Shave of the Day Thread - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
11 November
Yesterday's shave was so enjoyable that I had to see if it was just fluke, so this morning I repeated with exactly the same.
It was no fluke. I may have found the perfect SR for me :love:.

lfgEbqt.jpg

Unbranded Solingen ⅝ "Best Quality Silver Steel", finished and maintained on diamond pasted balsa and dressed in wattle timber scales.

BBQTld2.jpg

Soap: PAA Sangre de Drago
Brush: Platypus
Razor: Apollo Smart Helix
Blade: Polsilver (1)
First shave with the Apollo. Maybe I‘ve paired it with the wrong blade. Mixed feelings but not as impressive as the Tatara Nodachi. Tried both sides of the bottom plate. Couldn’t tell a great deal of difference between the aggressive and smooth sides of the plate but the aggressive side drew blood.……

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC Two Band Finest Badger in Cherry Wood 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Stirling Soap Co ~ Vanilla Sandalwood
Razor/Blade:- Vikings Blade 'Godfather Stonehenge' (borrowed) / Astra Superior Platinum #1
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerine (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Tabac 'Craftsman' Natural Spray EDT

I've had issues lathering B&M in the past but LGC is quickly becoming one of my favourites in scent and performance

bQyaJ3R.jpg

Pre-shave:- Shower
Brush:- @TroyTools - Mink Nebula
Razor:- Windrose @shorty generously PIF'd by @rbscebu
Soap/Aftershave:- B&M - Le Grand Chypre

Had 3 days growth for Sunday shorty and the @rbscebu edge sliced through the stubble (in my case bristle) very smoothly without skipping a hair.
A very satisfying shave with good quality products coming together to make it a very pleasant shave experience
I will maintain the edge on 0.1μm balsa strop after each shave as is @rbscebu method.

SOTD – Sat 11 Nov 2023

SOTD-20231112-setup.png

Shave Report: The lather produced was creamy and good volume with medium density from half teaspoon (2.5gms) of product and 12ml of added water. For me Cyril R.Salter cream performs a bit better than TOBS. To my nose the scent is a very refreshing Citrus tangy scent with notes of lemon, orange & lime, lather scent strength is light. The Fat handle Tech & Wizamet blade gave easy going smooth, mild & efficient DFS, just a bit irritation around the Adam's apple area and a few mild weepers.

The Gear:​

• Pre Shave: Suavecito Brushless Shaving Cream
  • Brush: Omega “Faux Jade” 11842 with 27/52 Boar
  • Soap: Cyril R.Salter - Sublime Citrus (cream)
  • Bowl: Plastic Noodle Bowl with Non-Slip Shower Sticker
  • Razor: Gillette Vintage Fat Handle Tech (around 1950)
  • Blade: Gillette Wizamet SI (3)
  • Splash: Imperial Bergamot AS with added Menthol
  • Balm: Proraso Refreshing (Green) Crema Pre Barba
  • After Shave: Turkish “Pereja” Lemon EDC
  • Moisturiser (Later): MooGoo Hydrate Cream [A]
[A] = Australian Product

SOTD – Mon 13 Nov 2023

SOTD-20231113-setup.png

Shave Report: Used a rounded quarter teaspoon (1.8gms) scoop of product and added 15ml of water to produce a creamy medium density lather. Lather performance was great overall, although there was a tendency for the residual to dry quickly. The lather scent was a light almond aroma with mild menthol cooling. The Baili Legend Pro is well made and finished for a Zamac head razor, overall a mild but efficient DFS with the OC side only a little bit more aggressive than the CC side and there was very little blade feel.

THE GEAR:
  • Brush: Fuko “Triffid” 26/58 Cashmere [A]
  • Soap: Saponificio Virgilio Valobra - Creama di sapone purissima (Menthol)
  • Razor: Baili Legend Pro BR-B3P (Dual OC+CC) with AL handle
  • Blade: Shark (Lord) Platinum (1)
  • After Shave: Nivea Deep Comport AS
[A] = Australian Product

SOTD – Mon 13 Nov 2023

SOTD-20231113-setup.png

Shave Report: Used a rounded quarter teaspoon (1.8gms) scoop of product and added 15ml of water to produce a creamy medium density lather. Lather performance was great overall, although there was a tendency for the residual to dry quickly. The lather scent was a light almond aroma with mild menthol cooling. The Baili Legend Pro is well made and finished for a Zamac head razor, overall a mild but efficient DFS with the OC side only a little bit more aggressive than the CC side and there was very little blade feel.

THE GEAR:
  • Brush: Fuko “Triffid” 26/58 Cashmere [A]
  • Soap: Saponificio Virgilio Valobra - Creama di sapone purissima (Menthol)
  • Razor: Baili Legend Pro BR-B3P (Dual OC+CC) with AL handle
  • Blade: Shark (Lord) Platinum (1)
  • After Shave: Nivea Deep Comport AS
[A] = Australian Product
Correction on the Brush, it was
- Fuko “Emerald Fireworks” with 26/55 APShave Synbad

13 November
Did I say that this could be the only SR I need for the rest of my life?
9ncyNM5.jpg

No-brand Solingen from the late 1940s to early 1950s dressed in wattle timber scales. An absolute pleasure to shave with. Looks and smells good too. This will be PIFed by the executor of my estate.

The soap is Palmolive from Germany and the brush a no-brand guaranteed pure best badger synthetic from China (PRC).

14 November
This morning, as well as face-shaving, I needed to shave the hairs inside my nostrils and ear canals. Out came one of my Gold Dollar W59 SRs. This one was honed on a Belgium blue and finished on a vintage coticule (hence the orange tail).

rETqgbR.jpg

Normally I have not been too fussed about coticule edges but since I switch to honing on coticul with soluble oil, things are greatly improving. Still not as keen as my other W59 off diamond pasted balsa but getting closer and is now quite acceptable for those more difficult areas to shave.

Pre-shave:- Cold Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Semogue SOC Two Band Finest Badger in Taj (Ivory) Resin 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Stirling Soap Co ~ Vanilla Sandalwood
Razor/Blade:- Vikings Blade 'Godfather Stonehenge' (borrowed) / Astra Superior Platinum #2
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerine (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Fragrance:- Tabac 'Craftsman' Natural Spray EDT

Status
Not open for further replies.