Top tier soaps

Rami

2017 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
I saw this in Mark's Klar review. And it got me wondering

" It is that there will be some soaps that are 'top shelf' and some that are 'second tier'. My guess is that between the top shelf soaps differences are likely to be impacted by other factors, including user error. So I would happily recommend all my 'top shelf' soaps to others on the basis that personal 'rankings' might vary a little.

'Second tier' soaps are good and I would not avoid them or recommend against buying them. Scents and other personal factors may make them more desirable for you and indeed your experience in use may be different as well."

So in light of the above what is your top tier and second tier soaps. And what have you tried thus far.

Here goes with my first attempt:

Top Shelf: Klars, Mikes, Mystic Waters, Phoenix & Beau, Henri et Victoria, B&M, Shaver Heaven

Others: Reef Point, Cella, Proraso, P.160, Soap Commander

More to come ...

I should make clear too that MY choice are based on both performance and scent, the latter often being the distinguishing factor between good and top shelf

Last edited:
First Tier:
Haslinger, Saponificio Varesino and Fine Accoutrements so far.

Second Tier:
Shaver Heaven, B&M, Cella, Arko, MWF

However, if we take price into accounting then I'll move Haslinger and Fine Accoutrements into the 2nd tier (simply because of the price per one shave) and move Shaver Heaven and B&M into the 1st tier.

What i have used and works for me
My expectations quality of shave, scent and very important post shave feel

First Tier:

Le Pere Lucien
Il Coloniali
Saponificio Varesino
Caties Bubbles

On its way: Martin de Candre ? suspect it will be a First Tier soap

Second Tier:
St James of London
Barrister & Mann
Tim"s Soap
Shaver Heaven
Cella
Proraso
The Sudsy Soapery
The Art of Shaving
Tabac
MWF
DR Harris
TOBS
Razorock
L'occitane Cade
PAA
Geo F Trumper

What i have used and works for me
My expectations quality of shave, scent and very important post shave feel

First Tier:

Le Pere Lucien
Il Coloniali
Saponificio Varesino
Caties Bubbles

On its way: Martin de Candre ? suspect it will be a First Tier soap

Second Tier:
St James of London
Barrister & Mann
Tim"s Soap
Shaver Heaven
Cella
Proraso
The Sudsy Soapery
The Art of Shaving
Tabac
MWF
DR Harris
TOBS
Razorock
L'occitane Cade
PAA
Geo F Trumper

The reason I joined was to get on the mdc group buy. Alas I was too late. Let us know how you find it.

The reason I joined was to get on the mdc group buy. Alas I was too late. Let us know how you find it.

@SpeedyPC was making noise about potentially selling his MdC a day or two ago. He has at least 2 I believe (in both original and fougere scents).

@Rami i guess I'm fortunate my wife has been in Paris for two weeks and she is bringing me back some MDC scented & Fougere also some new LPL 2016 limited edition tallow soap, and maybe a few other things.
The MDC is still very expensive to buy in Paris hope its as good as they say.

Caveat - criteria important to me in order of priority, slickness (inc residual glide), cushion, scent, post-shave, price. First pass as I will forget some. Some soaps with borderline top tier slickness or cushion have been pushed into second because of high pricing.

Top: Jabonman, B&M, Stirling, Mikes, Mystic Waters, Blackship Grooming (aka Beaver Woodwright), SH (both tallow and vegan), Labelle, MWF, CRSW, Caties Bubbles, Tims, Reef Point,

Second: Sudsy Soapery, LPL, Dr Jons, WSP (non-tallow and formula T), PAA, Tiki, Proraso, Cella, Razorock, Wickhams, MdC, Scottish Fine Soaps

Don't Bother; Col Conk...

First Tier:
MWF, Haslinger, Tabac, Pre De Provence No. 63 & Mike Natural Soaps

On its way: Santa Maria del Fiore Sapone da Barba Shaving Soap

Second Tier:
Martin de Candre Scented, Dr Harris Windsor & Nivea Sensitive Shaving Cream

@SpeedyPC was making noise about potentially selling his MdC a day or two ago. He has at least 2 I believe (in both original and fougere scents).

@filobiblic I've only got one MdC Scented not two and I'm thinking about it :oops: either way I could end up giving this to my brother because he does enjoy the MdC almost more than me.

Gillette shave foam and gel

@borked your shaving with the Evil Darth Lord of Gillette shave foam and gel (n):confused::eek:
af5094c9bff16939eca59f65aae36386129ef602.jpg

Last edited:
Very funny. In that case you wouldn't mind passing on some of these you had at your table at the meet would you.

All the clear mountain air yesterday obviosuly messed with @borked's head!

This is a bit tricky for me, as I mainly choose soaps with glide and post shave feel for using a straight razor. So saying that;

Top Tier- Sudsy Soapery, Mike's, First Canadain, Mikey Lee's and Shaver Heaven

Second Tier- Saponifico Varesino, Reef Point, TOBS, St James of London, The Body Shop

Not really. He audibly growled when I mentioned buying one at the meet [emoji14]

I think he really wanted to drive down the demand so he can catch them all

The soap that is.
That's because you suggested buying, not trading

First Tier:
Col Conk, Gillette shave foam and gel

On its way:
Crabtree & Evelyn, PAA

Second Tier:
Too many to mention

Bin:
B&M, SH

I would add Castle Forbes, MdC and Occam's to the Bin category, other than that I agree...