Shave of the Day Thread - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
ILTvC8Ol.jpg

It still refuses to die...

But a great shave was had!

Vector
Milk Churn
E & J Mentol cream (nearly finished, only some Proraso to go after this)

The Vector is wonderful to hold and use, but I didn't get a good shave this morning. Whilst it was fantastic WTG for the cheeks as soon as I went to my neck and lower jawline it felt really rough, no matter how I changed the angle. So this was a 50/50 shave. Great above, bad below. Time for a new blade perhaps.​

Pre: Warm Shower
Razor: R41
Blade: Feather
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Pony
Soap: Stirling Executive Man

Today’s blade was selected at the recommendation of @SpeedyPC. Loaded the R41 with a fresh feather and built a lovely super slick lather with the Stirling soap.

Did I get a close shave? Absolutely!! But this was at a bit of sacrifice for smoothness, as sharp as feathers are, they are no way as smooth as my favorite Polsilver blades. There was a touch of roughness with these blades.

Did I get weepers? No.. but did manage a couple of tiny nicks..

Razor burn? I would say no, but I do feel a touch, and I mean just a touch, of tenderness.

Will I use this combo again? Probably not for a while. It was not an unpleasant experience at all, but why sacrifice comfort when a much smoother combo (with Polsilvers) exists.

49585092471_fff71e5d0b_b.jpg

KXU8lFn.jpg

Razor: Wolfman WR2 SB WRH7 SS
Blade: Ladas Super Stainless (1)
Brush: Tony Forsyth Matilda Prototype V1
Lather: Stirling Bay Rum

I hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday (y)

Last edited:
Pre: Hot shower.
Razor: Charcoal Goods Level-2 base plate, limited edition Victorian.
Blade: Gillette Rubie
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk3
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Squadron Group Captains Blend
WTG, ATG, touch ups with adjusted angles for my beard.

Brush: Yaqi 30mm
Razor: RR Game Changer .84P // Muhle 41 // Leaf Razor // Rockwell 6S (R6 plate)
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (6)
Pre: Shower
Bowl: Pereira Shavery Lathering Bowl
Soap: Pb no: 35.1 // Queen Charlotte Soaps Tangerine // Wickham 1912 Citrus Musk
Post: APR Restoration Peptide Concentrate Serum 15ml Tester A

My last few SOTD using some samples in the den with different DEs. Of the soaps the offering from @Pbgoose produced the best lather and cushion, so much so that I used it twice, with the QCS Tangerine fine but not as luscious. The Wickhams was also great and I love musk so the scent worked fantastically. As for the razors - hard to beat the .84P as its such a pleasure to use. Oddly enough I found the R41 smoother than last weeks shave with the Blackland Dart (both super efficient) and the Leaf was used for a quick head/face shave, and this morning grabbed the trusty 6S on R6 plate. The only let down if any was the blade losing its smoothness after the 5th shave but still comfortable enough for DFS results. Finished off with the Serum for what were 4 happy shaves!

Date:- 26 February 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Stirling ~ Tea Tree
Razor/Blade:- Karve CB Matte SS 'SB-C' / Vintage NOS English Wilkinson Sword #8
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (10)
Fragrance:- Tommy Hilfiger for Men

cI7Vl6D.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Paladin Lotus Select Badger
Soap: I Coloniali
Razor: Merkur Mergress (2.5)
Blade: NOS Gillette Bleue Extra (6)
Scent: Portus Cale Black

A super shave! The unobtainium I Coloniali soap is a thirsty Italian, but once this thirst is slaked, the lather is simply superb. It has a beautiful powdery scent, and comes in a very cool terracotta bowl.
Three effortless passes and I am BBS and grinning :D.

Love seeing all the awesome sounding soaps and splashes in this thread :)

I do have a question though. 9/10 appear to be shaving with safety razors. Curious what the reason for lack of straights being used for SOTD/daily shaves?

Love seeing all the awesome sounding soaps and splashes in this thread :)

I do have a question though. 9/10 appear to be shaving with safety razors. Curious what the reason for lack of straights being used for SOTD/daily shaves?
All the straight razor shavers died of blood loss?!! Or straight razor shavers are just so content knowing they already hold the holy grail of shaving they don't feel the need to post on SOTD?
No, I think we are just poorly represented on the SOTD thread. There's actually a reasonable number of straight razor shavers in P&C but DE shavers are better represented on the SOTD.
What is your weapon of choice?

Straights 100%. All I've used to do my neck and beard cut in lines/neaten up

I can admire a nice DE, have used one in the past (before I started growing my about to be removed beard) but I'd likely never actually purchase one for myself. It's something to do with how it feels in the hand, doesn't quite fit right with me. o_O

B59TfZh_d.jpg

RazorRock Plissoft
Merkur 34c
Feather
Barrister & Mann - Diamond
Barrister’s Reserve - Waves splash​

I always enjoy shaves with Diamond - something different, and the tub is now nearly empty. I am not sure if I will pick it up again if it is re-released though, there just so much to choose from. Have a great day all!

Status
Not open for further replies.