Shave of the Day Thread - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thurs 31st Jan

Razor: Supply razor and blade
Brush: Simpsons - Manchurian - Tulip 3
Soap: D.R. Harris - Arlington
Earworm: Don't Believe The Bullshit - Beans On Toast

The jury is still out on the Supply single edge for me. I will wait another couple of weeks before giving it a full report. However, in the mean time I have noticed that it doesn't seem to like the first pass, especially if I have longer than 2 day stubble. But, after the first pass the second and third are very good. I also find the head to be on the large size, especially when it comes to shaving under my nose. To Be Continued...

machine: Timeless 0.65 closed + Feather
brush: CRV manchurian fan
soap: AP Reserve Coolabah
splash: AP Reserve Coolabah

Very busy lately to post, for several reasons, but soon I will get some spare time. Next week I'm heading to an island with some Japanese researchers to keep doing stuff with the muttonbirds. Great that I will have an intensive week of Japanese cuisine. time to learn :)

LzdI7cO.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Rooney 1/3 Super Silvertip Badger
Cream: Occams Crushed Lime
Razor: ATT SE1 / UFO Tornado
Blade: Schick Proline P-30 (3)
Post: Thursday Plantation Tea Tree & Witch Hazel, CRSW Alcohol-Free American Barbershop Moisturising Aftershave
Scent: Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet EdT

Of the creams I own or have tried, Occams is one of the very few that gives my best soaps a run for their money.
I was at DFS+ after two passes, but couldn't resist a third against the grain pass for a BBS result.

w4oI8Xvl.jpg

Pre: Pb PSE
Soap: A&E Grecian Horse
Brush: Semogue 1305
Razor: Lindburg Munchen
Had the Arko there for a show of camaraderie for this month's Arko run but thought 'Nah, I'll stick with the artisan fare today'. Who knows, it might get a look in.:)

First use of Squadron soap and have to say i love it. Smell is amazing, lathers super easy, excellent cushion/glide and top post shave feel.

Tried a blade i thought needed changing after ydays shave but left it on for at least one pass and i was quite surprised. Finished a 3 pass plus touch ups for a very comfy BBS.

Very happy with the performance of the soap and look forward to trying more of their range.

Prep: Hot Shower
Brush: Yaqi Moka Express
Cream: Squadron - The Warden
Razor: Rockwell 6C R5
Blade: Persona Platinum (4)

46028105445_7b7aae94bf_b.jpg

Shower
Merkur 1904
Personna Lab Blue - 3
Derby Menthol Cream
Omega 48
Proraso Green balm

This is such a mild razor that going ATG for every pass is no problem. Yields quite a bit more efficiency that way too - very close to BBS today and my skin is in very good condition. Glad I persevered with these blades - they have turned into a compelling proposition with this razor... despite cutting me to pieces in nearly every other razor I have. My 6S on plate 1 was also benign but it wasn't close enough.

BTW I figured Derby is pretty much the same as Arko. My sole stick of Arko is too precious to just use up willy nilly so I'll be alternating with the Derby creams, which I want to post in the Finished Products thread. And no, I won't be getting any more Arko - it's too drying although I quite like the scent. I would be happy to get Derby cream again (hardly any scent - or menthol) but I have to use so much product that it actually wouldn't be all that cost effective... which would defeat the main point of a product like this.

Date: 01 February 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- RazoRock Plissoft Synth. 24/57mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Arko (4 shaving sticks grated into a 250ml plastic tub)
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Razor/Blade:- Gillette Red Tip E1 1959 / Vintage NOS England Wilkinson Sword #13
Post-shave:- Thayers Witch Hazel & Tea Tree Oil / WAHL Bay Rum Aftershave Splash
Fragrance:- L'Eau Bleue D'issey Pour Homme

Arko-shaving-soap-stick-from-Turkey.jpg

First use of Squadron soap and have to say i love it. Smell is amazing, lathers super easy, excellent cushion/glide and top post shave feel.

Tried a blade i thought needed changing after ydays shave but left it on for at least one pass and i was quite surprised. Finished a 3 pass plus touch ups for a very comfy BBS.

Very happy with the performance of the soap and look forward to trying more of their range.

Prep: Hot Shower
Brush: Yaqi Moka Express
Cream: Squadron - The Warden
Razor: Rockwell 6C R5
Blade: Persona Platinum (4)

46028105445_7b7aae94bf_b.jpg

To me, The warden is the ultimate scent approaching how a classic barbershop scent should smell

Lk8CAkO.jpg

Pre-Shave: Kiss my Face Olive Oil Soap, cold water
Razor: B&R Adjustable (2/1.5)
Blade: Voskhod (2)
Brush: Doug Korn D7 Turquoise
Lather: Stirling Bay Rum
Post-Shave: Alum, Thayers Original Alcohol Free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Another stellar shave shave with the B&R adjustable and some brilliant Stirling lather.

I hope you all have a fantastic Friday (y)

Pre: Hot towel, Crew oil
Razor: Gillette Fatboy D4 (5)
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum Double Edge
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk2
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Squadron Coronet Fougere

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.