Well done for everyone coming together to keep the site going :)

JugV2

Simply boring.
From what RM has said publicly and privately, I'm really happy to hear how the first donation drive has gone so far.

Sure, the $2.43 I donated means I have to sell one of my children to live for the next week but hey it's worth it.

I'm on a lot of forums and I have to say this is probably one of the friendliest and most open forums I have found to date.

I'm proud to be part of Paste and Cut.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am really blown away by the support that has been heaped upon me. Humbling and gratifying. I guess I must be doing something right. :embarrest:

I have just ordered a very beefy virtual server in the US - it was on a New Year's sale promotion and is far in excess of what I had it provisioned on with the 'Free' hosting.

• 4 vCPU (2 previously)
  • 300GB RAID10, SSD Cached (60GB RAID5 previously)
  • 4GB RAM, burst to 8GB (2GB previously)
  • 3x IPv4 addresses (only 1)

Once it is provisioned I will move other stuff to it and test before moving P&C again. Will also need to test a few different hosting panels - I am not that enamoured of Zpanel any more but will use it if required. Daily DB backups will be sent to my place also :)

With that sort of power, we should be able to grow substantially without being concerned about space or overloading my home ADSL.

I am now considering some basic hosting being made available for those donating - some space to host images, maybe your own P&C email address?

I am really blown away by the support that has been heaped upon me. Humbling and gratifying. I guess I must be doing something right. :embarrest:

I have just ordered a very beefy virtual server in the US - it was on a New Year's sale promotion and is far in excess of what I had it provisioned on with the 'Free' hosting.

• 4 vCPU (2 previously)
  • 300GB RAID10, SSD Cached (60GB RAID5 previously)
  • 4GB RAM, burst to 8GB (2GB previously)
  • 3x IPv4 addresses (only 1)

I am now considering some basic hosting being made available for those donating - some space to host images, maybe your own P&C email address?

Just keeping the site running is more than enough for me RM

.............I'm on a lot of forums and I have to say this is probably one of the friendliest and most open forums I have found to date.........

I've tried to be part of other forums but I keep getting kicked off or I leave in total disgust.

I've tried to be part of other forums but I keep getting kicked off or I leave in total disgust.

That's because this is an equal opportunity forum PJ...if we let Glen in then we let anyone in!

We really need to grow membership - so everyone should be asking those in the OCAU and WP threads to come over. If any of you post YNW then try and get the GSL guys to come over.

Hopefully we can get a reasonable volume happening then we rise up the Google rankings which brings yet more members. It's that initial bump you need to get over which we are stuck on right now.

The new VPS has been provisioned and a quick test:

Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
16384+0 records in
16384+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 9.65791 s, 111 MB/s

Compare that to the Microserver which is getting about 8 MB/s on the RAID controller, and 130 MB/s on the SSD, this rates pretty well. Remember I have 300GB of storage on this, the SSD at home only gives me 60GB!

Pretty happy thus far. Looking into control panels.

Wicked! Can I have a control panel? Two?

If I go as far as providing email accounts, you might actually be able to have a Cpanel 'mailonly' control panel. But otherwise no.

I have looked at a couple of panels which are fairly new, not very impressed with them to be honest. Would require back-end tinkering.

VestaCP was one, loved how fast it was but missing some really important management features. If you just want fast web hosting + email, then it's fine.

Nay yet have to go with Cpanel. Was hoping I would not need to however.

I wouldn't bother with email addresses to be honest.

I've got gmail, outlook.com, hotmail and my work email. It's all a bit messy.

Just the option is available I guess! It is down the track a little, and I can always just make it a redirector to your current email address. Lots of flexibility.

I have just bought a Cpanel licence, ongoing monthly cost involved but I cannot find anything else I am comfortable with. The bonus is I can run a DNS and mail 'backup' here at home very easily.

Hopefully I might be able to move some of the current stuff onto the VPS by the coming weekend.

The server has had Cpanel installed, and I will be adding a site to it for testing purposes very soon!

Accounts on the new server have been provisioned. I have also moved the DNS to be 'master' from the new server but pointing back to the old one. There may have been some issues with getting DNS resolution last night.

Tell you what, I am sick of going to bed after 2am.....:confused:

Accounts on the new server have been provisioned. I have also moved the DNS to be 'master' from the new server but pointing back to the old one. There may have been some issues with getting DNS resolution last night.

Tell you what, I am sick of going to bed after 2am.....:confused:

There's no rush! If the site's down for few days that's not really a problem. Nobody seems to be shaving anymore anyhow. Before he has a shave, GT's just waiting for his better half to lock him out for looking like a vagrant.

Okay, just wanted to bring everyone up to date of where things are at.

I have been spending many a late night trying to whip a new & completely separate non-shaving forum into shape. I'm glad that I have had borked available to listen to some ideas and concepts I have for that new community. He also has some contacts which will improve my chances of getting some reasonable sponsorship of the site.

So after a hard slog in recent weeks I am much happier with the build although there are a few more things to do in respect of getting the Forum structure correct, and then applying permissions and milestone-based access. Things like Tapatalk, Google Analytics & Sitemaps are already in place and working. We even have Facebook and Twitter integrated, and with the new forum software you can sign up to the forums via your facebook account - Twitter signup will be available in the next version of the software due in a few months.

There's a few more things needed to happen there, mainly to do with a theme & logo but generally I am getting the hang of things in the new XenForo software which will be helpful during our migration of Paste&Cut from vBulletin to XenForo. We can then take advantage of many new features, while some features will have to be dropped as they are not supported.

While there is not currently enough in the kitty to go out and buy a XenForo licence for Paste&Cut right now, we are not at that stage and we have a reasonable amount of work to get to the point of the other forum being up and running. The long weekend is going to give me the chance to hopefully launch the site properly.

Thanks for the update.

Also, try not to spend too much of your long weekend on this stuff. There's plenty of things that are more important (like actually having a break!)

Mate, glad that I can help in whatever way I can, yet public recognition is not a requisite :)

Mate, glad that I can help in whatever way I can, yet public recognition is not a requisite :)

Of course not, you deserved it.

We have new news. We now have a software licence to run P&C on XenForo.