Simmo's Classic 1

Drubbing

110% Smiley-Free
Well it's only been a week or so, but I think I can make a call on the Simmo's Classic.

It's very good, but not perfect.

When I first got the Chub, I really didn't get on with it. But I kept at it, thinking I could adjust. I couldn't, and I couldn't be arsed to work at it, so it sat unused for months at a time. I just want stuff that works. Pick up any soap, load the brush, go. The Chub was never like that for me, and I kept it to creams. It was just one finicky fucker. But the forum love for them is immense, so maybe I'm the finicky fucker.

I must pitstop for a bit of a whinge about Mark @ Simmo's advice. It's pretty half-hearted these days, unless, you're asking for the bespoke, like rare, albino, virgin snowboarding badger in a $300+ knot. I realise he's CEO and has bigger things to do, but he's also marketing his gear, and judging by his extensive online presence, is well aware it's people far more afflicted by an addiction to shave goods than myself, who are the main reason his business still exists in this age of canned goo and designer gels. 18 months ago when I expressed reservations about buying a Chubby, he said don't worry, they get easier to use over time. It didn't. When I emailed him a few weeks ago and gave him a very brief, but concise request on what to replace it with, suggesting a couple I thought may suit, he provided the briefest answers possible that he thought I wanted to hear. I guess answering brush nerds who buy/collect swags of his stuff, has jaded him. That's not me (anymore).

The point here being, the Classic 1 is the brush I should have been advised to get when I asked him way back, about a smallish brush, similar to the Berk, but with a bit more grunt. A Berk 2.0, if you like. The CL2 might even be closer to that original request, factory specs on the CL1 are 22/44, CL2, 23/44, and a Chub is 23/47, but the thing that makes the difference is the stuffedness, Classics aren't stuffed as fat as Chubbys – nothing is.

The CL1 works easy peasy on soft and hard soap - creams are a given. It whips up lather faster than a Chub, and doesn't hide half of it inside. Because it's not as dense, air, water, and soap can flow better. Meaning I can get on with shaving and not fuck around getting the lather right, which was the bane of the Chub. No, it doesn't have the grunt of a Chub, but I'll take ease of use over that every day of the week.

The handle isn't big. The Berk's is small at around 45mm - the CL is smaller. This means the handle fits all in your hand, so it feels like you and a knot of badger, which some won't like at all. This would be a great knot in something like a small Persian jar, or like my Vulfix 376 that PJ superbly fitted with a TGN Finest knot. This CL1 is pretty damn close to that - for three times the cost and half the handle, mind you.

So I got pretty much to what I wanted to buy this time, a badger to rest up Dad's Vulfix, that I like using, and just works.

Last edited:
Well, a while ago the Classic went back to Simmo Central. Shedder.

Mark was cool and replaced, said he'd throw in something for my trouble. Asked for a Classic 2, as I thought the slightly bigger brush would work better, and the 2 has a slight wider handle, the 1 always felt a bit skinny and small. He also threw in some Simmos AS balm.

Too early to give an opinion on the 2, but it I'm worried I've strayed back into Chub territory. The 1 was never spongy, but the 2 is a bit more stuffed so we'll see how it goes when it softens up some.

Last edited:
Drubbing definitely has the Simmo's disease.

My Smoggie 730HD is shedding and I don't care. Will stuff something else in the handle if it gets useless.... but it's still got so much hair in it it could probably shed for another 10 years and I could still shave with it.

I can't use a shedding brush. I know they'll go for years, but I don't want to put up with pulling the things out the lather and brush every time. Especially a Simmos prices. This was the first Simmo that's been a problem, and they replaced, no questions asked.

...............Will stuff something else in the handle if it gets useless....

Stuff something else in? And I'm the philistine around here?

..........but it's still got so much hair in it it could probably shed for another 10 years and I could still shave with it.

Smoggies have lots of hair, just look at all those big boofy bloom pictures they like to put on their website!

Last edited:
........Too early to give an opinion on the 2, but it I'm worried I've strayed back into Chub territory. The 1 was never spongy, but the 2 is a bit more stuffed so we'll see how it goes when it softens up some.

That's a worry. Stick to smaller brushes is all I can suggest.

It is small. Smaller than a Chubby. The 1 could have been the sweet spot, but the 2 hasn't even softened up any yet, only washed it out so far.

Don't know if badger, unlike boar, particularly softens up much. In my experience if anything it tends to hog lather even more and is effectively denser once the badger gunk has washed out. Are you saying that it's got too much of a backbone because of the density?

It is denser than the 1. I didn't think t would be by much, but it is more than expected. I'll have to see how it works for a while.

More product, more water!

Simmo is supposed to be a luxurious shavperience. None of this eking out a ha'penny of some Italian croap. A thick dollop of a 3T cream and you'll be fit to kiss the Queen's backside hand

Don't know if badger, unlike boar, particularly softens up much. In my experience if anything it tends to hog lather even more and is effectively denser once the badger gunk has washed out. Are you saying that it's got too much of a backbone because of the density?

Probably not in the same way as boars, but small, dense Simmos are very firm out of the box. Yep, it's pretty dense.

It may be the 1 in the 2 handle would be ideal as I'm sure it's a bit thicker to allow for the wider knot, but that's getting anal. So long as it doesn't provide the hassle I had with the Chubby it'll be fine.

So far, so good. This is a lot more user friendly than the Chubby. It isn't a dense, but it is dense for a small brush. Mark confirmed the handle is a little wider, to allow it to be stuffed more. So I do prefer the handle, there's just a bit more to hold onto, the 1 was a little fiddly when wet, and also got soapy more easily.

It has got more usable by the day. I don't think softened up is the right word, but it does seem to load and flow easier. I could be just adjusting to it as well.

We have another keeper. Was worried at first, but glad I went the bigger 2. It's had a couple of weeks run and it working nicely. Bit bigger means no mess (I use a fair bit of soap and small brushes hold less and small handles get slippy easy) and the extra stuffing has more grunt. Not a chubby. Which is good. There is a thing as too much brush.

Last edited:
Fantastic - drubs had found something new he liked !!!

This makes me :)

Well now I'm pissed off. Another shedder. Anything from 3-6+ every shave. Fucking typical. Find the Simpson that is a keeper and I get two shedders in a row.

Even the Chubby didn't shed. Neither does the Berk I still have, or any of the other 2 or three I tried and sold on.

Sure, they'll replace when I send it in, but that's $60 bucks to send back 2 brushes now.

Last edited:
Mention that when you contact them.
I'm almost positive that you're legally protected for reasonable postage costs too.

I've told them how much it costs, so it's not like I'm wanting to scam them for new stuff cos postage is cheap, it isn't.

Last edited:
I concur, almost enough to crack and bust out smileys... almost!