brand to my Den and has great School theme in their scents and Label art. The lather quality is excellent with medium-high density. Lather performance was top notch IMO. The scent is a sweetish Woody aroma, scent strength 6/10. The Standard Razors DE & Wizamet SI blade worked wonderfully well together to give me a smooth, clean and close near BBS shave.

The Gear:​

• Pre Shave: Suavecito Brushless Shaving Cream
  • Brush: Yaqi “Caramel” 26/58 Cat's Whiskers Synthetic
  • Soap: Summer Break - Wood Shop
  • Bowl: Yaqi Plastic Black “Duke”
  • Razor: Standard Razors AL DE (48gm)
  • Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (1)
  • Splash: Imperial Bergamot AS with added Menthol
  • Balm: Proraso Refreshing (Green) Crema Pre Barba
  • After Shave: Imperial Leather AS
  • Moisturiser (Later): Nivea Men - Anti-Irritation AS Lotion

SOTD – Wed 21 Feb 2024

SOTD-20240221-setup.png

Shave Report: To my nose the lather scent has a smokey, woody & spicy aroma, scent strength 4/10. Overall a nice clean, smooth DFS from the EJ DE89 with Baili Platinum blade, the blade did well not as sharp as Russian blades but better than many others I’ve tried from China, worth a try.

The Gear:​

• Pre Shave: Natio for Men - Smooth Shave Gel [A]
  • Brush: ShaveXDave “The Green&Gold” 24/55 APShave Synbad Fan [A]
  • Soap: D.R.Harris - Marlborough
  • Bowl: Whispers From The Woods [A]
  • Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 with Yaqi Quo handle (65gm)
  • Blade: Baili Platinum (1)
  • Splash: Imperial Bergamot AS Tonic with added Menthol
  • Balm: Natio for Men - Calming AS Balm [A]
  • After Shave: Old Spice Classic AS
  • Moisturiser (Later): Swisse Daily Face Moisturiser [A]
[A] = Australian Product

Now that I can get this soap to work, I will keep it on hand and bring it out when the mood takes me. I might even get to like the scent.
I'm glad you got the soap to work for you. Ages ago, when I first joined this forum, I scored a tub of their Chypre Rose Concerto from another member, a really passionate rose scent that at the time I thought was a little over the top. (I'm beginning to reconsider.) But I had no trouble with performance.

I still have the finished tub, which I am using to store self-drilling screws. They are probably the nicest-smelling screws on the planet. :LOL:

1.png

Brush: CaYuen "Copper Ore" 30mm DsCosmetic G7
Soap: Valobra + a drop of jasmine absolute 3%
Post-shave: TND witch hazel, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay SPF50+ Invisible Fluid, Oxford & Cambridge cologne

Lately I've been going hard on this Valobra, not because I'm keen to use it up, but because it's working so well I have to force myself to give it a break. When it's gone though, I think I'll continue my trick of adding fragrance according to whim with another unscented soap, most probably MdC.

1.png

Brush: CaYuen "Copper Ore" 30mm DsCosmetic G7
Soap: Valobra + a drop of jasmine absolute 3%

Lately I've been going hard on this Valobra, not because I'm keen to use it up, but because it's working so well I have to force myself to give it a break. When it's gone though, I think I'll continue my trick of adding fragrance according to whim with another unscented soap, most probably MdC.
I know what you mean regarding a run on the Valobra - once you are dialed in, it is hard to drag yourself to another soap, such is the performance.:)

Thursday's (tonight's) SciFi shave honors Jedi Master Yoda...

In the heart of a weathered workshop, bathed in the soft glow of dawn, a ritual began. Not one of heat and fire, but of cool steel and fragrant lather. Today, the shave brush wasn't just a tool, it was a conduit, channeling the balance of the Force. The Yaqi, its 24mm black and white bristles swirling like galaxies in miniature, dipped into a Suribachi bowl, its rugged surface echoing the ancient temples of distant planets.

A weathered hand, strong yet nimble, scooped out a dollop of "Yin" soap, a powerful potion brewed by the Wizards of Murphy & McNeil, the antithesis of the Nightsisters of Dathomir. The black and white symbol on its canister whispered of duality, light and dark, Jedi and Sith. With practiced ease, the lather bloomed, a swirling vortex of silver and charcoal, mirroring the clash within the Force.

Master Yoda, however, was not a Jedi of convention. He wielded not one, but two blades. The Feather Hi_stainless, gleaming like moonlight, danced in the morning light, representing the clarity of the light side. Its partner, the Feather Seikan, a shadow forged in carbon steel, embodied the power of the dark.

"Size matters not," Yoda murmured, his voice a rasping whisper. "Judge by size do you?" He chuckled, a dry, rustling sound. "Both blades, tools they are. Both light and dark, they serve."

The Cx-Mokume razor, its surface a testament to ancient craftsmanship by Sean of the Carbon Shave, rested on its Sashimono wooden cradle. Its Mokume-gane, wood-grained metal of swirling copper and brass from the heart of samurai swords, resonated with the history of conflict and balance. Each stroke would be a dance, a negotiation between the two sides of the Force.

Master Pre-shave oil, rescued from the Grooming Lounge on Kamino, a gentle lubricant, was applied, a reminder that even the most potent forces need guidance. The lather, now a smooth, harmonious blend, was painted onto Yoda's weathered face, each stroke a meditation on balance.

The shave began, the Hi_stainless gliding effortlessly, its touch a whisper of light. Then, the Seikan, its bite sharp and controlled, a reminder of the power that lurked within. Yoda, eyes closed, focused on the dance, the symphony of textures and temperatures.

With each pass, the whiskers retreated, leaving behind a smooth canvas. The Force, light and dark, swirled in perfect harmony. It wasn't just the removal of hair, it was a ritual of self-awareness, a reminder that even the greatest Jedi must acknowledge the darkness within.

Finally, a splash of "Yin" aftershave, part of the M&M Yin spell yet amped up by Trandoshan manipulation for a more potent sting, its scent a calming blend of earth and citrus, settled the tingling skin. The shave was complete, not just a removal of hair, but a journey through the heart of the Force, a testament to the balance that resided within even the smallest of rituals.

Yoda looked at his reflection, a weathered face etched with wisdom. He smiled, a small, knowing smile. "Balance," he whispered, "a delicate dance it is. But even the smallest shave can remind us of the Force within."

And with that, the Master Jedi, his face smooth and serene, stepped out into the light of the new day, ready to face whatever challenges the galaxy might throw his way. After all, even the smallest shave could be a powerful lesson in the balance of the Force.

Rich (BB code):

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC Two Band Finest Badger in Ash Wood 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Essence of Scotland ~ Mountain Yew
Razor/Blade:- Blackland Vector Lite SS Matted Finished / Kai Captain Titan Mild #4
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerine (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Tommy Hilfiger for Men