Thater or Shavemac 2 Band

Psmith

Pmember
So, I've decided too raise my badger game somewhat. I'm looking at a nice 2 band from one of the above. Ideally something that feels notably different to what I already have (Simpson Chubby 2 best, PJ2 Super, Duke 2 best, Commodore X2, Special Best) . I face lather exclusively and almost always use soaps.

So, I'm looking at either a Thater 4125/2 2 band bulb from shaving.ie or a 2 band shavemac 24/48 fan in 173 blue handle or Americana or Colonia handle.

I've had a shavemac 177 before and I wasn't that impressed with its performance. It was a huge shedder, but I'm aware that shavemac has great customer service and happy to try them again.

Would be very interested in your thoughts. Come on P&Cers, do what you do best. Get other people to spend their money.:LOL:

Some pics:

thater_2_band_4125_2__96254.1437057690.1280.1280.jpg

1800_2.jpg
CSC_1328_zps1mkvkb44.jpg~original

Don't judge Shavemac brushes by the #177. It's a solid badger, but I LOVE my little (22mm) 2-band SH. It and the D01 are jostling each other as favourite...

I have never tried a Thater :(

It's been always on my next badger to try list and then something else came up :D

What I now for sure though is, I am not a big fan of the traditional pointy German Bulb. I like the somewhat flatter bulbs, but not the pointy ones like the Thater/Shavemac...

Out of the 3 brushes you pictured I'd go for the blue one straight away - beautiful colour handle and I love my 2-band Silvertip.

If you want more scrub/backbone, go for the D01 2-band, but I have heard mixed stories on that one - @Draco Noir has a D01 3band and I'm sure he can tell you more about it...

But: I would ask Bernd from Shavemac first - I think his advice would be the least biased

As you know i recently picked up the Thater in question. Unfortunately I haven't tried the shavemac two band Silvertip so I can't offer a comparison. All my brushes are fans bar the Thater, that said the shape of the Thater is perfectly suited to the type of hair. It has just the right amount of backbone to splay to get the lather really thick.

As you'll read Thater tips are some of the softest as nearly all are curled. For
me it has become my lazy brush. When I'm not feeling up to the task I pick this brush up as its a piece of cake to get an outstanding lather.

If I was buying new I would go Shavemac as Bernds warranty is very good. However I myself would be hunting on BST as often many excellent examples (perhaps less Thaters) come up.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you setup a shipito account probably have it delivered for another $15 AUD on top of what there asking

As you know i recently picked up the Thater in question. Unfortunately I haven't tried the shavemac two band Silvertip so I can't offer a comparison. All my brushes are fans bar the Thater, that said the shape of the Thater is perfectly suited to the type of hair. It has just the right amount of backbone to splay to get the lather really thick.

As you'll read Thater tips are some of the softest as nearly all are curled. For
me it has become my lazy brush. When I'm not feeling up to the task I pick this brush up as its a piece of cake to get an outstanding lather.

If I was buying new I would go Shavemac as Bernds warranty is very good. However I myself would be hunting on BST as often many excellent examples (perhaps less Thaters) come up.
Thanks @Young Buck, some great brushes are out there. My thoughts are that buying from Europe is better than the USA atm. Doing the math there's not an enormous saving, compared to the peace of mind of having that warranty as well as specs that I've chosen myself.

I'm leaning towards the shavemac 2 band in blue 173 handle, although this in black/brown looks pretty classy:
21d2zah.jpg

Thanks @Young Buck, some great brushes are out there. My thoughts are that buying from Europe is better than the USA atm. Doing the math there's not an enormous saving, compared to the peace of mind of having that warranty as well as specs that I've chosen myself.

I'm leaning towards the shavemac 2 band in blue 173 handle, although this in black/brown looks pretty classy:
21d2zah.jpg

If I was ordering I'd go 25x52 knot

Thanks, I was thinking about 26x50 in fan 2 band, but still not sure. Do you think that would be too short? Too similar to the Chubby 2?
Will be nothing like a Chubby - nothing

26 will be ~27.5 out of the handle so anything between 49-52 sounds perfect to me