Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
JVo2pIx.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap
Brush: Rooney Polo 2 Super Badger
Soap: Murphy & McNeil Cliffs of Moher
Razor: Wolfman WR1
Blade: Vintage NOS Wilkie Light Brigade (5)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Myrsol Blue Aftershave Lotion
Scent: Musgo Real Classic Cologne

An invigorating and very close shave.

Pre-shave: Hot water, Pears soap
Brush: Forgotten Art "Tarkine" 26mm Tux
Soap: Barrister & Mann - Terror - thanks (y)@Wilkskire13
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline
Post-shave: Shower, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+
COTD: Monsoon Malabar, India

Brrrrrr! Perhaps not the most appropriate choice for Tasmania at the tail-end of winter... :unsure:

...but I'll do it again tomorrow anyway. I'm not really a menth head, but neither is this really menth, just cooling. Maybe one for you, @Holiday?

Pre-shave: Hot water, Pears soap
Brush: Forgotten Art "Tarkine" 26mm Tux
Soap: Barrister & Mann - Terror - thanks (y)@Wilkskire13
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline
Post-shave: Shower, homebrew moisturiser, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF50+
COTD: Monsoon Malabar, India

Brrrrrr! Perhaps not the most appropriate choice for Tasmania at the tail-end of winter... :unsure:

...but I'll do it again tomorrow anyway. I'm not really a menth head, but neither is this really menth, just cooling. Maybe one for you, @Holiday?

Warning do not get this soap anywhere near your eyes! I personally felt the Terror when somehow either some soap or balm made it onto my eye lids. Now I know what being pepper spayed feels like. o_O

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Doug Korn D13 Peanut-Butter Cup Handle with 26mm TGN knot
Soap:- RazoRock - Santa Maria Del Fiore - Sapone da Barba
Razor:- Haircut & Shave Co. N075
Blade:- Gillette Minora (2)
Aftershave:- RazoRock - Santa Maria Del Fiore - Lozione Dopo-barba

YLtkLNt.jpg

First use of the SMDF and the base scents seemed a bit confused, probably because I don't smell the tobacco but SWMBO can . I thought it had some vetiver but the scent list says otherwise. To my nose the base notes were competing with each other as I was shaving a nice light grungy scent I thought was vetiver being overcome by Eucalyptus and Menthol. I didn't get a tobacco smell but I never have. I enjoy tobacco (cigar) scents on others but cannot smell them on myself. Dried down to a nice sweet vanilla smell with possibly some tobacco that I couldn't detect. The glass jar is a nice touch as is the traditional packaging kraft labels. Provided a beautiful slick lather that required very little smooshing and could be painted on easily. Must get some of The Dead Sea into the den (y):)(y)

Edit: just noticed wrong blade package

This stuff smells amazing and supposed to be the same base as SMDF

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Doug Korn D13 Peanut-Butter Cup Handle with 26mm TGN knot
Soap:- RazoRock - Santa Maria Del Fiore - Sapone da Barba
Razor:- #58 - Aussie Aristocrat Junior
Blade:- Aussie Spoiler (2)
Aftershave:- RazoRock - Santa Maria Del Fiore - Lozione Dopo-barba

01AgVdd.jpg

This stuff smells amazing and supposed to be the same base as SMDF

Waiting for a set to come up on BST or M&M used marketplace

First, let me back-track a few days, as I've been slack/busy, take your pick.

My previous two shaves were frustrating affairs because I allowed myself to be distracted and was quite dissatisfied with them. The only thing that varied was the soap and blades used, with the RR German 37 and Jack the Barber being used with a Nacet (3) and Voshkod (3,4), then my first use of a Minora Stainless. Both times I had kids yapping in my ears and ended up being more rushed than I'd like. The first time resulted in me not preparing properly and I got a few weepers and some irritation. I decided that I wasn't going to allow that to happen again, and it didn't - until the very next shave!

This time around I do have to take a fair amount of responsibility myself as it was my actions that directly contributed to me not being able to simply relax and enjoy my shave and appreciate the quality of a fresh Minora. I've been growing a Mo for a while and had some good handlebar action going on, but because it gets really annoying wearing a mask with an extended Mo, I decided to shave it off. At this point a little background info is needed - my family emigrated from Germany in 1847, so naturally, my daughter is regularly reminded at school about our link to Hitler and our role in WW2. :unsure: As a bit of a laugh for her, I shave my Mo in a Hitler style, then proceeded to shave my beard. She walked past, noticed what I'd done, and proceeded to laugh/look shocked/ask if I was going to keep it etc, all the way until I'd finished my shave. Of course, her little sister got in on the act, and needless to say, in the end, I had no real idea what shaving with the Minora felt like!

For the record, much to my daughter's horror, I left it on when we went shopping. She was somewhat placated by the fact that I wore a mask the whole time so no one saw it. To her relief, I shaved it off when we got home.

Now to today.

Pre-shave: Hot shower, Proraso Green
Brush: The cheapo I'm making do with till a good one arrives.
Soap: Blue Devil Strawberry Patch
Razor: Yintal DE, Jack the Barber
Blade: Minora Stainless (2), Voskhod (1)
Post-shave: Cold water wash, alum block, Nivea balm.

I'm not the richest bloke going around, so when @Errol extolled the virtues of the Yintal DE that could be purchased for a measly sum, I was up for trying it. The grand sum of $33 later and I have a very nice razor with my name engraved on it. I was able to enjoy the Minora this morning, and it's fair to say that I was blown away by the quality of the shave. I'd go so far as to say that it's the best shave I've ever had, and my RR German 37 may end up gathering dust. I got it thinking that I'd use a Voskhod blade in it for doing touch-ups, but 12 hours after my shave, I have to rub really hard ATG to feel any stubble at all. On my neck, I did touch-ups on one side with the Yintal/Minora, and on the other side, I used the Jack/Voskhod combination. The Minora produced a few weepers, but 12 hours later there's no difference in irritation.

One of these days I may be able to justify trying out some other quality razor so I can compare them, but in the meantime, I'm going to be enjoying some excellent shave with this cheapy. :)

First, let me back-track a few days, as I've been slack/busy, take your pick.

My previous two shaves were frustrating affairs because I allowed myself to be distracted and was quite dissatisfied with them. The only thing that varied was the soap and blades used, with the RR German 37 and Jack the Barber being used with a Nacet (3) and Voshkod (3,4), then my first use of a Minora Stainless. Both times I had kids yapping in my ears and ended up being more rushed than I'd like. The first time resulted in me not preparing properly and I got a few weepers and some irritation. I decided that I wasn't going to allow that to happen again, and it didn't - until the very next shave!

This time around I do have to take a fair amount of responsibility myself as it was my actions that directly contributed to me not being able to simply relax and enjoy my shave and appreciate the quality of a fresh Minora. I've been growing a Mo for a while and had some good handlebar action going on, but because it gets really annoying wearing a mask with an extended Mo, I decided to shave it off. At this point a little background info is needed - my family emigrated from Germany in 1847, so naturally, my daughter is regularly reminded at school about our link to Hitler and our role in WW2. :unsure: As a bit of a laugh for her, I shave my Mo in a Hitler style, then proceeded to shave my beard. She walked past, noticed what I'd done, and proceeded to laugh/look shocked/ask if I was going to keep it etc, all the way until I'd finished my shave. Of course, her little sister got in on the act, and needless to say, in the end, I had no real idea what shaving with the Minora felt like!

For the record, much to my daughter's horror, I left it on when we went shopping. She was somewhat placated by the fact that I wore a mask the whole time so no one saw it. To her relief, I shaved it off when we got home.

Now to today.

Pre-shave: Hot shower, Proraso Green
Brush: The cheapo I'm making do with till a good one arrives.
Soap: Blue Devil Strawberry Patch
Razor: Yintal DE, Jack the Barber
Blade: Minora Stainless (2), Voskhod (1)
Post-shave: Cold water wash, alum block, Nivea balm.

I'm not the richest bloke going around, so when @Errol extolled the virtues of the Yintal DE that could be purchased for a measly sum, I was up for trying it. The grand sum of $33 later and I have a very nice razor with my name engraved on it. I was able to enjoy the Minora this morning, and it's fair to say that I was blown away by the quality of the shave. I'd go so far as to say that it's the best shave I've ever had, and my RR German 37 may end up gathering dust. I got it thinking that I'd use a Voskhod blade in it for doing touch-ups, but 12 hours after my shave, I have to rub really hard ATG to feel any stubble at all. On my neck, I did touch-ups on one side with the Yintal/Minora, and on the other side, I used the Jack/Voskhod combination. The Minora produced a few weepers, but 12 hours later there's no difference in irritation.

One of these days I may be able to justify trying out some other quality razor so I can compare them, but in the meantime, I'm going to be enjoying some excellent shave with this cheapy. :)
I shave later at night after my daughter has gone to bed and my wife knows not to bother me after she sees the gear laid out on the sink.

And the price doesn’t matter if you get a good shave and enjoy it!

I shave later at night after my daughter has gone to bed and my wife knows not to bother me after she sees the gear laid out on the sink.

And the price doesn’t matter if you get a good shave and enjoy it!
You’ll be able to get plenty of goodies, IF, you layout the tools correctly on the sink, you’re wife will love you.

1wftTyo.gif

Last edited:
Doesn't sound like a very efficient or humane way of doing it really...
You might say that, but I remember reading of trials a few years ago where surgeons have administered doses of highly concentrated capsaicin (under anaesthetic) for post-operative pain management. I don't remember coming across any follow-up, so maybe the idea died. Or their patients did... :unsure:

Pre-Shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Forgotton Art - 26mm Bushman
Soap/Cream: Stirling - Ramblin Man
Razor: Homelike Shaving - Colibri SB 1.5
Blade: Gillette - Stainless ( red & white) (18)
Post-shave: Stirling - Ramblin Man AS splash/ Nivea Men - protective moisturiser

2 pass WTG + touchups = BBS. Another fantastic shave with this razor and blade combo.

Stirling's - Ramblin Man is my new favourite from the Stirling Man fragrance series. This one is an homage to Creed Himalaya. Strong off the puck and once lathered, the splash is moderate in strength, the drydown does have some staying power. Citrus top notes over a base of Sandlewood, ambergris, cedar, white musk, oakmoss, with floral notes of geranium in the middle.

Never tried Creed Himalaya previously, so yes surprised this is quite a bright aromatic fouguere, that is both masculine and formal, best suited for spring days or evenings out.(y)

Pre-Shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Forgotton Art - 26mm Bushman
Soap/Cream: Stirling - Ramblin Man
Razor: Homelike Shaving - Colibri SB 1.5
Blade: Gillette - Stainless ( red & white) (18)
Post-shave: Stirling - Ramblin Man AS splash/ Nivea Men - protective moisturiser

2 pass WTG + touchups = BBS. Another fantastic shave with this razor and blade combo.

Stirling's - Ramblin Man is my new favourite from the Stirling Man fragrance series. This one is an homage to Creed Himalaya. Strong off the puck and once lathered, the splash is moderate in strength, the drydown does have some staying power. Citrus top notes over a base of Sandlewood, ambergris, cedar, white musk, oakmoss, with floral notes of geranium in the middle.

Never tried Creed Himalaya previously, so yes surprised this is quite a bright aromatic fouguere, that is both masculine and formal, best suited for spring days or evenings out.(y)
How many Stirling soaps have you got in your den?

Status
Not open for further replies.