Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
...Three passes still and no BBS but not far from it.
One thing I've found comparatively recently when dealing with the troublesome briar patch below my jawline is, instead of attacking it with multiple ATG scrapes, adopting a nearly WTG approach with the so-called "Gillette Slide", quite similar (I guess) to the operation of a slant works for me:
lighter
I have to be a bit careful when doing that elsewhere on my head, as it's easy to make an unwelcome incision. Best done when sober. :rolleyes: But I've found it gets at least as smooth a shave without the irritation.

ZddrhKH_d.webp

Last nights shave.
Pre: Hot shower/Nivea Skin & Stubble
Brush: Yaqi Moka
Soap: Stirling Gin & Tonic
Razor: Razorock Lupo 72
Blade: Minora (3)

The Lupo 72 is, to put it simply, very agile. Less mass in the head means it’s handle heavy but it steers well and smoothly. Mild for me given its scale on the Razorock chart, but visually the blade gap is small so that’s probably why. All in all a very comfortable DFS+ shave. I’ve loaded up the 95 baseplate for the next shave and the gap looks comparable to the Rocca.

Last edited:
Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Hoffritz branded Simpson shaving brush
Soap/Cream: P&B Spitfire soap
Razor: Vintage NEW head on TSW Bren handle
Blade: Super Iridium (7)
Post-shave: P&B Spitfire splash
Fragrance: P&B Spitfire solid cologne

Bit wintery here in CBR today, stay warm and stay safe wherever you are!

DLmG5SOl.jpg

WrOLeWwl.png

s.png

Anyone bored with this picture yet? ;)

Truth to tell, I don't mind gazing at that brush. It's eating up this soap at a prodigious rate though, and I may come to regret that. :whistle:

After a wild and woolly day yesterday, now we've got blazing sunshine and a nice blanket of snow on the mountain behind us...

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Semogue - Torga C3
Soap:- Squadron - Red Lead
Razor: ABC Pocket Edition
Blade:- Gillette Super Stainless (13)
Aftershave:- Squadron - Red Lead
Y8QNHgX.jpg

After a very sharp shave and few nicks from the shavette yesterday decided to give straight razor shave a miss today
Nice to loop back through some favourites like Squadron's Red Lead
I've said it before and will probably say it again because I do love the raw simplicity of the ABC - minimalist efficiency

The ABC handle is a stunning. What sort of shave does the razor deliver?

The ABC handle is a stunning. What sort of shave does the razor deliver?
It delivers a good honest "no frills" shave with plenty of blade feel and no chatter. The head and cap are so thin with those short combs that it gets into every nook and cranny and is not finicky like some razors where you have to buff for the whole shave. It naturally lends itself to nice long strokes and the ABC is so transparent that I can go XTG from ear to to chin and upper lip without nicking myself
Always a DFS on first pass because it gets those niggly divots. It's a perfect razor. The only con may be its light weight and small size but it is good enough to be a daily driver :)(y)(y)

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC 2 Band Finest Badger in Butterscotch 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Stirling Soap ~ Barbershop
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34C / Gillette Stainless (red & white) #14
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)

SOTD 23/07/2021

Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket
Razor: Merkur 37C
Blade: Gillette Nacet (2)
Pre: Shower
Soap: Grooming Department Unum (Lusso) - thanks again @rhodes96
Post: Allum block // Nivea 2 Phase Post Shave Lotion // Sukin Hydration Biomarine Facial Serum
WTG, ATG, Touchups = DFS

A quiet shave free weekend as way too cold for a shave and I forgot me phone at work (I hope?!) so no pic. Another great lather from the soap sample with slickness and a pleasant scent....

Stay Safe (Warm) & Happy Shaves!

Razor: Rocca R95
Blade: Gillette Minora
Brush: Matilda Silvertip 2-Band Badger
Soap: MdC Rose
Splash: XXX Splash

Decided to try another non ATG shave and was not disappointed, WTD, XTG and XTG the other way and was blown away with the results... most definitely happy with this level of closeness with zero irritation due to the Rocca's smoothness.. Have to say I am very happy with a DFS+ for a normal daily and leave the ATG BBS shave's for special occasions.

Next up is the WR2 1.25 again with no ATG.

But that's not all folks, I FINALLY learnt to build an amazing lather with the badger. Have to say i was a bit disappointed considering the cost of this badger v the yaqis i love. The technique to build lather didnt change, i just left more water in the brush to start with and boy was i surprised at the results and didnt need to add any more water to the brush.. with a lovely lather I could actually enjoy the face feel the badger provided that synthetics dont quite give.

Happy as I am with this, I may of opened up another rabbit hole (y)

A nice steak and chips, to finish the trifecta :love:

51333614941_b726cde6cd_b.jpg

51332883527_be1a41f901_z.jpg

Last edited:
Razor: Rocca R95
Blade: Gillette Minora
Brush: Matilda Silvertip 2-Band Badger
Soap: MdC Rose
Splash: XXX Splash

Decided to try another non ATG shave and was not disappointed, WTD, XTG and XTG the other way and was blown away with the results... most definitely happy with this level of closeness with zero irritation due to the Rocca's smoothness.. Have to say I am very happy with a DFS+ for a normal daily and leave the ATG BBS shave's for special occasions.

Next up is the WR2 1.25 again with no ATG.

But that's not all folks, I FINALLY learnt to build an amazing lather with the badger. Have to say i was a bit disappointed considering the cost of this badger v the yaqis i love. The technique to build lather didnt change, i just left more water in the brush to start with and boy was i surprised at the results and didnt need to add any more water to the brush.. with a lovely lather I could actually enjoy the face feel the badger provided that synthetics dont quite give.

Happy as I am with this, I may of opened up another rabbit hole (y)

A nice steak and chips, to finish the trifecta :love:

51333614941_b726cde6cd_b.jpg

51332883527_be1a41f901_z.jpg
The different Declaration Grooming batches now await you!

Status
Not open for further replies.