Intermediate razor suggestions

If there was a one and done razor that would last a lifetime it would have to be the 6S. Not flashy like a Wolfman, doesn' t have as many options as the Karve, but it is probably the best tool razor on the market for the $. I would be more than happy to have to have the 6S as my only razor if needed to be.
If I had
The 6s has been my daily driver for a while now, and I suspect it will be my primary go to razor for a very long time. I still have a 6c as well, but find that it shaves quite differently even though they’re identical in design (the extra weight of the 6s makes a positive difference IMO).
+1 on the weight but it balances well.

shaved with the 6C tonight and got a decent shave in, quite a close shave with a feather on plate 4. BBS on my cheeks with DFS on the neck with 4 passes. Certainly a decent razor but for me the game changer 84p provides both a smoother and more efficient shave and would be the one I recommend out of those two, yeah you can go up in plates with the 6C but I find they are not as smooth as plate 4.

also dont fear heavy razors, once you get used to it the weight is an advantage where you dont need to apply pressure and that results in a smoother shave IMHO.

As most others, you most likely will not listen, will go and buy dozens of other razors, before maybe coming back in a year or two and hopefully then agreeing (is that correct @StratMan ;) )

The DE89 is a spectacular good razor that will give you a BBS if:

a: paired with the right blade (you don't have to go Feather, but maybe PolSilver, Kai, etc)
b: you really have a good technique - NO PRESSURE

I know this sounds counter intuitive...my personal explanation is, that with pressure you press the whiskers into the skin, making it impossible to shave them. So with absolutely no pressure and the right angle paired with the correct blade you will get a BBS...same goes of course for other so called mild (I call them smooth) razors like the Feather and so on...

shaved with the 6C tonight and got a decent shave in, quite a close shave with a feather on plate 4. BBS on my cheeks with DFS on the neck with 4 passes. Certainly a decent razor but for me the game changer 84p provides both a smoother and more efficient shave and would be the one I recommend out of those two, yeah you can go up in plates with the 6C but I find they are not as smooth as plate 4.

also dont fear heavy razors, once you get used to it the weight is an advantage where you dont need to apply pressure and that results in a smoother shave IMHO.
+1 (y)

As most others, you most likely will not listen, will go and buy dozens of other razors, before maybe coming back in a year or two and hopefully then agreeing (is that correct @StratMan ;) )

The DE89 is a spectacular good razor that will give you a BBS if:

a: paired with the right blade (you don't have to go Feather, but maybe PolSilver, Kai, etc)
b: you really have a good technique - NO PRESSURE

I know this sounds counter intuitive...my personal explanation is, that with pressure you press the whiskers into the skin, making it impossible to shave them. So with absolutely no pressure and the right angle paired with the correct blade you will get a BBS...same goes of course for other so called mild (I call them smooth) razors like the Feather and so on...
Very sensible advice as experimenting with blades and technique can easily transform a milder shave to a close and comfortable shave!
My only issue with the milder shaves is the time for regrowth compared to the more efficient razors. (y) Also not chasing a BBS everytime helps!

@alfredus is 100% correct in saying the DE89 is indeed an excellent razor.. it was also my first DE razor and I too thought it was way to mild to be effective so my quest for 'the' razor began. The more I searched the more aggressive the razors became and a long while later I decided to revisit the DE89 and was quite surprised at how close a shave I could get from it.

for me, the DE89 doesnt give me a true BBS, but it is not far from it and certainly much closer than I had ever gotten before but what it did give was a super smooth shave.. the only change was that technique improved as I went on.

In saying that it does take time for technique to develop and there is nothing wrong with going down the path of RAD to more efficient razors. I believe my technique got better the more aggressive I went with razors because they taught me to shave with no pressure and build a great lather or I paid the price with burn and some pain. Plus it is fun to search and try new gear :)

so yeah keep trying new stuff but dont give/sell the DE89, come back at a later date and try it again, you will certainly be surprised at how good it is. The other thing is what are you actually after? do you chase BBS? I chase it every single shave and will never change, nothing quite scratches that BBS itch than a very efficient razor and when you combine that with a smooth shave you are in heaven

My only issue with the milder shaves is the time for regrowth compared to the more efficient razors. (y) Also not chasing a BBS everytime helps!
giphy.gif

I’ve stopped chasing BBS, I’m happy shaving daily with a DFS.

respectfully disagree with @SpeedyPC and @Razor Burn... chase chase chase!!! there is nothing more satisfying :)

plus helps improve your technique quicker
There's nothing wrong with chasing a BBS but not worth it if you end up with irritation or ''razor burn''... :LOL:
I have learnt which razor +blade will provide a BBS and agree technique plays a big part!

There's nothing wrong with chasing a BBS but not worth it if you end up with irritation or ''razor burn''... :LOL:
I have learnt which razor +blade will provide a BBS and agree technique plays a big part!

short term pain for long term gain.. I dont get burn anymore regardless of what i use.. although i do get a little tender if my lather aint that great on the day and yes a great blade in one razor doesnt mean it will work well in another

I just wanted to add, that my suggestion is also based on @r377 stating, that there is budget of 100$ - this lead me to believe, that funds might be tight and therefore RAD might not be the best solution...

If funds are not an issue, then by all means jump down the rabbit hole, but please don't waste too much time on 6S, 6C, 84, etc etc - Wolfman is the answer to your quest :D

I just wanted to add, that my suggestion is also based on @r377 stating, that there is budget of 100$ - this lead me to believe, that funds might be tight and therefore RAD might not be the best solution...

If funds are not an issue, then by all mean jump down the rabbit hole, but please don't waste too much time on 6S, 6C, 84, etc etc - Wolfman is the answer to your quest :D
YMMV if you jump into the rabbit hole too fast too soon for a Wolfman, choose the Rockwell 6C or 6S until you’ve built up your technique more and also learn different aggressive levels for each base plate for a while during your shaves.

If funds are not an issue, then by all means jump down the rabbit hole, but please don't waste too much time on 6S, 6C, 84, etc etc - Wolfman is the answer to your quest :D

hey @r377 @alfredus has great wisdom.. I distinctly remember having this conversation with him at a meet up once.. at the time i thought he was crazy but his words have spoken true... specifically a comment i made to him about the 6C i had which at the time thought was the bees knees

if money aint a factor look to a wolfman, or timeless (of which i a very close to making yet another purchase of) :)

YMMV if you jump into the rabbit hole too fast too soon for a Wolfman, choose the Rockwell 6C or 6S until you’ve built up your technique more and also learn different aggressive levels for each base plate for a while during your shaves.

this is also great advice.. best to spend big when you know what you want

this is also great advice.. best to spend big when you know what you want
That’s why I got both 6C and 6S, because, the whole razor both are totally different weight for each aggression levels base plate. Each base plate have a different weight for each aggression, because, each base plate gets heavier (thicker) not just the top cap and handle is the WHOLE Rockwell 6C vs 6S.

For example using 6S

Top cap + R1 base plate + blade + handle = is what ? Lighter or Heavier

Top cap + R6 base plate + blade + handle = is what ? Lighter or Heavier

Which above is heavier and which above is lighter ?

Also is 6C heavier than the 6S? and is 6S lighter than the 6C?

Last edited:
@r377 I don’t have much to add to the wealth of good advice you’ve already received here. One option I went for to save coin whilst experimenting with increased efficiency was swapping out the standard DE89 head for one of the Yaqi heads here.

The ‘flipside’ or ‘SC intermediate’ are imminently affordable and offer a bit more efficiency for you to experiment with using your same DE89 handle. Food for thought anyways.

...but please don't waste too much time on 6S, 6C, 84, etc etc - Wolfman is the answer to your quest :D
I'll probably be burned as a heretic for saying this, but I find [the appearance of] wolfpersons somewhat unappealing. I don't need bling, and the general styling of them just looks clunky to me. However, I haven't actually tried one, and I'm totally prepared to accept that they do the job really well.

But having to join a queue to express an interest in buying one in a decade's time is (IMO) just wank. That kind of marketing should qualify for a top position in public office.

Now, does anyone need a match?

I'll probably be burned as a heretic for saying this, but I find [the appearance of] wolfpersons somewhat unappealing. I don't need bling, and the general styling of them just looks clunky to me. However, I haven't actually tried one, and I'm totally prepared to accept that they do the job really well.

But having to join a queue to express an interest in buying one in a decade's time is (IMO) just wank. That kind of marketing should qualify for a top position in public office.

Now, does anyone need a match?

I know where your coming from. Wolfman taking tips from Rolex.

Funny thing is in order to satisfy my shaves I would require a Wolfman WR2 in 1.35 or 1.45 SB plate, even then maybe I may not be satisfied. To pay $1000 for the privilege, no thanks I can already achieve that with a $50 razor head, and still have change to buy another 30+ artisan shave soaps.:)