Straight shooter from Sydney

Mark

Ze Honemeisterer
Artisan Producer
Hi everyone, I'm new to forums, I may have introduced myself on a different thread instead of posting a new one which will allow me to contribute. Just trying to work my way around, I'm new to forums, been in FB groups for ages. My main interests are straight razor shaving, honing and restoring. Anything to do with straight razors. Looking forward to contributing with you all.

How long have you been restoring straights ?
Care to share more about your collection ?

Hello and welcome mark. Plenty of straight shooters here will be happy with somebody who can hone and restore!

Hello and welcome mark. Plenty of straight shooters here will be happy with somebody who can hone and restore!

Thank you sir, this should be fun.

How long have you been restoring straights ?
Care to share more about your collection ?
I've been doing it professionally since last year, I don't go too hard on resto and machine work but my main focus is honing which I do for a handful of gentlemen, expecting to bump into them here. I use the Shapton pros, Naniwas, Nortons and Choseras for my synth. and purple LM, Apache Strata, Okudu Tomae and Ozuku Asagi for my naturals. I hone anything from a big fat smiling wedge to a cheap Gold Dollar. I encourage other straight shooters to learn how to hone their own razors and I will be starting a "learn to hone" thread at some point or something along those lines.

Last edited by a moderator:
G'day again @Mark. Looking forward to hearing your advice and eying your str8's in SOTD's... Oh, and I want one of your GD's now I'm off Sabbatical! [emoji13]

Welcome. I am new to DE shaving, having watched videos I think straight razor shaving is a long long way off for me but I respect the people that do it.

Welcome. I am new to DE shaving, having watched videos I think straight razor shaving is a long long way off for me but I respect the people that do it.
Thank you @SydBJW. DE's are perfectly fine, glad you're into this way of shaving. there's lots of variety and blade/razor combos which makes it fun. Straights are a completely different animal.

@Mark Your timing is impeccable! I've been looking at giving straights a go for a while but what to buy, stropping, honing,etc,etc... It seems all too hard for a time poor person. I'd appreciate your professional advice as to a reasonably cost effective starting kit. What razor to buy, hopefully working on the assumption that you are happy to hone it for me when needed (of course everyone has to make a living so I'm happy to pay for your expertise, so make sure you recommend something you are happy to work with!). Also, what strop would you recommend for a beginner considering I'll probably cut it to pieces whilst learning to strop :)

You mentioned a "how to" thread in the future. That would be fantastic. Can I suggest a "how to strop" as first cab off the rank? After all, from what I can see, that is the first, last and most often undertaken task for a straight shaver.

Yeah mate just figured out you were Wet Shaving Advocate of Youtube fame. You've a deft hand with the metal and stone...in awe (y)

Welcome....

Yeah mate just figured out you were Wet Shaving Advocate of Youtube fame. You've a deft hand with the metal and stone...in awe (y)

Welcome....

Me too!! I thought the name/skills sounded vaguely familiar. I quick you tube hunt confirmed it. Funny, I was doing that while stiilshunter was posting. Could have saved 10 minutes of my life!! BTW. I bought the Shaver Heaven Barber Shop solely based on your review and it's a top shelf soap. Thanks mate :)

@Mark - do you rinse your str8's or wipe? I've heard wiping them with a towel or tissue is better as it keeps them dry.

I'm not Mark but I'll add two cents :)

I rinse my razor, being careful not to get any water in the hinge, and always wipe it dry before closing it.

One advantage of wiping is your less likely to bash the sharp bit against a tap

I'm not Mark but I'll add two cents :)

I rinse my razor, being careful not to get any water in the hinge, and always wipe it dry before closing it.

One advantage of wiping is your less likely to bash the sharp bit against a tap
Thanks str8 NowNicked. [emoji13]

Yep. I'd also heard that wiping was a good idea as you're less likely to tap it against something.

@JayDee It's great to see new straight shooters, all you need to start straight shaving is a straight razor and a strop, I have made a video a while back on how to strop if you want to check it out but thanks for the ideas, all those topics will be brought up in new posts that I'm planning to make. Glad the review was helpful, S/H barbershop is fantastic imo, glad you enjoy it.

@filobiblic I rinse my straight razor under running water, the blade only. When I'm doing a video I wipe it because running water sounds terrible on video lol

Oh dear, another straight guy.

This forum really is going to the dogs. We should have some standards and DE use, even in combination with straights, would be essential.

So apart from straights what sort of kit do you have Mark?

Oh, welcome I suppose .... ;)