Weekly Razor Review

Blackland Vector OC Polished – (USA)

Blacklands Vector SE razors have been released for something like three years but how often do you seen one for sale on a BST? Rarely, and there is a good reason; they are a very good razor with a well deserved reputation as a great user friendly SE razor. I used the Vector not long after it was first released in 2018 and came away very impressed. I have now acquired a second Vector with both SB and OC plates in a polished finish, this week I’ll be using the OC plate. Artist Club blades have three, long, narrow, elongated holes running along the centre that are way too narrow for a typical 5mm dia handle post to fit through. If only the head could be made to similar dimensions of a SE blade; with their thinking cap on, Blackland simply machined both sides off the 5mm handle post till it slipped through the AC blade. Now, machine all the excess material from around the cap and plate, and what you’re left with is a Blackland Vector, only marginally larger that the dimensions of an AC blade. On this scaled down head, anything but the finest comb teeth would look out of place, another tick for Blackland. There were those of us who questioned the longevity of the machined handle post but I’ve not heard of one instance where the handle has cross threaded or broken, don’t talk too loud Errol. In keeping with the minimalist design of the head, Vector’s handle is long and thin but from previous experience this handle performs admirably and above all, suits this application.

When the only criticism I have of a razor is that I have to rinse more often than usual, it’s a pretty good piece of kit. Efficiency wise, the Vector OC equates to around that of a Karve CB level #D, there is a pleasant amount of blade feel and those fine teeth do little more than tickle as they glide over the face. What really surprises is just how well that long, narrow handle performs. I usually don’t appreciate long handles in the first place and then when the handle is machined down till there’s very little left? Well! it works, and it works well. When I reviewed the machined version I remember having difficulty seeing the blade against the cap, the two parts blended together. I even suggested to Shane at the time that a jet black option would be my choice, but now using with the polished version I did not experience as much of a problem. This Vector razor continues to deliver a close and smooth shaving experience that its users appreciate. Delightful.

Blades Used – Schick P-30 and Kia Captain Titan Mild Pink
Material – 303 Stainless steel
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 76g
Head Width – 50.08mm
Handle Length – 91.97mm
Handle Diameter – 10.94mm
Availability – Blackland
Final Word – Good stuff

Blackland Vector Titanium Single Edge – (USA)

When Blackland opted to machine a titanium Vector, they used the same geometry and design that was developed for their original Vector; why change that winning formula. In the switch from stainless steel to titanium, a massive 32g has been shaved from what was already a superlight and very maneuverable razor. It’s strange that when used in isolation the reduced weight of the Vector Ti is not really a factor; it still feels solid and has a similar feel about it. However, line up a stainless steel Vector and a titanium Vector side by side and there is a noticeable weight difference. When I ordered the Vector Ti, the polished version box was ticked and I have to say that Blackbird have delivered an outstanding polish job on the Vector Ti. Again, on it’s lonesome, the polished Vector Ti is a shiny silver but line it up along side the stainless steel version and, well, it’s not as silver; dare I say, titanium tinted, two distinct shades.

It's a good thing I was not expecting much change from that experienced with the stainless steel Vector; the Vector Ti felt almost the same as the Vector OC reviewed last week. Missing however, was the soothing effect of the comb against the face, efficiency was still at the Karve CB Level #D and there was a pleasant amount of blade feel; the resultant shave was still smooth and certainly close. The weight difference between the two Vectors was noticeable, but in use, not as much as you’d probably expect. Blackland’s Vector Ti is simply a brilliant razor that works exceptionally well at all times, it’s compact, has that minimal appearance, it’s functional, it’s maneuverable, smooth shaving and delivers an extremely close shave but it is not a razor that I would immediately recommend. Instead, I recommend any razor from the Vector inventory, the Ti is as great a razor as the rest.

Blades Used – Schick P-30 and Feather Professional Super
Material – Titanium
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 44g
Head Width – 50.06mm
Handle Length – 92.06mm
Handle Diameter – 10.88mm
Availability – Blackland
Final Word – Quality shave

When Blackland opted to machine a titanium Vector, they used the same geometry and design that was developed for their original Vector; why change that winning formula. In the switch from stainless steel to titanium, a massive 32g has been shaved from what was already a superlight and very maneuverable razor. It’s strange that when used in isolation the reduced weight of the Vector Ti is not really a factor; it still feels solid and has a similar feel about it. However, line up a stainless steel Vector and a titanium Vector side by side and there is a noticeable weight difference. When I ordered the Vector Ti, the polished version box was ticked and I have to say that Blackbird have delivered an outstanding polish job on the Vector Ti. Again, on it’s lonesome, the polished Vector Ti is a shiny silver but line it up along side the stainless steel version and, well, it’s not as silver; dare I say, titanium tinted, two distinct shades.

It's a good thing I was not expecting much change from that experienced with the stainless steel Vector; the Vector Ti felt almost the same as the Vector OC reviewed last week. Missing however, was the soothing effect of the comb against the face, efficiency was still at the Karve CB Level #D and there was a pleasant amount of blade feel; the resultant shave was still smooth and certainly close. The weight difference between the two Vectors was noticeable, but in use, not as much as you’d probably expect. Blackland’s Vector Ti is simply a brilliant razor that works exceptionally well at all times, it’s compact, has that minimal appearance, it’s functional, it’s maneuverable, smooth shaving and delivers an extremely close shave but it is not a razor that I would immediately recommend. Instead, I recommend any razor from the Vector inventory, the Ti is as great a razor as the rest.

Material – Titanium
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 44g
Head Width – 50.06mm
Handle Length – 92.06mm
Availability – Blackland
Thanks for another awesome review @Errol (y)

Thanks for another great review @Errol, I'm just a little puzzled by this particular concluding remark:
...but it is not a razor that I would immediately recommend. Instead, I recommend any razor from the Vector inventory, the Ti is as great a razor as the rest.
Are you saying you would recommend the SS version(s) and/or that the Ti version is overpriced?

Glad to hear that - some have said (including Shane himself) that the Ti shaves smoother, but I had my doubts. And of course he'll want to upsell the new product. I'm more than happy with my SS Vector.
I recall Shane mentioning his Titanium versions shave smoother, especially with the Blackbird.... :unsure:

Maxwell June (USA)

I spent some time studying the available photos of this device and from what I could make out there was no pivoting head; then I read that if the shaving angle was incorrect the razor simply would not work. That was the selling point for me, if it was another floppy it could stay right where it was, I make a point of staying clear of floppies these days. What we have here is a device that combines with its dedicated three piece loading press to convert the common DE blade into a two blade cartridge style shaver. Its makers claim 75% engineering and 25% magic but there has been a whole lot of engineering for that magic to happen. Without the loading press, I’m pretty sure it would be nigh on impossible to set two ½ DE blades up to fit so perfectly aligned and positioned. I’ll be the first to admit that I had to watch the blade loading video a number of times before I attempted loading a blade myself. I still don’t understand how it all works but there’s magic in the Maxwell June razor. With the blade inserted, all the joins align perfectly to give the whole head a smooth finish. A choice of colours are available; black or silver anodised aluminium, I chose the black; two different length handles were available, so I went for the shorter 97mm option. The handle is fixed to the main body of the Maxwell June razor and a blade holder is a separate entity until a blade is inserted. When assembled, the razor reminds me of a Vector; minimal material in the head and a longish, thin handle.

I was really looking forward to using the Maxwell June, I even slotted it in early to my schedule just so I could experience it. Razors able to use ½ DE blades stimulate my warped sense of what’s good. I was looking at the photos I’d taken of the Maxwell June; low and behold, the blade was not sitting straight, there was a gap one side of the blade holder. Pulled it down, inspected what I could, found nothing, put another blade back in, everything nice and square. I surmise that I must have bumped the razor against something to dislodge the seating while out getting a photo of it. Try as I might, it would not straighten by hand; of course, I never thought to put the razor back into the press, that may have worked. The blades are retained in position by friction, there is no mechanical clamping. My first trials were completed with used blades so it did not matter a whole lot but it did make me check everything was right with a working blade inserted.

I might be fascinated by razors that use ½ DE blades but my success rate with those I’ve used previously has been dismal. In fact, I’ve had no success at all, so you could have knocked me down with a feather when the Maxwell June actually worked; try Karve CB level #C minus efficiency. If you want a smooth shave, the Maxwell June performs that function with ease and to make the shave even more appealing there was a small amount of blade feel. The leading blade is the more prominent blade so I suspect that it is performing the majority of the work while the trailing blade cleans up. Probably due to its light weight and aluminium chassis, there was an ever present audio accompaniment as the Maxwell June shaved, it wasn’t loud but it certainly let you know the blades were working. After promising results using the Leaf blade I inserted a Feather for the last couple of shaves but there was no noticeable change. Unfortunately, there was a down side to the Maxwell June; shaving downwards under the nose was more difficult than I expected because the top edge of the blade holder is square and does not lend itself well to the tight rotation required to shave under the nose. That is not going to affect the wife while she is working those long strokes on her legs. Another problem for this razor is that is going keep disappearing from within the household. Don’t worry, you can probably have it back when a blade change is necessary. All that aside, the Maxwell June performed extremely well, even though it would have been designed to appeal to those converting from disposables, but it does deliver the goods for anyone willing to try it. This razor works well.

P.S. I could not bring myself to present a photo of the Maxwell June where the blade holder was sitting lopsided. After processing the review I left the blade in and decided to use that blade in the photo; would you believe it, this blade screwed up for the photo also. In use, the blade holder had performed faultlessly and was square at every shave; there was no requirement to do anything other than check that everything looked right. What I can tell you now is that the press will reposition the blades and straighten them up. Third time around, I took the loading press along to get the photo, it worked. Because the Maxwell June is light, you might be thinking it would make a good travel razor but for me having to bring the press along would negate the benefit of the light weight.

Blades Used – Leaf and Feather
Material – 6061 Aluminium
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 31g
Head Width – 46.02mm
Handle Length – 96.49mm
Handle Diameter – 11.37mm
Availability – Maxwell June
Final Word – A pleasant surprise

Maxwell June (USA)

I spent some time studying the available photos of this device and from what I could make out there was no pivoting head; then I read that if the shaving angle was incorrect the razor simply would not work. That was the selling point for me, if it was another floppy it could stay right where it was, I make a point of staying clear of floppies these days. What we have here is a device that combines with its dedicated three piece loading press to convert the common DE blade into a two blade cartridge style shaver. Its makers claim 75% engineering and 25% magic but there has been a whole lot of engineering for that magic to happen. Without the loading press, I’m pretty sure it would be nigh on impossible to set two ½ DE blades up to fit so perfectly aligned and positioned. I’ll be the first to admit that I had to watch the blade loading video a number of times before I attempted loading a blade myself. I still don’t understand how it all works but there’s magic in the Maxwell June razor. With the blade inserted, all the joins align perfectly to give the whole head a smooth finish. A choice of colours are available; black or silver anodised aluminium, I chose the black; two different length handles were available, so I went for the shorter 97mm option. The handle is fixed to the main body of the Maxwell June razor and a blade holder is a separate entity until a blade is inserted. When assembled, the razor reminds me of a Vector; minimal material in the head and a longish, thin handle.

I was really looking forward to using the Maxwell June, I even slotted it in early to my schedule just so I could experience it. Razors able to use ½ DE blades stimulate my warped sense of what’s good. I was looking at the photos I’d taken of the Maxwell June; low and behold, the blade was not sitting straight, there was a gap one side of the blade holder. Pulled it down, inspected what I could, found nothing, put another blade back in, everything nice and square. I surmise that I must have bumped the razor against something to dislodge the seating while out getting a photo of it. Try as I might, it would not straighten by hand; of course, I never thought to put the razor back into the press, that may have worked. The blades are retained in position by friction, there is no mechanical clamping. My first trials were completed with used blades so it did not matter a whole lot but it did make me check everything was right with a working blade inserted.

I might be fascinated by razors that use ½ DE blades but my success rate with those I’ve used previously has been dismal. In fact, I’ve had no success at all, so you could have knocked me down with a feather when the Maxwell June actually worked; try Karve CB level #C minus efficiency. If you want a smooth shave, the Maxwell June performs that function with ease and to make the shave even more appealing there was a small amount of blade feel. The leading blade is the more prominent blade so I suspect that it is performing the majority of the work while the trailing blade cleans up. Probably due to its light weight and aluminium chassis, there was an ever present audio accompaniment as the Maxwell June shaved, it wasn’t loud but it certainly let you know the blades were working. After promising results using the Leaf blade I inserted a Feather for the last couple of shaves but there was no noticeable change. Unfortunately, there was a down side to the Maxwell June; shaving downwards under the nose was more difficult than I expected because the top edge of the blade holder is square and does not lend itself well to the tight rotation required to shave under the nose. That is not going to affect the wife while she is working those long strokes on her legs. Another problem for this razor is that is going keep disappearing from within the household. Don’t worry, you can probably have it back when a blade change is necessary. All that aside, the Maxwell June performed extremely well, even though it would have been designed to appeal to those converting from disposables, but it does deliver the goods for anyone willing to try it. This razor works well.

P.S. I could not bring myself to present a photo of the Maxwell June where the blade holder was sitting lopsided. After processing the review I left the blade in and decided to use that blade in the photo; would you believe it, this blade screwed up for the photo also. In use, the blade holder had performed faultlessly and was square at every shave; there was no requirement to do anything other than check that everything looked right. What I can tell you now is that the press will reposition the blades and straighten them up. Third time around, I took the loading press along to get the photo, it worked. Because the Maxwell June is light, you might be thinking it would make a good travel razor but for me having to bring the press along would negate the benefit of the light weight.

Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 31g
Head Width – 46.02mm
Handle Length – 96.49mm
Really @Errol ?
In all seriousness, you have delivered an outstanding review of what is unquestionably an engineering marvel. Not sure about the magic.
What surprised me is your stated fascination with ½ DE blades. My feeling has always been, why not just take a DE razor and only use one side until that half of the blade wears out, and then start shaving with the other side? :cautious:

Maxwell June (USA)

Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 31g
Head Width – 46.02mm
Handle Length – 96.49mm
Very enjoyable read of a razor I had yet to read any reviews for. Keep up the amazing work @Errol (y)

Material – Titanium
Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 44g
Head Width – 50.06mm
Handle Length – 92.06mm
Availability – Blackland

Maxwell June (USA)

Blade Tab - Covered
Weight – 31g
Head Width – 46.02mm
Handle Length – 96.49mm

I thought you may be interested in the comments from Rob Glenn. the designer of the Maxwell June.

Hi Errol,

Thank you for taking the time to write up a thorough review. You were very fair and it doesn’t hurt that it seems like you liked it!

Our number one goal is to give a great shave with as many of the features of a cartridge that we can pack into our head without being a throw away cart. For us, that path goes through the loading press which is very unique but also added cost and complexity to customers wanting to give us a try. It requires a little bit of a learning curve but the results are awesome and rewarding once you get the hang of it.

I will say that the variation in blade position is something we are constantly working to improve. With so many DE’s out there with metallurgy variations that matter when it breaks, and the subtle variation of human touch with the press, there is a learning curve for feel and it doesn’t yet have a 100% success rate. This has been the focus of our engineering efforts moving forward. To get a close to 100% break and load perfection.

Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions or thoughts along the way.

-rob

--
Robert Glenn
Founder - Maxwell | June
www.maxwelljune.com