Shave of the Day Thread - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet you keep using it? :eek: You have more patience than I do. Incidentally, I never had cardamom in my coffee in Greece, though I did occasionally in Turkey. Not really a fan of it... :unsure:

yeah I persist, especially when i spent my hard earned.. i actually really like the scent too.. other days the burn is minimal and goes away after 30mins or so but today i was like the lobster on the old Le Tan commercials.. and had to wash it off and apply serum a few times to get it down

The rapira + wr2 combo might of also added to it

This is the first time its happened to me with A&E and I dont have sensitive skin..
I’ve used:
Asian pear - no issues
Asian plum - no issues
So Cal Hipster- slight burn
Vacanza Romana - slight burn not each time.
Amber Rose - no issues
St Barts - became a volunteer firefighter it burnt so hard
Kaizen- slight tingling.

Unfortunately this strike rate means I won’t get another one unless the scent really appeals to me, and I can get a sample first.

WofHNUBl.jpg

Great soap. Lucky I have a spare!

I’ve used:
Asian pear - no issues
Asian plum - no issues
So Cal Hipster- slight burn
Vacanza Romana - slight burn not each time.
Amber Rose - no issues
St Barts - became a volunteer firefighter it burnt so hard
Kaizen- slight tingling.

Unfortunately this strike rate means I won’t get another one unless the scent really appeals to me, and I can get a sample first.

I have Kaizen and get nothing, possibly too much FO in that batch.. not a good strike rate either way so def understand you not wanting more.. I dont think i will be buying any more myself either, especially if this is a 'known' issue

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- Simpson - Duke 3 Best Badger
Soap:- Murphy & McNeil - Magh Tured
Razor:- Haircut & Shave Co. N075
Blade:- Gillette Minora (1)
Aftershave:- Murphy & McNeil - Magh Tured

#Heavenly
XXm0Edh.jpg

If you don't have some M&M in the den I can highly recommend it
Lathers a bit creamier (slicker) than most other products. Similar to Declaration Grooming consistency.

Spicy and Woody, this fragrance will bring a bit of the Battle of Magh Tured to your day.
Scent Strength: Medium
Top - Rosewood and Pepper
Middle - Sandalwood
Base - Patchouli, Vetiver
Some may recognize this fragrance as an homage to "Oud Wood" by Tom Ford. (No affiliation.)

WR2 1.25
Rapira
Matilda 2-Band Rhodium 26mm
Greek Cafe soap/splash

rapira was excellent in today’s timeless shave but not that good in the WR2.. live and learn

for anyone that has this soap splash combo, do u get burn from it? I light up like Rudolph’s nose, and get a terrible burn feeling, not sure what it is? The cardamom?

51476925808_b98da1bd7e_b.jpg

It happens occasionally I will get a tingle, from strong scented soaps. Most likely it's Frag Burn. When the concentration of the fragrance rises too high relative to the pH of the rest of the soap. First time I used Grecian Horse it lit me up. The second time no issues at all. Everyone has a different tolerance. I normally reccomend a second try of a soap. If the issue persists, discontinue use.

This is not just an A&E thing, I have had the same issue with Murphy & Mcneal, Razorock, Tallow & Steel, Tobs, + few others. Common theme with all of them are strong scents.

It happens occasionally I will get a tingle, from strong scented soaps. Most likely it's Frag Burn. When the concentration of the fragrance rises too high relative to the pH of the rest of the soap. First time I used Grecian Horse it lit me up. The second time no issues at all. Everyone has a different tolerance. I normally reccomend a second try of a soap. If the issue persists, discontinue use.

This is not just an A&E thing, I have had the same issue with Murphy & Mcneal, Razorock, Tallow & Steel, Tobs, + few others. Common theme with all of them are strong scents.

So you will be a strong bidder on the Martin de Candre lot in the charity auction then.

OOPS!

Did I say too much?

Seriously tonight I was asking myself why oh why do we do it. Tabac been in existence since around 1959 stood the test of time and as a Shaving soap works brilliantly. The nagging question we have the holy grail in these vintage soaps alike but we still hunger for one more and so often only 1 in 10 really do it as good.
SisgqZ7.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Stirling Soap Co Bay Rum shaving soap
Razor: Vintage Gillette L1 Slim Adjustable (6)
Blade: Iridium Super (4)
Post-shave: Stirling Soap Co Bay Rum splash
Fragrance: Stirling Soap Co Bay Rum EDT

aXgMMGsl.jpg

Last edited:
Pre-shave: Hot shower, Proraso Green Pre-shave
Brush: Jack the Barber (Woolies) - presumably synthetic.
Soap: Razorock Black Label stick
Razor: Razorock German 37 and Jack the Barber
Blade: Gillette Nacet(3) and Voskhod Teflon Coated(4)
Post-shave: Cold water, Alum block, Nivea balm

Another excellent shave. The Black Label lathered very nicely, but I could feel the difference between it and the Squadron/Blue Devil soaps I've been using recently. The slickness wasn't as good and I had to reapply lather more often when buffing.

I don't think I have particularly tough stubble, but 3 shaves seems to be the limit I can push any blade. The Voskhod performed OK but was getting a little uncomfortable. I could try the Nacet for another, but I've got plenty of other blades to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.