Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
EF099973-A6-EB-46-F4-BD97-FBC69-E6-DCAC2.jpg

Pre: Hot Shower, Nivea Skin & Stubble
Brush: Yaqi Moka
Soap: St James of London Black Pepper & Lime
Razor: Muhle Rocca
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum (1)

Hoo boy, one of the sharper blades I've used thus far. A teeny bit rough, but lets see how the next shave goes. A bit of burn under the chin but that's a problem area for me with most blades. A few nicks from buffing, but DFS+ tonight.

The St James soap certainly looked premium, coming in a nice box and glass jar. It's much softer than a croap; I followed its instructions and just slapped it on my face and lathered up. It lathered quickly, no doubt due to its initial form and easily became a nice beaten egg white consistency with soft peaks. Residual slickness is not up there with the likes of artisanal soaps, but a bit of water with the finger gives enough to do a light buff. However, it's soft form does mean it's very easy to just grab a dab, put on your face and do a quick top up lather with the brush. Probably wouldn't buy it at full price though.

s.png

Pre-shave: Hot water, Pears soap
Brush: CaYuen "Copper Ore" 30mm SynBad
Soap/Cream: D.R. Harris - Windsor - (y)@rhodes96
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Kai PINK
Post-shave: Shower, Homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+

Something else for the next few days away down south...

Given how long the puck of Windsor is going to last...rhodes96 is going to get tagged a LOT! 😂

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson brush
Soap/Cream: Stirling Soap Co Bay Rum soap
Razor: Vintage (replated) Gillette 'Fatboy' (6)
Blade: Vintage NOS Wilkinson Sword (7)
Post-shave: Stirling Soap Co Bay Rum splash
Fragrance: Stirling Soap Co Bay Rum EDT

I love bay rum,
I love bay rum,
I love bay rum,
That is all.

MCsi2gvl.jpg

I love bay rum,
I love bay rum,
I love bay rum,
That is all.

MCsi2gvl.jpg
Where’s the bottle of RUM, you’ll have to enjoy a good drink of rum with your Bay Rummy shave

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: DSC - black/white 24mm tuxedo
Soap/Cream: A&E - Khalifa
Razor: Muhle - Rocca R94
Blade: Gillette - Minora Stainless (19)
Post-shave: A&E - Khalifa AS splash / A&E skin food nourishing cream

2 pass WTG = DFS+. This is my favourite soap/splash/moisturiser combo. The splash fragrance lasts around 18 hours and can be worn as a cologne. No need ro spend $200+ on a bottle of Nasamatto Black Afgano, Khalifa is a spot on homage of the original. The moisturiser is absolutely outstanding. The best cold weather moisturiser cost vs performance I have tried to date.

I love bay rum,
I love bay rum,
I love bay rum,
That is all.

MCsi2gvl.jpg
See, if you just stick to vintage you're no where near as cranky.:LOL:

Where’s the bottle of RUM, you’ll have to enjoy a good drink of rum with your Bay Rummy shave

6:42am is a little early for me!

Great shot from your daughter @Pbgoose - you have to give it a title though. Maybe 'wistful dog'?

s.png

Post-shave: Shower, nice new towel, Homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+.

Home again, home again hippity-hip.

And definitely time for a change to some triple-milled goodness... :love:

I've been running an informal trial to see how many days I can get out of this blade by comparison with the Proline, with a view to stocking up next year. This was day seven, and I'm going to say that's enough. (3 pass face and head.) It's not actually tugging, but it's taking a bit more work to get the same effect.

s.png

Post-shave: Shower, nice new towel, Homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+.

Home again, home again hippity-hip.

And definitely time for a change to some triple-milled goodness... :love:

I've been running an informal trial to see how many days I can get out of this blade by comparison with the Proline, with a view to stocking up next year. This was day seven, and I'm going to say that's enough. (3 pass face and head.) It's not actually tugging, but it's taking a bit more work to get the same effect.
Yeah, seven is the magic number for me. Occasionally I'll go one or two over but I know I'm safe within seven. I got to 8 with the Proline in the General the other day and it still felt pretty good so I was going to push one more just because..

Yeah, seven is the magic number for me. Occasionally I'll go one or two over but I know I'm safe within seven. I got to 8 with the Proline in the General the other day and it still felt pretty good so I was going to push one more just because..

I can get 12 to 14 face shaves with the proline on an AC straight. If I wanted to push it I could probably go to about 18-20 shaves At about shave 6-8 I give it an informal wet hand strop on the palm of my hand. This tends to reactivate a little more efficiency back into the blade. I really enjoy this blade over other AC blades as it gives the closest face feel to a proper straight without all the maintenance hassles. Super smooth from the word go, where as the Feather Pro and Pro Super can be a little bitey for me if I haven't used them in a while for the first shave or two.

I have recently acquired an injector of the Kai Pinks.@Gargravarr the enabler.:D Interested to see how these shave in the Hawk V3 OC.

Last edited:
SOTN
Well last time around with the Merkur Progress a massive thank you to Damian for the lend of this beast. In a short conclusion if your looking for a clean close shave then this is the Razor for you. It will deserve respect and some practice in getting the settings and angle right for each individual. I myself after several tries found 2.5 was the best for me. Will I put one in my Den probably not why you ask, I just think for one it takes that little extra to manage that I don't have to worry about when compared to my RW 6C. It's been a good time with this Razor but she'll be on her way home tomorrow. Thanks again Damian.

On the Silk Pyjamas great soap awesome lather just one thing I can relate that Peter picked up and I ask others who have it or had it did you get any sort of skin irritation. Let us know.
And thanks again Peter for PIF
2RmsunD.jpg

I have recently acquired an injector of the Kai Pinks.@Gargravarr the enabler.:D
That's what we're for. :p

I've been trying for an either/or assessment between Prolines and PINKs (I want to try for 1000 next year), but I've a feeling I'll fail in the attempt, as they both perform stupendously, at least in the Vector. The Prolines are probably cheaper, I guess, but I might just have to get both. I haven't been very thorough with the Hawk, as I really like the Supers in that. I really should give it another look.

Just arrived today SOTD

Razor-1936 Gillette gold aristocrat deluxe Xmas edition set
Brush-Oumo 26mm Manchurian
Blade-Gillette minora
Soap-No Plunder
Aftershave-Vintage Shulton's old Spice

This razor along with earlier 34 version is the first butterfly razor sets ever made. User grade but I had to have it. No bent teeth and plating there for the most part. Shaving with this was like shaving with an old friend. Effortless and easy shave in auto mode with sublime results. I prefer OC these days and the smoothe shave they provide. This didn't disappoint. Thick knurled handle and quite the heft to it. Slight blade feel but not bitey at all. Easy to see why it's highly regarded. Complete set with blade case a bonus. Think I like this better than my D1 Toggle 😳.

Might shave again in the morning ☺️

Status
Not open for further replies.