What blade should I buy a 1000 of?

Grr @ @Mark1966 - it was getting hard enough to find good deals for vintage blades already - and now you have to add another 10 users to those of us scouring the interwebs for them!

Grr @ @Mark1966 - it was getting hard enough to find good deals for vintage blades already - and now you have to add another 10 users to those of us scouring the interwebs for them!

Yeah sorry mate - think of it as increasing the value of your stash!

Hey - Happy shaving :)

I've ordered 1000 Vintage Polsilver Stainless Blades ;)

ypn2zLv.jpg

I still do not get your guys and your need to obtain so many blades, especially vintage ones. I'm not criticising or belittling anyone at all! It just strikes me as quite singular almost peculiar that's all.

I have used feathers for years now, and before that Wilkinson Sword blades (in a fatboy) and have always been more than happy with their performance.

Am I missing something here ? or is it just a case of you guys having the best of the best of kit and so this is just an extension of that?

Genuinely curious!

My reason for hoarding blades is that I have used over 40 blades and my favourite turned out to be the Polsilver Iridium (current production). I bought a small lot of about 200 and also continued to try more blades. Realising no other blade was comparing to the Polsilvers (apart from my 2012 stash of Indian Blacks, which are unobtanium), I decided to steadily increase my stash.

I never intended to have 5200 but that's just what I ended up with and had no intention to ever buy blades again in my life...until the sale on the vintage Polsilvers!!
As I mentioned before, I snoozed on the Gillette Bleue Extra when they were on a clearance sale at just $18/100. I had received a couple from a member and OMG, they were so sharp and so damn smooth, it felt like there was no blade in the razor! Those were the best 10 shaves of my life!!!

So, not wanting to miss out, I blind-purchased 1400 vintage Polsilvers in the hope they will be even better than the current production. If so, I'll be one happy camper...if not, I'll sell them on. If they are the same as existing stock, I'll just hang on to them in any case.

With the risk of favourite items being discontinued at any point, I really didn't want to take the risk, especially Polsilvers have been discontinued a number of times.
If I shave daily with the vintage stock, that'll last me 38 years (age 71)...but I'll alternate with current stock so now I and my future generations are set for a while :)

It has been very educational reading members opinions and thoughts on their need for acquisition of such large numbers of their chosen vintage blade. Ive come away from reading the replies here with a new perspective on the issue of why you do what you do in regards to these blades.

While it is not for me at this stage personally (I'm happy with buying 100 or 200 feathers every few months) I do see the positives in acquiring certain specific production runs of a favoured blade and particularly how changes in manufacture, supply and materials can drastically alter the quality of a certain brand. The action of securing a certain state of manufacture in quantity is a good idea, even if it could be suggested that the quantities some people choose to acquire are most singular and unique.

Genuinely thanks for the posts people, a really good read for me and most enlightening.

I've bought enough to last my lifetime with a bit of wriggle room in case some blades don't last as long as expected.
Sorry, but I'm not really looking to sell any off.

Don't worry eggs, I would not dare come between you and your much prized blades.. I couldn't resist posting as a joke after what mark said that's all mate.

It has been very educational reading members opinions and thoughts on their need for acquisition of such large numbers of their chosen vintage blade. Ive come away from reading the replies here with a new perspective on the issue of why you do what you do in regards to these blades.

While it is not for me at this stage personally (I'm happy with buying 100 or 200 feathers every few months) I do see the positives in acquiring certain specific production runs of a favoured blade and particularly how changes in manufacture, supply and materials can drastically alter the quality of a certain brand. The action of securing a certain state of manufacture in quantity is a good idea, even if it could be suggested that the quantities some people choose to acquire are most singular and unique.

Genuinely thanks for the posts people, a really good read for me and most enlightening.

@todras once I've found the perfect DE blade that suite my skin, beard type and razor always get a 1000 or more DE blades, because you'll never know what will happen in the future and your favorite DE blades may not last in the future if they stop making them the whole idea is plan ahead.

@todras once I've found the perfect DE blade that suite my skin, beard type and razor always get a 1000 or more DE blades, because you'll never know what will happen in the future and your favorite DE blades may not last in the future if they stop making them the whole idea is plan ahead.

And some of us here might just be a little obsessive ...

Hey - Happy shaving :)

I've changed both favourite blades and favourite razors over the past few years... So I'm not willing to shell out for large numbers of blades.
(As it currently stands, between my DE blades, SE blades, injector blades, Feather Pro blades and straight razors I think I'd never need to buy another razor blade again unless I felt like it.)

Don't worry eggs, I would not dare come between you and your much prized blades.. I couldn't resist posting as a joke after what mark said that's all mate.
Compared to others my collection is quite small.
I have about 1000 blades. Vintage blades last me around 8 shaves, so that's 8000 shaves. Considering I only shave every other day that's a shade under 44 years of shaving.
I'm happy with my 2 razors. I've pretty much retired from blade purchases now, and only need to replace software when it runs out. Other than that all I have to buy is the odd brush whenever I manage to kill the present incumbent.