Shave of the Day Thread - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre: Hot Towel, Proraso Green Eucalyptus & Menthol Pre & After shave cream
Razor: Timeless, S/S, 0.68 Scalloped base plate with 14 mm x 85 mm dimpled handle
Blade: Feather
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk3
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Proraso Green Eucalyptus & Menthol
WTG, ATG, touch up with adjusted angles for my beard.
With the heat of summer nothing beats a fresh hit of menthol & eucalyptus. A nice refreshing shave with this kit.

First shave of 2020
F4rFY3k.jpg

I really wanted to christen the Timeless .068 SB - Scalloped Head for 1st shave of 2020 but the GC-84P/Feather still had one good shave left in it, even on 2 days growth.
Pre-shave: Shower
Brush: Semogue - Excelsior 1460 Boar
Soap: TFS
Razor: GC-84P
Blade: Feather (8)
Post-shave: TFS

Date:- 02 January 2020
Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Stirling ~ Pharaoh's Dreamsicle
Razor/Blade:- Schick Eversharp Hydro-Magic / Personna PTFE Coated Injector #5
Post/After-shave: T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20), Tea Tree Antiseptic (10) & Peppermint (10 drops)
Fragrance:- Tommy Hilfiger for Men

late 1940s super speed, plated in rhodium
Martin de Candre - L'Original
Sam and Son 22mm Silvertip
APR Passione splash
Lord blade

This was the razor that we gave my dad for his 70th Birthday (the reason I am in the UK). it is a late '40s super speed that I had replated in Rhodium. After giving him a bit of lesson in lathering and multiple passes (he's been a cartridge man for a long time now) he had a great two pass shave, which he thoroughly enjoyed.

I then asked if I could use the razor and he was happy to let me. All in can say is wow. I can either feed the RAD now, or wait until I maybe inherit this bad boy. This 70 year old razor shaved just as well as some of my favourite and top end razors, (I'm looking at you Charcoal Goods Level 2) and better than many of my other razors. All of this with a pretty crappy blade (in my opinion) which was three shaves old. It was also my first shave with MdC soap and this stuff is really really good.

Arrived in Amsterdam late yesterday. Staying at the same place I did last year, asked for the same room as I love the view -

neg1WGIl.jpg

At night it is just as nice!

d6BF92nl.jpg

In other news, I heard from my brother in Perth who have been house-sitting our place and pets in Canberra have been really struggling with the smoke - despite telling me that everything has been fine! So alternative arrangements made early morning here/evening there and they are now leaving to go back to Queensland where they can breath - that was certainly an adventure, but nothing compared to what some people have been experiencing.

PQGoMjO.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap,Antica Barbieria Colla Almond Oil Pre-Shave Cream
Brush: Rudy Vey Shavemac Three-band Silvertip Briar
Soap: Murphy & McNeil Crann Bethadh
Razor: UFO Tornado / Wolfman WR1
Blade: Vintage NOS Personna Super Platinum Chrome (1)
Scent: Boucheron Pour Homme EdP

Kicked off the New Year by loading my favourite blade into the Wolfie. What a great performer the Personna SPC is, ably assisted by the slick lather from the Murphy & McNeil soap.
Speaking of lather, I'm really enjoying this Rudy Vey Shavemac knot.

JYxAI0Wl.jpg

Soap: Pb Spiced Orange
Brush: Shavemac
Razor: Rocnel Elite
Blade: Feather shimmed (2)
It took my son and his friends over 4 hours to drive a bit less than 100 kms from Bawley Point to Nowra early this morning as the South Coast empties. Now just another 8-9 hours home to Dubbo. At least the traffic should be flowing a little better.

PwbRcyYl.jpg

Easy Friday morning shave for what is my final day of holidays before returning to the office.

What’s that? Where’s the soap?

Maybe we get that answer from here...

MwFTR47.mp4

As much I was loading plenty of soap into the brush (circa 7-9g per loading), and then hydrating it plenty to the point where globs of soap would slide down my face, there isn’t enough protection for the razor blade and I was suffering from several small weepers as a result.

So goodbye old friend. Your cousin tube is with me still, but you must now depart my house....

lwRaDro.jpg

p2ecpCs.jpg

Dec Jefferson B8
WR2
Feather
B&M Adagio

A couple of new additions to the stables, the first of many I suspect :ROFLMAO:
Bloody sexiest Wolfman :shifty: I’m trying very hard not to get one into my den, because, I don’t have any spare organs left to sell :shy:

Last edited:
Pre: Hot shower
Razor: RAW RS-10 Mild Plate
Blade: Feather
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk3
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Martin de Candre Fougère
WTG, ATG, touch up with adjusted angles for my beard.
Crème de la crème.

Ap6bhDQ.jpg

WWB + Maggard SHD 24mm
Merkur 34c
Perma-Sharp Super
Barrister & Mann 42
Barrister’s Reserve Waves

My 42 is now nearly empty. It’s been great, a bit of a daily driver. The first time I smelled it off the puck I thought it was too floral, but once lathered you get the zesty lemon side of it.

Great for a hot summer day here on the GC. We snuck in to the waterpark at a luxury resort nearby for great time !

Wow, so hot today I thought what better can I do to stay cool than go commando lol. Option No#2 was to stay hydrated with booze under the A/C ....Hic only I will nkow which ding I tid...

Pre: ice water face wash and bear oil
Razor: Yaqi Marpat Open comb
Blade: Feather (4)
Brush: Yaqi Marpat cashmere 'n boss
Soap: Razorock Mudder Focker
Post: Witch Hazel with Tea Tree followed by AS- Traditional Bay Rum

SQDj0ko.jpg

HWDM48h.jpg

Out of respect and gratitude to @todras for allowing me to procure these finely crafted quality shaving tools, I paired them with APR Passione for the inaugural shave
Pre-shave: Shower
Brush: BSB Spain 24mm - my first taste of a quality badger and boy is this thing dense
Soap: APR - Passione - I dont know what I prefer most - the slick lather or smell out of the tub - both are excellent
Razors: Timeless .068 SB - Scalloped Head - smooth and efficient - the closest shave I have ever experienced under the jaw where touch-ups are usually required
Blade: Astra SP (1)
Post-shave: APR - Passione - subtle and sweet

noRHIwn.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap,Antica Barbieria Colla Almond Oil Pre-Shave Cream
Brush: DR Harris H3 Best Badger
Soap: Signature Soaps Hibernia
Razor: UFO Tornado / Wolfman WR1
Blade: NOS Personna Super Platinum Chrome (2)
Post: Margaret River Hempco Lime & Vetiver Aftershave Balm
Scent: Guerlain Jicky

An efficient three pass shave for a DFS+ result.

Mini-Review - Signature Soaps Hibernia

The second soap from Signature Soaps that I have now tried. The soap texture is more a soft 'croap' - of similar texture to Declaration Grooming soaps.
The scent is fresh and delightful - the main notes I detect are lemongrass and citrus; looking up the details on the maker's website, I see that the scent is comprised of Lime, Lemon, Lemongrass, Sweet Orange and Lavender Essential Oils. The scent strength is mid from the container, and remains mid-strength throughout the shave.

As with the previous Signature soap that I tried, Hibernia is very easy to lather and reach correct shaving hydration levels. The soap has a very good lather yield per soap mass - I probably had enough lather for 5 passes from an almond-sized blob of soap. The cushioning and slickness were pretty good, but for some reason not as stellar as the previous Signature Soap I used. Maybe natural variation or the Shaving Gods were not with me? I guess further use will tell the tale. The post-shave feel was very good.

In summary, I liked this product and would consider purchasing it. It has a glorious scent, is very easy to lather, is a good performer, and has a very nice post-shave feel. I will test it a few more times to confirm performance characteristics.

Happy new year to all

Yesterday’s shave..

Pre-shave: cool shower
Brush: yaqi Mokka 24mm mew brown
Soap/Cream: Stirling executive man
Razor: R41
Blade: Wilkinson sword (Germany)
Post-shave: APR LaVioletta splash

Only shaved twice since I’ve been on leave (every 4-5 days) cos I’ve been slack.. the other shave consisted of the jaws, German wilkies, A&E Grecian horse soap & splash

Both shaves were a bit weird in that they both felt quite rough during the shave but ended in smooth BBS after 3-4 passes.

At first I thought the blade was blunt so changed to a brand new one mid shave (on first shave) but had the same rough feeling during the rest of the shave..

Thought maybe i got razor burn but none evident after the splash was applied or on the next day (on both occasions)

All I can put it down to is maybe I have a touch of sun burn or the length of growth (4-5 days) was too much..

Might have to shave a 2 day growth tomorrow to try narrow down the issue

Status
Not open for further replies.