2015 Sabattical thread

Thanks fellas, feeling the love. But, a ha, you know little how well I am motivated by spite!
And me... I'm the dark horse, riding in the slipstream on the inside... [emoji41]

I'm just letting every know I'm working on Keen edge' Thai new year now.

I'm still right with you boys.
You do realise that this means you're unable to make a purchase until the Thai new year has finished, right ?
As for poor @stillshunter , start small, go for a solar surface Sidereal period (~25 days) build up to a Moon Sidereal period of 27 days, followed with the step up to Mercury (~ 87 days) and then onto a real challenge of a Venusian Sidereal period of 225 days.
Of course you can thumb your nose at us all and accept the challenge of a Galactic Year.

You do realise that this means you're unable to make a purchase until the Thai new year has finished, right ?
As for poor @stillshunter , start small, go for a solar surface Sidereal period (~25 days) build up to a Moon Sidereal period of 27 days, followed with the step up to Mercury (~ 87 days) and then onto a real challenge of a Venusian Sidereal period of 225 days.
Of course you can thumb your nose at us all and accept the challenge of a Galactic Year.
I like your vision @borked ! Grand and yet with an eye to the detail. Please why don't you join us?

So less than 48 hours now to settle all purchases and make your commitment. I've bailed on my Connaughts order (only getting some small samples) and am shelving all ambitions for an Eclipse Red Ring (unless one presents itself in the next 38 hours) until next year.

So any other takers for the 2015 shave buy sabbatical?

Small field for this race so far:
ummm... @Nonick you in mate?

Rules for those on sabbatical:
  • no shaving related purchases throughout 2015 - unless expressly caveated from the outset (e.g., razor blades),
  • shaving sales are permitted and encouraged! (the less you have the less you must get familiar with), and
  • PIFs and trades are permitted, however absolutely no plussing up with any cash - must be goods and/or services in kind exchanged only.

Rules for those not on sabbatical:
  • if we reply to your BST with offers and enticements involving cash (again PIFs and trades are fine) deny us!, and
  • don't be pricks and tempt those on sabbatical with sales of exotic delights - Eclipse Red Rings, Razorock Stealth Slants, MdC, etc.
Abelard said "It is nobler to resist than avoid temptation" but give us a break hey, cause I aint no saint that's for certain...though I can't talk for @filobiblic

Last edited:
Not only deny, but name and shame?

Also, how about replacements if you were someone like Drubbing -
ie One brush to rule them,
One razor to find them &c.
and you accidentally ripped all the hair out of your shitty semogue dropped your brush and the knot fell out?

Last edited:
Nice touch
Not only deny, but name and shame?
A shame my 30 minute edit window has closed. @filobiblic , @Nonick you happy with this late amendment? I am! (but you need proof, no slander @eggbert)

Also, how about replacements if you were someone like Drubbing -
ie One brush to rule them,
One razor to find them &c.
and you accidentally ripped all the hair out of your shitty semogue dropped your brush and the knot fell out?
Nah, most folks undertaking the sabbatical would have enough hardware to ride through such a storm. God forbid my Smog 1305 spontaneously combust or something ....stupid brush! Top of the list for sale or trade during 2015. Who said these things were any bloody good again?

Yeah. It's ok. I'm fine with it all. I really have enough hardware and software to survive 2015 (and the legendary shavapocalypse).

As @Nonick always says, all you need is one razor...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419898207.649951.jpg

Well we can up the ante if you like and make it a single razor year....I, for one, am not ready yet - but others like @Drubbing and yourself may have reached that level of wet shaving maturity.
I will wait until I can master several before narrowing down to one.

Well we can up the ante if you like and make it a single razor year....I, for one, am not ready yet - but others like @Drubbing and yourself may have reached that level of wet shaving maturity.

As much as I loathe spending on anything but minimal requirements (the whole reason I got into SR shaving, then a brush, then a better brush, then a DE, then a better DE then ... ... ... ) the temptation of Jonny GoodSir soap and AS means I will breakout early in the New Year (as soon as his soap is back in stock). I'm leaning to a JGS SR as well. Yeah Stills, we're weak.

Dale.

As much as I loathe spending on anything but minimal requirements (the whole reason I got into SR shaving, then a brush, then a better brush, then a DE, then a better DE then ... ... ... ) the temptation of Jonny GoodSir soap and AS means I will breakout early in the New Year (as soon as his soap is back in stock). I'm leaning to a JGS SR as well. Yeah Stills, we're weak.

Dale.
I also rate the JGS soap & AS.

If you're after an Aussie str8 then be sure to also check out: http://djrazors.strikingly.com

Dale.
Dale, mate, let's not go confusing matters here. It is precisely my deficiencies in the willpower department that drove me to this sabbatical. I'm hoping that a mixture of peer pressure, spite and a little help from my friends will see me through ;)

BTW: never been tempted by straights until I saw JGS's offerings. If I take the plunge it will be for one of these
Johnny-Goodsir-67-562x374.jpg

....maybe that's the incentive I need to get me through to 2016? Hmmm...

If you're after an Aussie str8 then be sure to also check out: http://djrazors.strikingly.com
Nice way to kick us off filo! It's you and me, against the world mate, you and me!!!....well against the naysayers on this place anyways ;)

Hmmm... That ^^^^ does look like a beautiful str8.

Dale, mate, let's not go confusing matters here. It is precisely my deficiencies in the willpower department that drove me to this sabbatical. I'm hoping that a mixture of peer pressure, spite and a little help from my friends will see me through ;)

BTW: never been tempted by straights until I saw JGS's offerings. If I take the plunge it will be for one of these
Johnny-Goodsir-67-562x374.jpg

....maybe that's the incentive I need to get me through to 2016? Hmmm...

I go back to my comment Stills; "we're weak". you are relying on peer pressure and public shaming to control your weakness - and trying not to cave into temptation is a noble thing. But I refuse to delude myself. I know I'm going to weaken. Reading all the reviews by other "addicted" shavers is too much for me. I wish you luck with your beating "addiction", but I know we're weak. If I start saying, "I'm a wet-shaver and I haven't had a shave for ... ... ..." I will know I want to be set free.

Dale

Yeah those jgs razors are nice. Exe though.

I'm going to join the sabbatical but with a little difference. I'm not going to spend any new money on shaving related gear.

This means to get anything new I have to sell off something that money can keep going around.

Is this allowed? It won't work forever because of the huge value drop in products.

What if I run out of software?? I join a beard forum for the last quarter??

I've just come to the revelation that my humanitarian side cannot allow me to take part in this sabbatical. All these soap/brush/AS/balm/shaver makers have normal people like us working for them. People who rely on our purchases to have a job, feed and clothe their families, provide a secure and safe home, ... ... ... I couldn't possibly sleep at night knowing that my stinginess was the cause of a family living on the streets. C'mon blokes, think of others. And the economy. It is our responsibility to keep the wheels of industry turning and so our nation great. (Well this gets me off the hook - others please feel free to use this excuse).

Bring on 2015.

Dale.

I'm going to join the sabbatical but with a little difference. I'm not going to spend any new money on shaving related gear.

This means to get anything new I have to sell off something that money can keep going around.

Is this allowed? It won't work forever because of the huge value drop in products.
The rules are what you make then to be my friend! It's the vibe around here...

Sounds like a plan. [emoji106] Rather than a sabbatical, it's more like a shaving funds freeze or rolling liquidation in shaving products. Call it what you will but you'll be accepted as a step-brother at the very least...

Can someone help @stillshunter out and ban him from bst for a year ?

funds freeze or rolling liquidation ...

Sounds like this is going to burnish my credentials as either a despot dictator, or criminal mastermind. I should be able to compare notes with my friend Putin