Shave of the Day Thread - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre: Hot Shower
Razor: WR2 1.25
Blade: Polsilver
Brush: Yaqi mew brown knot
Soap: Group Captain’s Blend - Squadron

Got my squadron soaps today and from the moment I opened the tub and I knew I loved it. This scent is amazing... Whipped up an amazing lather with plenty of slickness...

How good is it? I'm looking at getting a couple more, just waiting for Red Lead to come back into stock. Need to workout if I want Ace or Scramble as well though. Anyone have any thoughts?

Date:- 20 May 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- WCS Two-Tone Tall (Blue & White) Extra Dense Synth. 26/56mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Declaration Grooming ~ Admiral
Razor/Blade:- Rockwell 6S-R4 / Gillette Nacet #4
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (10)

Book 7 of 21.
325717.jpg

How good is it? I'm looking at getting a couple more, just waiting for Red Lead to come back into stock. Need to workout if I want Ace or Scramble as well though. Anyone have any thoughts?

Its great soap, using the warden tonight, with R41 + red cap

my mate got the scramble and i got to smell it yesterday.. i loved it, there is a slight sweet smell like the description says but its slight, not sickly at all.. very nice scent

49911798196_c47563e2f9_w.jpg

Pre-shave:- Shower/Bloom Water
Brush:- Omega - 10065 Natural Bristle
Soap:- Squadron - The Warden
Razor:- Blackland Dart
Blade:- Gillette Rubie (3)
Aftershave:- Squadron - The Warden

pvx3WVM.jpg

The Blackland Dart is a beautiful razor not as polished as the Wolfman ornate as the scalloped Timeless but a handsome piece of quality craftsmanship that provides a very efficient shave.

The vintage Gillette Fatboy is far better than the Rockwell Model T crap, I’m so glad, I’ve sold the Model T last year.

I’ve kept my three Fatboy’s, one Slim and also forgot that I have three Gillette Super adjustable in my den, two short handle and one long handle.
Is the fatboy better than the slim or is it just different?

Pre-shave: Shower
Brush: Tony Forsyth 26mm Best Badger
Soap/Cream: DG Milksteak- Sellout
Razor: Karve CB (B-SB)
Blade: Gillette 7O'Clock Black (3)
Post-shave: Cold Water Splash, alum, TSW After Balm

I remember using this blade fairly early on in my wet shaving days and thinking it was a good blade, now that I'm more consistent with my lather I find that this blade is a great blade! YMMV.

Pre: Hot Towel
Razor: Wolfman WR2, SB 0.95 Gap, WRH7 Handle
Blade: Feather
Bowl: Handmade bowl, Mk3
Brush: RazoRock Silvertip Synthetic
Soap: Valobra Cologne
WTG, ATG, touch ups with adjusted angles for my beard.

IMG-20200520-191645.jpg

Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket
Razor: Blackland Dart
Blade: Gillette Rubie Platinum (1)
Bowl: Pereira Shavery Shaving bowl
Soap: Cella
Pre: Shower
Post: Alum block // RR New York splash // Stirling Soap Co. Unsccented balm

A couple of nicks but still a smooth and efficient shave with regrowth 12+ hrs later! Happy shaves :)

Is the fatboy better than the slim or is it just different?

Very good question. I haven't really compared the Fatboy vs Slim or Fatboy vs Super adjustable or Slim vs Super adjustable.

I believe @Mark1966 has more knowledge comparing the Fatboy vs Slim.

Well of course it is each to his own - many people prefer one or the other because of balance, length and diameter of handle or asserted aggressiveness. Allegedly the Fatboy has 'better' balance (just different I think) and the Slim is more aggressive (maybe ?) but certainly the Slim has a slightly longer and thinner handle!

The solution of course is to get BOTH! :)

Pre: Break-in new brush with exfoliating scrub
Razor: R41 Base + Yaqi Brass Handle & Mellon Head Cap
Brush: Yaqi 2-Band Badger
Soap: The Warden

Exciting day today that certainly didn’t start out with a plan to shave with the R41 again, but the postman called and I couldn’t resist. Put the Mellon Head cap on was both in shock (exposed blade) and awe (love red). This cap has more curvature than the R41 cap but is also is not as wide exposing the blade more, which did worry me for sure.

The new 2-Band best badger so after a 3 hr soak along with a few rinses, the funk was gone and I decided to clean further with a Proraso Green face lather. Immediately I was amazed at how much I liked this brush, def more backbone than the yaqi silvertip and the bigger handle felt right at home in my hand so I was quite glad my original order did not go through.

Rinsed the brush and face lathered again but this time with the warden, love that scent. With caution I went XTG in the first pass and right away I noticed the audible feedback which was louder than the WR2, amazing. I still had plenty of blade feel but it did feel quite a bit smoother for me, which sent me into a false sense of security.

The first pass was so smooth I went ATG for two more passes AND applied a little more pressure!!! I decided to test the shave with an alum block and wow, I certainly felt the sting and my face turned a shade of red my cap would have been proud of, but it wasn’t anything that overly concerned me but right then I decided not to go with the warden alcohol splash but rather my Thayers witch hazel (cucumber) to aid in healing.. 15 mins later and my face feels like it has been buffed with a very slight tenderness. I am still thinking of apply splash but at this point in time I have not.

In the end, I believe the cap has made a big difference in sound and smoothness, but I did shave with this two days ago with the WR2 1.25 in-between so maybe not the ideal conditions for a conclusive judgement. Will revisit in 2-3 days without a shave and less pressure.

49915528221_aae98e6321_b.jpg

49915528141_24b4625413_b.jpg

49915059348_821acf06bf_b.jpg

49915570506_e3ab8283bc_b.jpg

Exciting day today that certainly didn’t start out with a plan to shave with the R41 again, but the postman called and I couldn’t resist. Put the Mellon Head cap on was both in shock (exposed blade) and awe (love red). This cap has more curvature than the R41 cap but is also is not as wide exposing the blade more, which did worry me for sure.

The new 2-Band best badger so after a 3 hr soak along with a few rinses, the funk was gone and I decided to clean further with a Proraso Green face lather. Immediately I was amazed at how much I liked this brush, def more backbone than the yaqi silvertip and the bigger handle felt right at home in my hand so I was quite glad my original order did not go through.

Rinsed the brush and face lathered again but this time with the warden, love that scent. With caution I went XTG in the first pass and right away I noticed the audible feedback which was louder than the WR2, amazing. I still had plenty of blade feel but it did feel quite a bit smoother for me, which sent me into a false sense of security.

The first pass was so smooth I went ATG for two more passes AND applied a little more pressure!!! I decided to test the shave with an alum block and wow, I certainly felt the sting and my face turned a shade of red my cap would have been proud of, but it wasn’t anything that overly concerned me but right then I decided not to go with the warden alcohol splash but rather my Thayers witch hazel (cucumber) to aid in healing.. 15 mins later and my face feels like it has been buffed with a very slight tenderness. I am still thinking of apply splash but at this point in time I have not.

In the end, I believe the cap has made a big difference in sound and smoothness, but I did shave with this two days ago with the WR2 1.25 in-between so maybe not the ideal conditions for a conclusive judgement. Will revisit in 2-3 days without a shave and less pressure.

The warden is an amazing barbershop scent. From those I have smell, is the only one that reminds me of barbershop classic, from an Spanish point of view who visited barbershops on his childhood. Everybody should have it (mine is with my old man back in Spain xD)

+1 After a few days with the Dart/Rubie that is the mot obvious difference to other razors 13 - 14 Hrs before regrowth. The only other razor I have noticed this longevity with was RR Lupo with Feather (y)
Yet to try the Lupo but the Dart shaves on par with the R41 for efficiency and blade feel. I'm glad @Nico gave me some Rubies as I struggled finding a blade that tamed its harshness with Feathers also working well but don't seem to get as many shaves out of them...? :unsure:

Do what I did and just get a tub of each as the scents are fabulous and the soap base performs excellent, plus you'd be helping out a local artisan!

The warden is an amazing barbershop scent. From those I have smell, is the only one that reminds me of barbershop classic, from an Spanish point of view who visited barbershops on his childhood. Everybody should have it (mine is with my old man back in Spain xD)

the warden is my favourite take on barbershop, it does take me back when I was a kid

That’s a lot of blade hanging out there😳

Status
Not open for further replies.