Status
Not open for further replies.
Shower
Merkur 1904
Personna lab blue (4)
Omega 49
GFT Rose cream
Imperial Leather AS

This blade has been giving me a few weepers since the start. I thought it might just need to be worn in a bit but instead it got worse with this shave - although I was in a rush which doesn't help. An exception to a usually very reliable combo - just a dud blade.

Brush: Yaqi 30mm

Can I get a review of this brush please? I like big brushes and I'm keen to get a big synth but there are so many options - this one in particular looks really quite big in pics - maybe too big - how does it compare to something like a 26mm badger or a 28mm boar (which both feel about equivalent effective size in use to me)? Wondering whether 28mm might be more of the sweet spot for me in synths... don't want to go big just for the sake of it, unless this one is particularly good?

Shower
Merkur 1904
Personna lab blue (4)
Omega 49
GFT Rose cream
Imperial Leather AS

This blade has been giving me a few weepers since the start. I thought it might just need to be worn in a bit but instead it got worse with this shave - although I was in a rush which doesn't help. An exception to a usually very reliable combo - just a dud blade.

Can I get a review of this brush please? I like big brushes and I'm keen to get a big synth but there are so many options - this one in particular looks really quite big in pics - maybe too big - how does it compare to something like a 26mm badger or a 28mm boar (which both feel about equivalent effective size in use to me)? Wondering whether 28mm might be more of the sweet spot for me in synths... don't want to go big just for the sake of it, unless this one is particularly good?
As for the Yaqi 30mm, I too was expecting a fairly large brush but on closer inspection its has a larger handle than my Proraso (Omega) boar and similar height but slightly shorter than my PAA Atomic Rocket synthetic. The knot is no bigger than my 24-26mm synthetics and is on par for softness with my collection - RR 400 Plisoft; PAA Atomic Rocket & Gray Ray...

Performance wise its fairly soft but still manages to produce adeqaute lather via bowl or face lathering but I don't really notice any greater attributes than you would expect from similar mid range synthetics. Its mainly the handle that sets it apart from others and for a budget brush I'd happily buy Yaqi as their well made and plush knots - YMMV.

Date:- 01 October 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Yaqi Moka Express Synth. 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Ariana & Evans ~ Socal Hipster
Razor/Blade:- EJ 3one6 / German Wilkinson Sword #2
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20), Tea Tree Antiseptic (10), Lavender (15) & Peppermint (10 drops)
Fragrance:- Hugo Boss (Original)

HdyjOKc.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Rooney 1/3 Super Silvertip Badger
Soap: Murphy & McNeil Crann Bethadh
Razor: Blackland Blackbird
Blade: NOS Super Iridium BN-84 (6)
Post: Chatillon Lux Yuzu/Rose/Patchouli Toner, Musgo Real Aftershave Balm
Scent: Penhaligon's Castile

This is seriously good shaving soap.

Preshave: herbalism (Lush)
Razor: super adjustable
Blade: GSB
Soap: unscented (washpool farms)
Brush: magards yaqi

This combo isn’t an exiting one but all the lush stuff is doing wonders for my skin.

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: @Tony Forsyth P&C LE Platypus Shaving Brush
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fougère Trois shaving soap
Razor: Barbasol 'Floating Head'
Blade: Personna 'Lab Blue' (4)
Post-shave: Australian Private Reserve (APR) Fougère Trois shaving soap splash
Fragrance: N/A

Same same

I said yesterday that the Barbasol 'Floating Head' is a brutal beast if you are not careful, which is true, but I'm dialing it in now I think

vJDG9IHl.jpg

HdyjOKc.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Rooney 1/3 Super Silvertip Badger
Soap: Murphy & McNeil Crann Bethadh
Razor: Blackland Blackbird
Blade: NOS Super Iridium BN-84 (6)
Post: Chatillon Lux Yuzu/Rose/Patchouli Toner, Musgo Real Aftershave Balm
Scent: Penhaligon's Castile

This is seriously good shaving soap.
I agree that M&M make super soaps! Do you know what bass version this one is?
I used one of mine again this morning and rate it very highly!

Pre: hot shower
Brush: Yaqi Mysterious Space Tuxedo
Soap: Murphy and McNeil Claddagh
Razor: Rockwell 6s (R4)
Blade: Polsilver (3)

Much better shave with improved face and always great when no styptic is needed.

The soap is light years ahead of the cream I’ve used the last few days. Might have to consider what happens with the cream tub now, M&M has pulled rank!

Last edited:
I agree that M&M make super soaps! Do you know what bass version this one is?
I used one of mine again this morning and rate it very highly!

Pre: hot shower
Brush: Yaqi Mysterious Space Tuxedo
Soap: Murphy and McNeil Claddagh
Razor: Rockwell 6s (R4)
Blade: Polsilver (3)

Much better shave with improved face and always great when no styptic is needed.

The soap is light years ahead of the cream I’ve used the last few days. Might have to consider what happens with the cream tub now, M&M has pulled rank!
Hi Tim.
My tub of Crann Bethadh is the tallow base.
However, I also have tubs of Claddagh and Cliffs of Moher in the Aon base, and will be trying these out shortly.

Brush: yaqi synth
Razor: 6s
Soap: wk cuero oscuro
Splash: wk cuero oscuro
Probably should have switched to something a bit brighter for today's lovely sunshine but the soap was out and ready to go so I just stuck with it.at least I remembered the splash this morning.

AFpv18D.jpg

Pre: Hot Shower
Brush: Simpsons Chubby 3
Cream: Gillette Pure
Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable (M3) Setting 7
Blade: Feather (1)
There are a plethora of modern manufacturers from many parts of the globe turning out fantastic quality DE and SE razors produced to super tight tolerances and with almost drool inducing fit and finish! All the more amazing to me then when I take my fifty year plus example of the Slim for a spin and it gives me as good a shave (maybe better) than anything else I have in the armoury.

Happy Hump Day, enjoy the rest of the week!

There are a plethora of modern manufacturers from many parts of the globe turning out fantastic quality DE and SE razors produced to super tight tolerances and with almost drool inducing fit and finish! All the more amazing to me then when I take my fifty year plus example of the Slim for a spin and it gives me as good a shave (maybe better) than anything else I have in the armoury. ...

These are the words of a VERY wise man!

Pre: Hot towel, Pre shave oil (Nico's home brew)
Razor: RAW RS-10, Mild Plate
Blade: Feather
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk3
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Tabac original
WTG, ATG, touch up with adjusted angles for my beard

IMG-4918.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.