Shave of the Day Thread - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRxsrgB.jpg

Pre: Hot Shower, Truefitt & Hill Oil....
Razor: Timeless....
Blade: Gillette Rubie....
Brush: Shavemac....
Soap: AP Reserve Lixiviant....

Winning....

Dovo Bismarck 6/8 full hollow
Wolfpac Silk Road
Unknown brush with a restored Manchurian knot
Giles shaving co. bowl and brush soaker
Sam and Son Kangaroo leather strop

Day 2 for the straight razors shaves and another great result, although I nicked the top off a spot on my cheek which bled profusely. The silk road loaded really easily and produced an really great lather with ease. The new/old brush performed well. A bit of scritch, but decent backbone and flow-through.

LNL15A2.jpg

Pre-Shave: @nsavage pre-shave, cold water
Razor: Guerrilla
Blade: Ladas Super Stainless (1)
Brush: Paladin Chief Strawberry Amber
Lather: Stirling Gin & Tonic
Post-Shave: Alum, Thayers Original Alcohol Free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Blissful shave with the Guerrilla and some wonderful Stirling lather - the only question that remains is: which Gin for my pre-dinner G&T tonight :)

I hope you all have a terrific Tuesday (y)

LNL15A2.jpg

Pre-Shave: @nsavage pre-shave, cold water
Razor: Guerrilla
Blade: Ladas Super Stainless (1)
Brush: Paladin Chief Strawberry Amber
Lather: Stirling Gin & Tonic
Post-Shave: Alum, Thayers Original Alcohol Free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Blissful shave with the Guerrilla and some wonderful Stirling lather - the only question that remains is: which Gin for my pre-dinner G&T tonight :)

I hope you all have a terrific Tuesday (y)

If only I could double like a post.

What gins you got to choose from mate?

If only I could double like a post.

What gins you got to choose from mate?
Thank you very much (y)

Tanqueray (probably not, more for Negronis), Lobo Djinn Gin, Prohibition or Blind Tiger (currently my favourite) - except the first one all from SA (y)

Pre: Warm water, Crew Oil
Razor: Karve Christopher Bradley, C plate
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum Double Edge
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk2
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: APR Coolabah

Another great shave with this combo.

Last two days has been for going back to my start...

Yesterday:

Machine: Timeless 0.95 OC / UFO goliath prototype
blade: Astra green
brush: romera manchurian
soap: AP Reserve Fougere Bourbon Rose
splash: AP Reserve Fougere Bourbon Rose
EdP: AP Reserve Fougere Bourbon Rose

LifMsbG.jpg

I screw up something while resizing the pic...
For that shave my very first DE blade and high end artisan soap were choosen. FBR is a completely winner as scent. Released as winter scent, I always wondered at that point why should it be restricted to cold days when it is more like a year round one. And why one should have to choose the scent in regard on the season. Latter, other scents started to populate my wardrobe and then started to learn and to see the point. There are some scents that are really season specific, and others than can be more year-round. I reckon FBR is one of the last ones, at least for most of it down here in the apple island, and one of the top scents for me. Great shave with zero complications.

Today:

Machine: Weber / UFO Goliath prototype
blade: Ladas
brush: BSB2 Silvertip
soap: TOBS avocado
splash: Thayers cucumber
splash: WK La fougere parfaite

7LYMDbk.jpg

From this set, my first high end hardware (excluding blades) and my first kinda of 'expensive' soap were choosen. Very good shave. all rounded. this cream is so easy to lather that should be used or tried by anyone moving into wet shaving because of shaving issues. And perform well, very well. My first use of a thayers, it looks as others WH, but with a scent that dissipates fast. I was going to abuse AP Reserve Lavioletta today, but I remembered something regarding double applying witch hazel, so I went for WK. The only issue is that it burns me a bit at the end of the eyebrow area. Ladas made a superb job, nothing to do with my first trial, that was awful.

Last edited:

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: DR Harris H3 Best Badger
Soap: Razor Master Toivo
Razor: Pils 101NE
Blade: Vintage NOS Gillette Bleue Extra (1)
Post: CRSW Alcohol-Free American Barbershop Moisturising Aftershave, Myrsol Emulsion
Scent: APR Fenchurch EdP

The lesson from this shave for me is how important it is to match the razor and blade. The NOS Gillette Bleue Extra blade seemed tailor-made for the Pils razor; I achieved BBS with three passes, which I have not been able to do with the Pils to date without a clean-up/buffing session after the third pass.
The pollen count is bloody high were I live, as I am adjacent to a nature reserve, and Spring has well and truly sprung. Besides hayfever, I sometimes get mild hives, which can be a right royal pain in the kyber pass for shaving. Hence, I went with the extremely skin-friendly Razor Master Toivo, hailing from Finland. This soap has a Pine Tar base, and those who have suffered skin issues will know that Dermatologists have been prescribing Pine Tar products for centuries. It did the job nicely, with soothing light beige lather caressing my face. It was further assisted by my softest brush, the DR Harris H3. This was the first fair dinkum brush that I purchased, some 10 years back, and ordered direct from the manufacturer in London. They certainly sent me an excellent example, and it has only got better with use.
As Agent 66 would say - "aaaaahh". :)

Status
Not open for further replies.