What do you have in the post right now?

@Pbgoose has one so he should be able to chime in with some thoughts. I used his a few times and very different to a DE but enjoyable. Didn't enjoy the large head but a well built razor overall.

Which head did you choose @Gargravarr ? Level 1 or 2?
I love my Sabre. If you are going to compare it to the Vector then the Sabre will lose. It's just a different shave to an AC type blade razor so I think it should carry different expectations. If you enjoy a GEM blade shave then this is a very good platform to do it on. Sometimes I just feel like pulling out a GEM type razor. Sometimes I'll use a vintage GEM razor which are very enjoyable and certainly provide a unique experience.
The beauty of the Sabre is the compact head (compared to other GEM type razors). This was the first design to cut down the head post which allowed a centering/mounting of the blade above the handle. So for a GEM type razor it is quite nimble. I was a little sceptical of how the cut down post would go but find it very reliable (not entirely idiot proof but reliable).
The other thing I love about the Sabre is it's clean simple lines and profile in stainless which make it extremely easy to clean, unlike it's vintage cousins which are a comparative nightmare to clean with many grooves, recesses and edges, they are a bit of a contraption. If I had to criticise the Sabre is it lacks the distintive acoutic resonance that comes from the pressed metal shell of the vintage GEMs, but that's the trade off of the longevity and clean lines of stainless steel.
The first time I saw pictures of the 1912 pattern GEM razors I was repelled thinking I'd never buy one as I was sceptical as to whether I would be satisfied they could be cleaned to the point I would be comfortable using them. I'm glad I did try them due to the unique shaving experience they offer and because it primed me to try the Sabre when it came along.
I find the shave from my Sabre (Level 2) efficient but not aggressive. Maybe similar aggression to the Vector but not quite as efficient.
I'll be interested @Gargravarr to hear your thoughts on the Sabre. It's been a number of weeks since I used mine so this has inspired me to line it up for tomorrow.:)

Although I still say my RAD is dead, I have been curious about these for a while...
Sabre.jpg

...so have plonked down my $$$ for one this morning. If I don't like it, I can always get rid of it on the BST.

Getting yourself all set for a WR3?

Which head did you choose @Gargravarr ? Level 1 or 2?
I love my Sabre. If you are going to compare it to the Vector then the Sabre will lose. It's just a different shave to an AC type blade razor so I think it should carry different expectations. If you enjoy a GEM blade shave then this is a very good platform to do it on. Sometimes I just feel like pulling out a GEM type razor. Sometimes I'll use a vintage GEM razor which are very enjoyable and certainly provide a unique experience.
The beauty of the Sabre is the compact head (compared to other GEM type razors). This was the first design to cut down the head post which allowed a centering/mounting of the blade above the handle. So for a GEM type razor it is quite nimble. I was a little sceptical of how the cut down post would go but find it very reliable (not entirely idiot proof but reliable).
The other thing I love about the Sabre is it's clean simple lines and profile in stainless which make it extremely easy to clean, unlike it's vintage cousins which are a comparative nightmare to clean with many grooves, recesses and edges, they are a bit of a contraption. If I had to criticise the Sabre is it lacks the distintive acoutic resonance that comes from the pressed metal shell of the vintage GEMs, but that's the trade off of the longevity and clean lines of stainless steel.
The first time I saw pictures of the 1912 pattern GEM razors I was repelled thinking I'd never buy one as I was sceptical as to whether I would be satisfied they could be cleaned to the point I would be comfortable using them. I'm glad I did try them due to the unique shaving experience they offer and because it primed me to try the Sabre when it came along.
I find the shave from my Sabre (Level 2) efficient but not aggressive. Maybe similar aggression to the Vector but not quite as efficient.
I'll be interested @Gargravarr to hear your thoughts on the Sabre. It's been a number of weeks since I used mine so this has inspired me to line it up for tomorrow.:)
Thanks for your input there. (y) I've gone for the L2 plate: I'm not looking for something that shaves the same as the Vector, just a bit of a contrast, so we'll see how it goes. I like the design, it's a handsome piece of hardware. The vintage ones to me are less so, and I'm put off by the size of the heads. Hopefully it'll go well. Blackland make quality kit, and I shouldn't have a problem moving it if it's not to my liking.
Getting yourself all set for a WR3?
LOL, I can't see myself spending that much money only to have to sand back all that excessive bling... :rolleyes::p

What's New

What do you have in the post right now? thread

New post by @klinker

Thinks - what, ANOTHER brush?

Checks thread ...

Very nice mate!

Not quite in the post yet, but too good not to share.

I decided to make my first shaving purchase of 2022 a @TroyTools custom brush. The initial brief was to take inspiration from Purple Haze by Jimi Hendrix, one of my guitar heroes. However the moment I saw the Dark Ninja blank I knew it was destined for different inspiration.

TroyTools admitted the requested shape was challenging, but he has outdone himself. I present to you the Purple Cloud, inspired by the same named iconic guitar used by Prince. A 26mm cashmere knot sits atop it, and it’s still awaiting a medallion hence not in the post yet but believe me I can’t wait to get my hands on this.

img_1244-jpg.1926

Clip and pic shamelessly cribbed from Troy.

Although I still say my RAD is dead, I have been curious about these for a while...
Sabre.jpg

...so have plonked down my $$$ for one this morning. If I don't like it, I can always get rid of it on the BST.
I have one of these and I am not all that impressed. Those that have this razor and reviewed it stated that it was smoother and more efficient than the Oneblade Genesis. Not even close, for me anyway. The blades are really cheap though, so there is that.

I decided to make my first shaving purchase of 2022 a @TroyTools custom brush. The initial brief was to take inspiration from Purple Haze by Jimi Hendrix, one of my guitar heroes. However the moment I saw the Dark Ninja blank I knew it was destined for different inspiration.

TroyTools admitted the requested shape was challenging, but he has outdone himself. I present to you the Purple Cloud, inspired by the same named iconic guitar used by Prince. A 26mm cashmere knot sits atop it, and it’s still awaiting a medallion hence not in the post yet but believe me I can’t wait to get my hands on this.
I like the profile of that brush, very original. (y)

I too have a brush in the works with @TroyTools. I haven't got a name for it yet, but the blank is drop-dead gorgeous, and in Troy's words the result will look "sexier than a stripper's g-string", so that might just end up filling the blank. :p When it's done, it will carry an AP Shave Co G5C fan knot.

img_1244-jpg.1926

Clip and pic shamelessly cribbed from Troy.

congratulations mate, its a beautiful brush :)

I like the profile of that brush, very original. (y)

I too have a brush in the works with @TroyTools. I haven't got a name for it yet, but the blank is drop-dead gorgeous, and in Troy's words the result will look "sexier than a stripper's g-string", so that might just end up filling the blank. :p When it's done, it will carry an AP Shave Co G5C fan knot.
Not gonna lie, I copied the shape from wetshavingco’s titanium handle. But I wasn’t about to drop $215 for a handle alone.

also, I’ve never known a strippers g string to be able to fill anything ;)

...also, I’ve never known a strippers g string to be able to fill anything ;)
I'm not an expert on such things, but apparently there are those who believe such garments are traditional attire in Tasmania. A while back, I was amused to see a young lady frolicking on the beach at Binalong Bay on a chilly spring afternoon wearing nothing but an unzipped puffer jacket and a G-string... o_O

I'm not an expert on such things, but apparently there are those who believe such garments are traditional attire in Tasmania. A while back, I was amused to see a young lady frolicking on the beach at Binalong Bay on a chilly spring afternoon wearing nothing but an unzipped puffer jacket and a G-string... o_O
Excuse me @Gargravarr this isn’t a P&C G-String

Having told myself (and everyone here) that I wasn't going to worry about my stocks of unobtainium milled soaps running out, I just had to put my shekels down on some more vintage Yardley...

il_1588xN.3338411732_13u3.jpg

There is simply no shaving soap that compares to this stuff, it's the soap of the gods, even if it is (even) older than I am. It's always a gamble as to whether there will be any scent left (there is plenty in the older one I'm currently using) but I can always spritz it with some EO or my O&C cologne without feeling I've been cheated.