Which shaving product has really surprised you?

In my case, it would have to be D.R. Harris, Windsor soap. Milled soaps had completely fallen off my radar 40 years ago or more (my first was Yardley), and when @rhodes96 sent this my way a couple of months ago, I was amazed at just how good it was. The bonus is that it's woken me up to another great milled soap that I had sitting neglected at the back of a drawer, Czech & Speake's Oxford & Cambridge.

Soap: Tabac without doubt. When i started DE shaving around 3 years ago I bought a container. I liked it then but didnt think that much of it, and so began the rabbit hole of Artisan soaps. A couple of weeks back i thought i would try it again and was very surprised at how good it was. In my opinion the lather i got from Tabac was the best I had made to date in both slicknes and protection (the scent was just a bonus ;)). I was so impressed that after I read the tallow formula was discontinued I went a bit nuts buying up all the tallow formula Tabac i could find :)

Razor: Rocca V4. This razor was the first that gave me that holy grail moment (the first shave from Lupo indicates this may be a solid contender). Reason for me for the Rocca was that it was the first razor that gave me pure BBS with minimal effort/concentration with ZERO irritation. Takes me 3-4 passes with two ATGs but the fact i can do this and achieve my results is why.

Blade: It started with the polsilver/wizamet blades. First ones i came across that provided a decent level of sharpness with excellent smoothness, then game the Gillette Yellows which got a bit sharper while retaining smoothness and now currently the Minora which i would describe as the sharpest i have come across while still remaining smooth.

Blade/Razor combo: A notable mention must go out best surprise for me in this category would be the WR2 1.25 + feather combo. This combo pairs an aggressive razor along with the sharpest (not smoothest) blade i have come across, and somehow when you use a very steep angle can provide one of the smoothest shaves around, but you must shave with care.. any slip up is immediately noticeable.

Brush: The Omega 11137 Boar (possibly any boar). When i first used the boar, i allowed for break in for a few months but still it was one of the worst brushes i had used to produce lather. I may possibly have shaving hoarding tendencies so never got rid of it and like many things i didnt like early on i revisited the boar recently. I was amazed how much i liked the face feel while lathering and the lather it produced. This was a brush i was ready to throw away a couple years back, and now is one of my favorites so much so there are two boar brushes on route to me :) I guess i finally learnt how to lather correctly.

Soap: ARKO, the best performing soap that I have tried and cheap, about ¼ the cost of Tabac for me. I also love the scent that reminds me of watching my grandfather straight razor shave.

Razor: Cadman ⅝ "Bengall" straight razor, my best so far and again at a good price of under USD 30.

Brush: Chinese unbranded synthetic guaranteed pure genuine best badger hair with lacquered timber handle, only USD 2 and still my go-to brush for every shave.

Hands down it has to be the Rocca V4 + Minora Stainless blade with close second the P&C LE Charcoal Goods Gen 1 SB that was my dream DE and it holds a special part in the den.

Also anything that I have that's made by a local artisan be it a brush, scuttle, soap or splash as those items are top quality and help make this hobby that more enjoyable. :)

P&C LE Charcoal Goods Gen 1 SB that was my dream DE and it holds a special part in the den.
Bastard, I will never forgive you ...

;)
giphy.gif

Awesome thread @bald as

Soap: recently discovered Ginger’s Garden soap very slick and creamy. I did not think there was any soap surprises left

Razor: Straight shaving in general because I was afraid to cut chunks off my face but have thoroughly enjoyed shaving with straight razors and how good vintage razors are. The Big Boy De Luxe rivals any modern open comb for smooth efficiency with a bite, and the #58 - Aussie Aristocrat Junior is a smooth daily driver that would give any modern SB a run for it’s money

Blade: Vintage Gillette Super Stainless Steel Blades (Red & White) was given some Aussie Spoilers at the first Darwin Meetup by @eggbert and since bought 500. They still amaze me how good they are.

Blade/Razor combo: many combos have amazed. Every time a single pass BBS Dolphin Smooth shave that last 10+ hours is achieved most usually involve a Feather blade

Brush: got to give credit to @TroyTools for the Mink Nebula one of his first brushes and the hands down best badger in my den

Last month I purchased a Picadilly Shaving Co. 19mm synthetic shaving brush. It is a a re-branded Muhle STF 19mm with the STF knot that they supply to Edwin Jagger (trust that is not as clear as mud). I purchased it for GBP £6 on amazon but it quickly went back-up to about the same price as a Muhle. It is a superb knot, the progressiveness of the splay, the flow through, backbone and face feel ticks all the boxes for me. Initially I thought the size would be an issue, but it is not; it lathers, for daily head and face shaves, not just effectively but with aplomb. Yes it does not have the density or plushness of Muhle's 25mm STF or the EVO or CH2S but I find myself using it more and more. Nothing makes lather faster or of the same quality. I was so impressed, I purchased Muihle's own branded version. The handles are identical but the knot shapes vary slightly as mentioned above. Just for context I use large and small knots in rotation. I think Muhle's 19mm STF is their best STF offering - a little diamond.