2015 Sabattical thread

Nice bottles @borked but too pricey for me :)

I know that I'm late to the party, but I've abstained from shaving-related purchases for the start to the year and I think I'm going to join the Sabattical too. After going through the growing pile of soaps in my bathroom, it's time to make a dent in what I have already. I'm giving myself two exceptions for well-priced second-hand items, an iKON OC base plate and a Simpson Tulip in Super.

Here we go! Have at it, enablers. :p

@Mong. you did note the rarer than hens teeth sale upon Rooney above, right ?

IMG_3270.jpg

@eggbert Which of those would be your pick ?
Personally, I'd go for the handle on the right, middle knot since it's apparently the knot hair of choice.
@stillshunter are you thinking what I am after viewing a comparison between finest and super?

I know that I'm late to the party, but I've abstained from shaving-related purchases for the start to the year and I think I'm going to join the Sabattical too. After going through the growing pile of soaps in my bathroom, it's time to make a dent in what I have already. I'm giving myself two exceptions for well-priced second-hand items, an iKON OC base plate and a Simpson Tulip in Super.

Here we go! Have at it, enablers. :p
Own a Lee Sabini custom brush yet ?
Owned Rooney, liquidated it.
Owns Morris & Forndran.
Notoriously difficult to get in contact with, let alone find new items for sale.
I can help you out somewhat with that and provide you with a greater than average chance of purchasing one of his brushes :)

I'm feeling the love already. Borked is clearly going to be the devil on my shoulder.

No Lee Sabini for me, and I'll not be tempted. Too pricey for me!

I'm feeling the love already. Borked is clearly going to be the devil on my shoulder.

No Lee Sabini for me, and I'll not be tempted. Too pricey for me!
Nah, devil does it for selfish reasons, mine also are selfless :)

As for too expensive, coming from the man with a LE M6... (one of those horn Rooneys would compliment it well and a cheaper option to the M&F customs)

PS http://paste-and-cut.com.au/community/threads/instant-shave-den-on-ykw-in-sydney.1229/#post-25661
Game on :)

http://www.ebay.de/itm/After-Shave-...schutz-Lotion-200ml-6-8-Fl-OZ-e-/331459153647
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Irisch-Moos-SIR-sir-After-Shave-Lotion-200ml-7-0-OZ-e-/331459176283
http://www.ebay.de/itm/SIR-Irisch-Moos-Rasierseife-100g-NEU-Raritat-/281577073382

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/I-Coloniali-Softening-Shaving-Cream-Tube-100-ml-/231184004855
Free postage too :)

You're a menace, mate! But not unfair, the M6 was a bit of a spend and a Rooney would look nice next to it...next year. Do you have one in Finest? It would fetch a bit of coin these days if you do, what with Lee Sabini being generally uncontactable.

I cannot speak for i Coloniali, but I've tried the Atkinsons (parent company) shave cream and it is very good. I recommend it for anything not on Sabbatical.

You're a menace, mate! But not unfair, the M6 was a bit of a spend and a Rooney would look nice next to it...next year. Do you have one in Finest? It would fetch a bit of coin these days if you do, what with Lee Sabini being generally uncontactable.

I cannot speak for i Coloniali, but I've tried the Atkinsons (parent company) shave cream and it is very good. I recommend it for anything not on Sabbatical.
That's an interesting story that @stillshunter is aware if...
I may already have a two band vintage.
As for next year, I don't know if they will be on sale after this.

Well, you do rate i Coloniali enough to ask Mensbiz to consider stocking it and the Atkinsons range, so curious if you've already tried it and if so, how you rate it.
If you've not, well, there's the perfect opportunity with free postage :)

I think @GThomas may have bought a (the?) sample.
I would presume the soap would have the same effect as the cream?

Vostok is a peppermint menthol. The creams and soaps are identical in scent/mentholiness as far as I could work out.

The hard soap is a hard soap, the cream is a firmish cream. The menthol of the Iced Key Lime had my eyes watering I remember but I can't recall the Vostok, though they have the same amount of menthol in them.

I would class it as a heavy hit, but I have learned menthol addicts like their menthol, so it may be a light hit to you. Certainly more than Proraso Green and the like.

I liked the creams more than the soaps, but I think there are better products for the money. Perhaps look at Strop Shoppe Alpine something or other with menthol. (Never tried it, but I'm enjoying Strop Shoppe in general the last few weeks)

@Nonick how would you compare it to the jabonman Lima incienso?

The actual soap is completely different (though the Lima Inciensos a strange consistency) It's consistency is just like a normal soap/cream.

As to the menthol hit.. I would say somewhat similar, but no more.

Phil you got the Iced Key Lime in hard soap didn't you? The menthols the same so give us a run down would ya?

Borked did you get something from the QSC line up? I can't remember who got what. GThomas04 should be able to use it and compare it to the Jabonman, he has both now… GT….GT??

Phil you got the Iced Key Lime in hard soap didn't you? The menthols the same so give us a run down would ya?
I sent it straight to Eggy along with the Proraso Pre/Post cream sample.

The Iced Key Lime seemed very minimal on the menthol - I thought Vostok was supposed to be one of the creams of the croap.

Put it this way, the IKL needed the proraso pre soap to give anything near approaching the same menthol hit as Jabonmans Lima incienso.

Ahh well there is your answer Egg

From QSC on Iced Key Lime

Description:
With a nice citrusy pop to it, this lime scent smells like freshly cut limes and lime zest. Unlike other lime scents, ours is dry, rather than sweet. We have added a heavy dose of menthol, the same amount we use in Vostok.

Will have to check when I get home.
I think there were two samples I got from you guys, maybe I am confusing the two?

I've tidied up my PM's so can't go back and check.

I find menthol creeps up and gradually intensifies.
Proraso green is almost nonexistent.
QCS iced key lime if too close to the eyes, will induce tears yet there is no heavy hit and at worse would be described as mild discomfort.
It's aroma reminds me of cheesecake. Actually, I might try spiking it with 444 and see how that works out.

Let the ribbing begin.

I, Mr. Stills Hunter, hereby bow out of the Sabbatical for 2015.

It wasn't so much temptation that drove me to transgression but sheer frustration. What drove me into the buying embargo in the first place was an overwhelming frustration with 'all that stuff'. I mean here I was trying to simplify and I open the cabinet door to more and more shite. "So a sabbatical, that'll fix it", my naive 2014 brain thought. That'll focus me on not accumulating more. Wrong, wrong and wrong. Three months down that road and I have more stuff than I had before I began. For those that think a sabbatical will help you accumulate less, think again - it only make you more wily!

But I am going out in style. Unless something goes awry my first transgression, my first guilty act will be....
...a Feather AS-D2 (thanks @Young Buck...I blame your ongoing reviews for the most part mate ).
Ordered and I'm just hoping there is still stock.

I remain committed to simplifying shaving-wise and so once the AS-D2 arrives you'll see a lot of my stuff going up on the BST...some nice razors (even maybe the Weber), some fine brushes (even maybe the Thater...though it might already be spoken for by another member)...and many a soap (even maybe some Jabonman).

Thank goodness I'm off to dinner tonight so rather than absorb each lead pellet, I'll return late in the evening or early in the morning to the entire P&C firing squad...please just don't shoot the face!