Stumbling into the world of DE shaving

So I've accidentally stumbled into the world of wet shaving after picking up a Jack the Barber razor, blades and brush on a whim at the shops the other day.

First couple of shaves were very rough (although much improved once I upgraded to proraso shaving soap). Probably 95% my bad technique, but can say I love the feel of the razor, so started to look at different razors/blades and came across this forum.

Didn't take me long to realise that this is a rabbit hole, just hoping it will be less expensive than the espresso rabbit hole I fell into last year!

Next step is to find a better razor (something with knurling), and pick up a sample pack of blades.
Welcome.
Yes, wet shaving can be a BIG rabbit hole. Some enjoy non stop collecting and others buy and sell or give away over the years. I used to be both but have now settled on just four DE razors and a couple of Straights that I rotate through depending on time and my mood.
If you want to start looking at razors, soaps, brushes etc. there are dozens of online retailers.
Italian Barber has a good selection at affordable prices.
Artisan Arcade is a Melbourne based online store selling Stirling Soap Co. products (the soaps are really good).
Cella's Crema Sapone shaving soap is excellent.
As for blades? There are sample packs sold at virtually all online shaving stores.
Good luck in your decades of wet shaving addiction.
PS: If you want a good razor handle and you know someone who has a lathe then machine custom handles (brass, stainless, aluminium) to your liking, that way you will have a handle that will suit any razor head you use.

Last edited:
PS: If you want a good razor handle and you know someone who has a lathe then machine custom handles (brass, stainless, aluminium) to your liking, that way you will have a handle that will suit any razor head you use.
@TroyTools is a pretty good hand with a lathe. He's made one or two quite nice brush handles too... (See here and here for a start) ;)

@TroyTools is a pretty good hand with a lathe. He's made one or two quite nice brush handles too... (See here and here for a start) ;)
eO74vjj.gif

Here too!

Over 100 synthetic and boar brushes in stock and ready to go.

Plus a few gems I'm still sitting on at the moment, haven't photographed them yet. Soon though.