Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre-shave: Warm shower.
Brush: @TroyTools Pearl Honey - 2 Band Badger
Soap: Nobel Otter - Two Kings : Thank you @Gargravarr
Razor: Rockwell 6C (3)
Blade: BIC Chrome Platinum (1)
Post-shave: Nivea Sensitive Balm

Haven't been able to post anything about this brush yet due to exam period (2/3 done) but I have been using it a lot lately!

I wasn't sure what to expect with a badger brush instead of synthetic but it is super different. My synthetic feels soft on my face and the badger feels harsh when they're dry, but when they're loaded the badger feels so much softer. It's a very different experience and I love it. My synthetic lost a lot of hairs at the start and still does but this one hasn't lost a single hair yet which is surprising! I have been face lathering a lot lately just to feel the brush for longer haha. I'm in love with this brush 😍

I thought I would try a sharper blade this time, to try and knock down the hair on my neck without having to go ATG and at first I thought the BIC was doing great but I ended up with the same SAS result on the neck. Not sure how to tackle this problem.

Soap smells really nice when loaded!
Your brush looks great with those ceramics. Actually, it just looks great. :love: Glad you like the soap. I'm still finishing my tub of the older version, so I'm hoping the one you have works and smells just the same, just a change in colour as I mentioned in this post a while back.

No pain here - just a great shave!

vVsGP4wl.jpg

4.png

Pre-shave: Hot water, Pears soap
Brush: Forgotten Art "Tarkine" 26mm Tuxedo
Soap/Cream: Declaration Grooming - Big Soap Energy (sample) - Thanks @rhodes96 (y)
Razor: RR SS Hawk V3
Blade: Feather Professional Super
Post-shave: Shower, Homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+

Another new experience here. This soap smells very sweet and floral off the dry sample, but opens up into an accord that largely defeats my ability to identify the components. I get some cardamom, vetiver and oakmoss, but scent notes also include water lily (I guess that's the floral bit), bergamot, black amber and rosewood. I think that last might be a piglet of someone's imagination: I've sawn and carved a bit of rosewood in my time, and I don't see how anyone could get a workable scent out of it.

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: TF Customs - 28mm timberwolf knot
Soap/Cream: Razorock - Mudder Focker
Razor: Blackland - Tradere SB
Blade: Gillette - Stainless (red & white) (5)
Post-shave: Razorock - Mudder Focker AS splash, / A&E skin food nourishing cream

2 pass WTG daily shave = DFS+. A very nostalgic, beautifuly designed, weighty razor the Tradere is to use. Butter smooth shave thanks to the Gillette Stainless and the Razorock soap.

Hmm do I dare try such aggression on my neck 🤔

Maybe I'll try a small section and if it gets it off closer I'll give it a go but I don't see that ending well, without irritation and cuts haha
By riding the top cap WTG & ATG with zero pressure you won't have any issue at all.

sJqWLNh.jpg

Brush: @TroyTools Pearl Honey - 2 Band Badger
Soap: Nobel Otter - Two Kings : Thank you @Gargravarr
Razor: Rockwell 6C (3)
Blade: BIC Chrome Platinum (1)
Post-shave: Nivea Sensitive Balm

Haven't been able to post anything about this brush yet due to exam period (2/3 done) but I have been using it a lot lately!

I wasn't sure what to expect with a badger brush instead of synthetic but it is super different. My synthetic feels soft on my face and the badger feels harsh when they're dry, but when they're loaded the badger feels so much softer. It's a very different experience and I love it. My synthetic lost a lot of hairs at the start and still does but this one hasn't lost a single hair yet which is surprising! I have been face lathering a lot lately just to feel the brush for longer haha. I'm in love with this brush 😍

I thought I would try a sharper blade this time, to try and knock down the hair on my neck without having to go ATG and at first I thought the BIC was doing great but I ended up with the same SAS result on the neck. Not sure how to tackle this problem.

Soap smells really nice when loaded!
That's one beautiful brush. Great work @TroyTools! :eek:

Try a Nacet blade on R4 plate and let the razor do the work as its heavy but well balanced. A simple WTG 1st pass and ATG 2nd pass should be enough for DFS but don't over do it as the neck is a sensitive area and you don't want redness/irritation.... Best of luck!

Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket
Razor: Smart Helix Apollo H 0.50mm Mild plate
Blade: Gillette Stainless Minora (16) - thanks @rhodes96
Pre: Shower
Soap: MWF
Bowl: Peréira Shavery Unbreakable Lather Bowl
Post: RR New York A/S Splash // Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm
WTG, ATG, Touchups = BBS

In too much of a rush this morning to take a pre-shave photo but man was it an enjoyable shave!

MWF lathers with very little effort and the super slickness resulted in BBS even though I was using the milder plate. The blade is still sharp and shaves close with even regrowth lasting most of the day. I could stop now but the shaves are way too good so let the journey continue!!!

Stay Safe & Happy Shaves!

Brush: TroyTools Pearl Honey - 2 Band Badger
Soap: Nobel Otter - Two Kings
Razor: Rockwell 6C (5)
Blade: BIC Chrome Platinum (2)
Post-shave: Nivea Sensitive Balm, Alum Stick

Same shave as yesterday but this time on plate R5. Took it super slow and wasn't game enough to go ATG with R5.
Pretty similar shave results as with R3 but lots of sting from the Alum Stick afterwards so I think tomorrow I might try @Razor Burn s advice, nacet on R4 while keeping in mind what Speedy said too!

Dinner Interuptus
  • Prep: Hot Shower
  • Prep: Phoenix Shaving – Cube 2.0 Scentless
  • Razor: Razorock – Aluminium Lupo
  • Blade: Parker Platinum (0 uses)
  • Brush: Stray Whisker – 452/24 Synthetic
  • Lather: Ariana & Evans – Kaizen
  • Post-shave: Proraso – Alum Block
  • Post-shave: Proraso – Crema Pre Barba Eucalyptus & Menthol
Today’s shave was in two parts separated by dinner of sausage, bacon and eggs, a dinner of champions.

Tried the Lupo up on the dome with a brand new blade. A amazing lather from the Kaizen with the fruity scents filled the bathroom. The first pass was mostly harmless (apart from a few minor nicks). The second pass created one more nick unfortunately (bit of a heavy bleeder).

Next came dinner.

After dinner I was back for part two, the face. With the lather as gorgeous as part 1, I took three passes to beat down 11 days worth of growth after last weeks sickness. These three passes gave me a BBS shave for the first time in weeks.

Absolutely loved this shave, and looking forward to the next already.

Brush: TroyTools Pearl Honey - 2 Band Badger
Soap: Nobel Otter - Two Kings
Razor: Rockwell 6C (5)
Blade: BIC Chrome Platinum (2)
Post-shave: Nivea Sensitive Balm, Alum Stick

Same shave as yesterday but this time on plate R5. Took it super slow and wasn't game enough to go ATG with R5.
Pretty similar shave results as with R3 but lots of sting from the Alum Stick afterwards so I think tomorrow I might try @Razor Burn s advice, nacet on R4 while keeping in mind what Speedy said too!
You'll get their grasshopper :smuggrin: when riding the top cap WTG don't hold the razor too close to the head, when riding the top cap ATG hold the razor towards the end of the handle like your holding a spoon like a pen eating a soup.

It's a professional shaving learning curve, try and watch the idea of how Michael holding the razor as a tool using the Rockwell 6S. Remember ZERO pressure throughout the whole shave.

It might be counter-intuitive, but often a sharper blade eg Nacet, Gillette Yellow (my fave DE), Minora (or so we've all heard) will give you a smoother shave if you take a bit of care with your technique. (An exception might be Feathers, though YMMV.) You'll probably find YouTube clips showing guys taking long, fast strokes with the razor, but often these will result in a sub-optimal shave. Keep it slow and light, and give the blade time to do its work. Pulling the skin tight might help too, though don't overdo this.

Also, if it's been a few days' growth, there's probably lots of gunk under the blade. Don't be afraid to take the razor apart and clean it up, it only gets in the way and makes the shave rough.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.