Shave of the Day Thread - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
For my friend in the Top End @Holiday, I very much enjoyed the Seaforth soap. I am generally not a fan of aquatic scents, but I think this is very well done. I was in my younger years an avid spearfisherman and scuba diver (although the two activities were mutally exclusive), and hence have a decent nose for real world aquatic scents. Spearhead have done a good job in reproducing a realistic salty aquatic note to the lime and spice. The performance was very good indeed; easy to lather and good residual slickness.

Cheers @TomG, citrus notes down drown out all other scents then?

Rdjhrc3.jpg

Some very neglected gear at back of the top shelf and could not wish for a better lather straight off the soap with this combination.

Pre-shave:- Cold shower
Brush:- Vulfix Old Original - 21mm Super Badger
Soap:- P.160 - Tippo Morbido
Razor: Gem MMOC - MicroMatic Open Comb
Blade:- Gem (10)
Aftershave:- Cella Aftershave Lotion

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson shaving brush
Soap/Cream: APR General Ledger shaving soap
Razor: Blutt WR-1 razor (0.99 mm)
Blade: Polsilver 'Brown' (2)
Post-shave: APR General Ledger splash
Fragrance: APR General Ledger EDP

Interesting ...

OnMxeFgl.jpg

Hi @Sticky I left the Streamline 2nd last in rotation so the blade was well broken in and allowed me to play with angles and familiarise myself with the razor. It provided a nice 2 x WTG = BBS with no blood letting or irritation. Not as forgiving as some other vintage SE but better than a lot of others including many DE. What is your experience with Ever Ready Shovel Head is it a similar shave?
I haven't used my 1924 for some time. Obviously it's a lot lighter than the Streamline and not as aggressive. It still demands respect and gives a very close shave. I prefer the 1914 over the 1924 although I would say the gap and weight are pretty close, maybe its an aesthetics thing. The Streamline is still top dog for me.

Razor: super speed
Blade: nacet
Brush: whipped dog badger
Soap: Noble otter barrbarr
Splash: Noble otter Barrbarr

Of the noble otter scents, this one is a bit more subdued, like it a lot but will need a few more shaves with it I think

Last edited:
I haven't used my 1924 for some time. Obviously it's a lot lighter than the Streamline and not as aggressive. It still demands respect and gives a very close shave. I prefer the 1914 over the 1924 although I would say the gap and weight are pretty close, maybe its an aesthetics thing. The Streamline is still top dog for me.
I thought MMOC was going to be more aggressive than Streamline but got proven wrong this weekend just gone.

TII57ky.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot shower
Brush: Billygoat Brushworks 2 band badger
Soap: Fine Accroutments L’Orange Noir
Razor: J.A. Henckels Friodur 72 (Stainless 6/8)
Strop: DCBlades Roo/Cotton
Post-shave: Osma Alum block, Fine ‘Platinum’, Mont Blanc ‘Explorer’
The Friodur arrived from Japan (yahoo.jp via Buyee) and it looks pristine to the eye. However upon inspecting the edge at 250x
I can see a couple of micro chips about 25-30mm from the heel (see below). Apart from that, the edge felt very sharp and easily tree topped arm hair so I decided to test it as is.
Lately I've been trying to perfect the edge on my Dovo 5/8 test bed razor, and got it to where I am very pleased with it via a synthetic progression followed by 0.5/0.25/0.1 micron
diamond pasted balsa strops. So I was pleased to find the Friodur was nearly as good as the recent efforts on the Dovo despite the chips. Won't be much work to hone them out and give it a good touch up but nice to know I'm working with a good edge already. It came without a box which is a pity for such a clean razor.

SXRdvK7.jpg

5pB75cD.jpg

Mining Camp Shave

Prep:
Jack Black Turbo Wash Gel, Alt Innsbruck Emulsion
Brush: Rudy Vey Shavemac Three-band Silvertip Briar
Cream: Kapo Fresh
Razor: ATT S1
Blade: Polsilver Wizamet Brown (1)
Post: Proraso Green Aftershave Lotion, Alt Innsbruck Emulsion
Scent: Czech & Speake Oxford and Cambridge EdC

Many thanks to @Gargravarr for the Czech & Speake PIF - I like Oxford and Cambridge more and more each time I wear it.
Chilly desert mornings are perfect for a menthol wake-up hit with the post-shave products.

4.png

Home again, home again, hippity-hip.

Pre-shave: Hot flannel, Pears soap
Brush: Troycraft "Opalesque" 28mm AP G5C
Soap: St James of London - Cedarwood and Clarysage
Razor: Blackland Sabre
Blade: Personna GEM Stainless
Post-shave: Shower, TND witch hazel, SJOL Cedarwood and Clarysage balm, homebrew moisturiser
COTD: Gambella sun-dried, Ethiopia

It seems fitting to pull out this soap and balm set in recognition of a huge mistake @Mark1966 has recently made by unloading the same. ;)

I thought MMOC was going to be more aggressive than Streamline but got proven wrong this weekend just gone.
Too be honest I've never understood all the hype about the MMOC being so aggressive, it's been nothing but good times for me. The Steamline is slightly more efficient because of the weight, even better times.

Charcoal Goods, Magnum, LVL 3 OC
Simpson M7 Super Badger
D&G Lavender (thank you @SpeedyPC)

Off the puck this soap smells just like B&M reserve lavender. However, when lathered it came across as a slightly spicier lavender than the aforementioned. All in all a very pleasant smell (to my nose of course). Great lather to boot. The level 3 C.G. took down 6 days growth with consummate ease.

Pre-shave:- Cool Shower
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Omega 11047 "Mixed Midget" (Badger/Boar) 20/43mm knot
Soap/Cream:- D.R. Harris ~ Marlborough
Razor/Blade:- Blackbird Lite SS Polished / Feather Hi-Stainless #3
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Invite E High Potency Pure Oil (10 drops), Natural Plant Glycerin (20) & Tea Tree Oil Antiseptic (5)
Moisturising Cream:- Aveeno Active Naturals Daily Fragrance-Free (for autumn & winter season)
Fragrance:- L'Occitane Baux

Status
Not open for further replies.