Shave of the Day Thread - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are the first ever editions from the first release of APR (General Ledger is a nickname for Mark as he is so particular with accounting). If you check the 'Artisan' forum you will find the debut thread and the first release of scents way back when.

What I found strange is not the labels, but the fact Mark has 2 brushes in his sotd pic.....

This didn't stand out to me, maybe i thought there was a mirror effect happening....

... because I know I'm going to use this setup two days in a row :)

APRil Day One

ATT, S2, Colossus handle
Timor Blade
Simpsons, Captain
APR Fougere Trois soap & splash
I must admit, that when I received the Fougere Trois, along with Torchwood, back in March I was slightly underwhelmed with the scent off the puck. However, all of that changed with my shave this morning. The Fougere Trois is a wonderful soap, finished off with the splash my car was filled with the wonderful aroma all of the way to work. As with all APR soaps, I was very happy with the lather and now just have to decide whether to go the whole week with Fougere Trois, or mix it up each day. A happy conundrum to be faced with.

APRil Day One

ATT, S2, Colossus handle
Timor Blade
Simpsons, Captain
APR Fougere Trois soap & splash
I must admit, that when I received the Fougere Trois, along with Torchwood, back in March I was slightly underwhelmed with the scent off the puck. However, all of that changed with my shave this morning. The Fougere Trois is a wonderful soap, finished off with the splash my car was filled with the wonderful aroma all of the way to work. As with all APR soaps, I was very happy with the lather and now just have to decide whether to go the whole week with Fougere Trois, or mix it up each day. A happy conundrum to be faced with.
I'm in that same pickle - i might do 2 or 3 days consecutively and switch soaps.
Also very much agree with how pronounced the soap became once the brush touches it.

I'm in that same pickle - i might do 2 or 3 days consecutively and switch soaps.
Also very much agree with how pronounced the soap became once the brush touches it.
A happy quandary. I only have 5 APR soaps, and generally only shave Monday to Friday. Seeming as there are not five whole weeks in April, I am leaning to the switching it up each day.

lVdRaQS.jpg

Pre: Hot Shower, Truefitt & Hill Oil....
Razor: Timeless....
Blade: Gillette Rubie....
Brush: Paladin El Dorado....
Soap: The Club Chasing The Dragon....

Thinking about this more, I'm gonna allow it as the APR logo appears on the soap label... banish me if you want...

So what about Australians All? That must be the 'go to' on April 25 surely?

So what about Australians All? That must be the 'go to' on April 25 surely?
I strongly believe @todras should make another soap and aftershave call it APR 'Anzac Special Edition', that way we can give our highest respect to ALL Australian War Veterans who serve our country.

Last edited:
Date: 01 April 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- Stirling Finest Badger 26/54mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Wholly Kaw ~ Chypre Rose Concerto Special Edition
Razor/Blade:- Gillette Red Tip E1 1959 / Vintage NOS Gillette Bleue Extra #6
Post-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed with Tea Tree, Lavender & Peppermint / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
Fragrance:- Proraso Wood & Spice

Oyi4Q9u.jpg

Prep: DR Harris Shampoo bar
Brush: Savile Row 3824 Silvertip Badger
Soap: Lea stick
Razor: Merkur Futur (2)
Blade: Super Iridium (Polish) (3)
Scent: DR Harris Arlington

Final mine site Donga shave with the same set up. The work has gone well, but I am glad to get out of the oppressive heat and humidity.
Now that I've sussed that the water is hard, I'm nutting out a better method to lather to compensate. I am loading about twice as much soap as usual from the stick to my face, and also applying soap between each pass. Much improved, but I'm glad I don't have to shave with this water all the time.
I was on the third pass (ATG), and met with significant resistance on my neck, where my bristles are coarsest. I was confused, as this had not happened in the previous two shaves, and there was plenty of life left in the blade. Then it hit me - I had forgotten to apply pre-shave emulsion, which is a standard stage in my normal routine. Goes to show, at least for me, that a pre-shave product enhances my shave.

8yP0vCCl.jpg

Soap: Pb No: 34
Brush: Semogue 1800 Boar
Razor: Boker Tree Brand
Cracker of a shave. Love the Boker's. First run with the No:34 which proved up to the task. Some really nice sweet notes coming off the soap but maybe overly muted by the small amount of Neem in the base. The Camphor and Ginger add some lighter airy notes but could tone down a little especially if the damper is taken off. At any rate, worth the expedition.

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Australian Private Reserve (APR) General Ledger shaving soap
Razor: Gillette NEW head on TSW Bren handle
Blade: Personna 'Lab Blue' (2)
Post-shave: Australian Private Reserve (APR) General Ledger aftershave splash
Fragrance: Australian Private Reserve (APR) General Ledger EDP

Continuing in APRil with a shameless reuse of yesterday's photo! Used the brush on the left today if anybody is wondering.

0I0qdgsl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.