Review Washpool Farm Shaving Soap

nav1

Active Member from afar
2018 Sabbatical Fail
Hi Gents,

I wanted to post my review/thoughts on this Aussie made shaving soap from Washpool Farm.

The soap is a hard croap. This means, you can dent the soap with your finger but you would need to press fairly hard. It's more solid than Boellis Panama, Razorock soaps and I would say similar to Mystic Waters in consistency.

The scent is a very soothing, relaxing scent. It really does well to make shaving a relaxing experience! It's definitely not a punch you in the face type scent and that's what I like about it. It's present enough to enjoy it and for the scent to impart a soothing effect. It's the type of scent that I wouldn't get tired of and I actually catch myself sniffing the soap throughout the day when at home :)

So, for today's shave, I used the Washpool Shaving Soap, Semogue LE Cerda brush (my alltime favourite brush), Merkur Progress with Polsilver blade.

With boar brushes, I lightly shake them out to rid the excess water but I never flick or squeeze the water out. I find this makes loading easy and also building the lather where I don't have to add a ton of water.

Brush loading:

Yes, the brush is standing upright. Once it loads up and starts to drag on the soap, I know it's loaded enough. The thick soap paste in the brush head allows it to stand like this.

Within about 10 seconds I had plenty loaded up, ready to face lather:

I started face lathering with circular motions and the lather thickened right up in about 15 seconds. After that, it kept thickened up even more so I had to add a little but of water. Worked that in for about 20 seconds and I had glistening, rich, slick lather.

The razor just glided right through the stubble. This is one factor I love about Washpool, its ability to soften up the stubble! It really makes light work of my tough stubble. This effect is achieved only by my 2 other faves...MWF and LEA.

The lather itself is very rich and thick and feels "fatty". Hard to explain but it could be something to do with high levels of tallow in the soap, lack of palm oil or perhaps just the overall R&D that went into creating the overall formula. Whatever it is, I just love it! It's like your face is really being protected but without preventing closeness...cos I ended up with a full BBS!!

The soap also contains lots of skin loving goodies to really look after your skin! After the shave, my face felt very soft and smooth and not a hint of irritation! Just look at that ingredients list! No wonder this soap cared for my skin so well !! I just put a small dab of aftershave balm and I was done.

I should mention I also used this soap earlier in the week with my Simpson Commodore X2 and it performed just as great. With the synthetic, not so good but that was my fault as I don't use synth brushes often and the lather was too thick so I didn't get the closeness I like. The skin care was still awesome...cos, well...it's the same soap.

Overall, this less-known shaving soap has shot up into my top 3 of all time best shaving soaps! In my 8+ years of DE shaving, I've used a minimum of 60 different soaps so I have a fairly good idea of the different characteristics of various soaps and also how soaps perform for me and my preferences.

I can't recommend this soap highly enough! Just cos it's not as well known as the Stirlings, Reef Points, Mystic Waters, Synergys etc etc of the shaving world, doesn't make it any less of a good shaving soap. For me, it beats out all the above stated soaps! And the price, at $15/200 grams, is outstanding value!

Value: 10/10
Scent (to my liking): 9/10
Scent strength: 6/10
Ease of loading: 10/10
Ease of lather production: 10/10 (thickens up nice and quick!!)
Lather stability: 10/10 (stayed thick and rick throughout the entire shave)
Slickness: 9/10 (MWF is the only soap I have ever given 10/10)
Post shave feel: 9/10 (MWF is the only soap I have ever given 10/10)

*You'll notice I didn't rate "protection". I don't find this rating relevant because I could use a shaving cream which will give me 10/10 protection but never a close shave, that's why I don't use creams at all. A good quality soap, which provides good slickness and good post-shave care is by default a protective soap.

You forgot to mention it's a local AUSSIE soap! [emoji6]
Great comments @nav1

Thanks for the great review @nav1

The more I use this soap, the more I find myself looking forward to use it again.

That fatty feel I spoke about in my review is getting addictive. I like the way the lather feels on my face whilst shaving and how great my skin feels post shave.

I'm really enjoying the washpool shaving soap.

The stubble softening ability is definitely better than majority of soaps I've used.

Post shave is just brilliant!!

I am really tempted to get a tub of this soap to try out

I personally can't recommend it highly enough!

Washpool gives me my most comfortable and closest shaves.
I have many, many shaving soaps I use for scent variety but their performance is well below my top performers.
The scent is very pleasant and the ingredients/post-shave care is magnificent.

And to top it off, $15 for a massive 200g is quite the deal!

I'm keen to give another local company a go but noticed they are out on their website. So decide to give them a bell and see when they were restocking their shaving soaps. The lovey lady at Washpool Farm Soaps informed me that they have 3 new scents coming out as early as the next few weeks.

*Bergamot (Bergaptene Free), Cedarwood & Patchouli
*Lemongrass, Lime & Lemon Myrtle
*Lanolin - Unscented

All are 180gm and $18 each.

Still keen to try these after such great things have been said, even though price has gone up and size has gone down

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I'd continue this one...

I received test samples of the three above mentioned soaps.

As per my previous use of Washpool shaving soaps, the soap formula rocks! One of the best I've ever used!
Very easy to load, very easy and intuitive to build a lather. You can add water to it without having to worry about it going too thin, too quickly.
The lather takes on a nice sheen but remains rich and creamy. It's easy to tell when it's ready to go! Performance is awesome! Very slick and allows for a very close, comfy shave!
Post shave is basically like providing your face with a skin treatment, minus the fuss, expense and girlishness!!

- The Lemon Grass, Lime and Lemon Myrtle (LG,L,LM) soap had a great scent! It's very refreshing and scent strength will appease people who like a bit of scent but not blow your head off like Tabac!
It's a gentle and refreshing scent and I enjoyed it heaps! I would prefer more LM and less LG but Melissa tells me any higher LM can cause skin irritation so that's fair enough. Melissa has great technical knowledge which is great cos a lot of soap makers just add this and add that without knowing much about the impact on the user!
Highly recommended for those who like a refreshing, slightly tangy citrus scent!

- The Bergamot, Cedar, Patchouli (BCP) scent was divine! This is literally one of the nicest, most perfectly balanced scents I've ever smelt in any product, not just shaving soaps!
I wish there was an aftershave balm in this scent! It was one of my most enjoyable shaves of all time!
Off the puck, the scent was great but once I loaded up and started face lathering, OMG!...it was a truly great experience! I never put the leftover lather on my face when I'm cleaning my equipment but I felt compelled to do that today! I even went a little slower with my shave to enjoy the scent. It was just one of those experiences that come out of nowhere and take you by surprise!
I won't talk about performance as that is mentioned above. Performance and post-shave are second to none!! But the BCP scent...it was truly a blissful experience!!

- Unscented Lanolin: as the name suggests, this one has added lanolin wax and no added scents. The scent is the natural lanolin...very natural, very sheepy :D
I really like the natural scent of lanolin! I enjoyed this soap a lot! The skin conditioning is top-tier! Skin is left very soft and supple but not greasy.

I don't buy the whole lanolin allergy because lanolin wax is actually very close in properties to human sebum. Most people who have complained about lanolin allergy from soaps like MWF or Mike's etc (including my Father) have used other products with lanolin and had no allergy so the scent in the other soaps must have been the culprit.

This is a highly conditioning soap, especially for our winter times. Very nourishing for the skin and the soap itself provides a smooth, close shave. It's the perfect answer for those days we want a great shave with super skin conditioning and perhaps no fragrance but just a nice, clean scent.

As per my previous use of Washpool shaving soaps, the soap formula rocks! One of the best I've ever used!

Have you used Shaver Heaven (Esp Tallow)? I'd be interested in a comparison.

The Lemon Grass, Lime and Lemon Myrtle (LG,L,LM) soap had a great scent! It's very refreshing and scent strength will appease people who like a bit of scent but not blow your head off like Tabac!

Blow your head off like Tabac? Okay - there is your bench mark for scent strength. For me, Tabac is a long way off "blowing my head off". I would consider it a good strength, middle of the road so I'll consider the washpool stuff to be mild then.

Any menthol in the LLLM? No mention of it so I assume not. I'm keen to give LLLM a go when it becomes available. Always ready for a new Aussie soap!!

Have you used Shaver Heaven (Esp Tallow)? I'd be interested in a comparison.

Blow your head off like Tabac? Okay - there is your bench mark for scent strength. For me, Tabac is a long way off "blowing my head off". I would consider it a good strength, middle of the road so I'll consider the washpool stuff to be mild then.

Any menthol in the LLLM? No mention of it so I assume not. I'm keen to give LLLM a go when it becomes available. Always ready for a new Aussie soap!!

I've used SH non-tallow. Performance of SH is good but Washpool, IME, is superior.
The scent strength is about the same as SH, perhaps a tad less on the Washpool.

No menthol in the LLLM but a very refreshing scent for sure!

What do you consider very strongly scented soaps?

I've used SH non-tallow. Performance of SH is good but Washpool, IME, is superior.
The scent strength is about the same as SH, perhaps a tad less on the Washpool.
No menthol in the LLLM but a very refreshing scent for sure!
What do you consider very strongly scented soaps?

Shame there is no menthol... but I'll still grab some anyway. I like Lemmon Mertyl. There is a mob near here called "Whitsunday Mertyl". They mostly sell snake oil claiming the LM cures just about everything but healing claims aside, they make some great body soaps. They make what they call "Shave Soap" but it's not. It doesn't lather any different to a body soap unfortunately... not that I have actually tried it.

Strongly Scented Soap? I don't think I have met one yet and only a few that are near the level I prefer. Tabac is one of them.

Shame there is no menthol... but I'll still grab some anyway. I like Lemmon Mertyl. There is a mob near here called "Whitsunday Mertyl". They mostly sell snake oil claiming the LM cures just about everything but healing claims aside, they make some great body soaps. They make what they call "Shave Soap" but it's not. It doesn't lather any different to a body soap unfortunately... not that I have actually tried it.

Strongly Scented Soap? I don't think I have met one yet and only a few that are near the level I prefer. Tabac is one of them.

Yeah, lemon myrtle is one of my all time favourite scents! It's like a "tangy, slightly spicy, slightly sweet lemon".

In terms of scent strength, I think your sniffer is an exception :D
Tabac is generally regarded as one of the strongest smelling soaps. I have yet to smell one stronger (and I've used well over 60 different soaps).
Reef Point's Santal Fougere is fairly strong, but probably a notch down from Tabac.

Washpool is a tad stronger than Haslinger, and I find Haslinger more than adequate to enjoy during the shave.

Yeah, lemon myrtle is one of my all time favourite scents! It's like a "tangy, slightly spicy, slightly sweet lemon".

In terms of scent strength, I think your sniffer is an exception :D
Tabac is generally regarded as one of the strongest smelling soaps. I have yet to smell one stronger (and I've used well over 60 different soaps).
Reef Point's Santal Fougere is fairly strong, but probably a notch down from Tabac.

Washpool is a tad stronger than Haslinger, and I find Haslinger more than adequate to enjoy during the shave.

I am sure you are correct... hence why I appreciate you mentioning Tabac for scale. Certainly is the case my sniffer doesn't sniff light scents. My Mrs has just about given up putting perfume on for my sake.