June 2014 Acquisitions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to shave with razors not collect them as a collector. So I didn't buy the Wardonia bakelite razor for $20 at the same antique store. If someone is keen I can try to go back, buy it and ship it to you.

I don't think it takes standard blades so you couldn't shave with it.

I assumed he meant keeping the handle close to parallel to the skin. I wound up set at 5 which seemd OK.............

If you did you somehow got lucky. Having the blade perpendicular to the skin is the no-no of no-nos. Learnt that the hard way with SE shaving which is completely unforgiving in that respect.

Last edited:
I want to shave with razors not collect them as a collector. So I didn't buy the Wardonia bakelite razor for $20 at the same antique store. If someone is keen I can try to go back, buy it and ship it to you.

Unfortunately as you have said it only takes proprietary blades. It's very unfortunate as bakelite razors are my thing. For some reason they appear to be very collectible. Come up all the time on e-bay.

thanks @Pjotr for that.
I know about the dating chart. It's just this doesn't have the usual date codes (letter + no.). Just a Roman numeral II. Strange. I'm thinking it's a British razor that was before they copied the US dating system. Or it's missing the letter and just has the number. If so then that's unusual and makes it more special as a Collector's piece. The TTO's only came in mid-century.

@Pjtor. Haha. Yeah. That's why I didn't get the Bakelite razor. I can't shave with it and it's not my thing.

I assumed he meant keeping the handle close to parallel to the skin.

This is indeed what I meant, sorry for that particularly poor piece of expression. A better way to explain it is to have the handle pointing almost vertically down at the floor when you shave your sideburns and maintain that similarly low angle across the rest of your face/neck. Not quite parallel, but closer to it than most modern razors.

thanks @Pjotr for that.
I know about the dating chart. It's just this doesn't have the usual date codes (letter + no.). Just a Roman numeral II. Strange. I'm thinking it's a British razor that was before they copied the US dating system. Or it's missing the letter and just has the number. If so then that's unusual and makes it more special as a Collector's piece. The TTO's only came in mid-century.

Maybe it's I1? Yeah if they made this particular razor in Britain it might not have a dating code. Where's @Mark1966 when you need him?

View attachment 619
View attachment 620View attachment 621

I found this in an antique shop for $10 but can't determine what it is.

I'm sorry that the photos aren't great.

It's a Gillette that is made in England. TTO. On the baseplate the only 'code' is II. (The Roman numeral for 2.)

Any idea what it is? Thanks!

You have yourself a flare-tip Rocket!

The Rocket is the most common of the English made equivalents to the US made SuperSpeed. There is a difference in the internal mechanism that manifests in a gap between the handle and knob - as shown in the picture below:

Flaretips_1_1_1.jpg

By contrast there were SuperSpeeds made in England - they did not have the gap as shown in the following pic:

EnglishSSs_1_1.jpg

The Roman numeral 2 - II is commonly accepted as reflecting the relative agressiveness.
Blue Tip - I = mild
Normal - II = regular
Red Tip - III = aggressive

The English made razors did not have date codes - you have to ascertain by subtle differences in manufacture to date them.

A great razors, the Brits are generally better made than the US, and at $10 a bargain - worth twice that at least.

Enjoy!

Maybe it's I1? Yeah if they made this particular razor in Britain it might not have a dating code. Where's @Mark1966 when you need him?

Out with my wife - normal service resumed now though!

BTW to find out about Rockets etc check out this thread

Sweet. Thanks @Mark1966
That's great comments. Very helpful. Seems like you have a few lying around... LOL

Sweet. Thanks @Mark1966
That's great comments. Very helpful. Seems like you have a few lying around... LOL

Are vintages razors easily found in antique shops up your way? I've search high and low in Victoria and came up empty handed each time.

They seem to be rare here in Sydney from what I've come across. At Vinnies they look at you blankly when you ask for razors or even vintage/safety razors. In the last 4 months I've come across 3 stores that have had anything. And 2/3 have been Gillette Techs. This was a rare find.

I was commenting on @Mark1966 who seems to be known worldwide for his RAD stash. He lives in the capital so not sure if the stores there are laden with razor abundance or he imports them from overseas.

@filobiblic - well yes I do have at least one of every type in that thread I think - but the pics are not mine :)

@Lifes a Peach - vintage razors are not common 'in the wild' here in Australia. Apart from the death of the antique stores industry (lots have closed down in my time) we don't have the population and population density to support the 'picking' industry in the same way as the US does. Razors are often thought of as old junk that nobody would want, 'you want that dirty old think full of soap scum and hair?' and are commonly thrown out. Those razors that are saved and recognised as having value often end up on eBay.

The vast majority of my collection is imported from eBay in the US. Look at the number, estimate $2o postage per item and then consider yourself lucky!

View attachment 619
View attachment 620View attachment 621

I found this in an antique shop for $10 but can't determine what it is.

I'm sorry that the photos aren't great.

It's a Gillette that is made in England. TTO. On the baseplate the only 'code' is II. (The Roman numeral for 2.)

Any idea what it is? Thanks!

I think it is a flare tip rocket. Check out this link and all will become clear:
http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/gillette-rocket-the-refined-de.8590/

Cheers, George

This is indeed what I meant, sorry for that particularly poor piece of expression. A better way to explain it is to have the handle pointing almost vertically down at the floor when you shave your sideburns and maintain that similarly low angle across the rest of your face/neck. Not quite parallel, but closer to it than most modern razors.

This shaving angle is being described as "steep" over at B&B in threads talking about the R41. The instructions in the original early gillettes were to have the handle almost perpendicular to the skin, the antithesis of having the handle almost parallel to the skin. I was sceptical but tried it, and it definately works for the R41.

Well if, as I did, you learned how to shave with an SE, that's exactly what you end up aiming for. There is an SE model, the Bullet tip, which even has a mark on the head called the guiding eye which is there to remind you to keep it flat to your skin i.e. the handle perpendicular. I've got one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.