September 2011 Members Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we allowed to mention or in any way identify live auctions on this forum? Oh, that's right, your the boss, you make the rules. :D

Post away! Just remember posting live auctions may mean a few people here throw a bid or two on them just o you pay more..... so maybe only on the ones you are not bidding on would be a smart move.

Why, what's the go on other forums about live auctions?
Verboten?

sent from PJ's closet using Tapatalk

Why, what's the go on other forums about live auctions?
Verboten?

sent from PJ's closet using Tapatalk

I'm not going to ask...

Other forums don't allow it because they can't trust the 'Gentlemen' not to snipe each other in a greedy grab to out do one another. See, you have to police the gentlemen, in case they get found out for being the shitbags they are.

Last edited:
Wow such a shite thing for people to do.

Perhaps, in time as this forum grows, there may be people who do that.

Given the crowd we have currently I don't think that is an issue.

sent from Drubbing's secret bag of smilies using Tapatalk

I'm not going to ask...

Other forums don't allow it because they can't trust the 'Gentlemen' not to snipe each other in a greedy grab to out do one another. See, you have to police the gentlemen, in case they get found out for being the shitbags they are.

And to stop people using the forum to boost the exposure of something they're selling. I honestly can't see what's wrong with posting a link to a live auction. I love the way the gentlemen over at you know where collectively pounce on anybody who accidently does post a live auction like a bunch of little pre-schoolers dobbing in to the teacher.

Unlike here where people sneak in to your closet and use Tapatalk to post messages from their mobile. Now there's something that should be banned.

Last edited:
Back on topic. Not exactly an acquisition, more of a PIFisition but I've just got an entire tub of Cella from veteran. Has to be one of the best in terms of the lather it produces and ease of use.

No acquisitions arrived today as not mail is going out from the Postal Centre in Mitchell following the fire in a chemical recycling plant. Very dissappointing way to end the week.

I suppose I will just have to do something else this weekend....

Quick Question

Not really taking this off track, but I got one of my ebay purchses today a (I think) brass Gillette. The brass is a little grubby and as I presume it is just a coating, what is the best method of cleaning? The head itself has lost a little bit of the coating already but the handle is in good nick.

Thank you gentlemen (and any hirsute ladies who might be hiding on here).

Glen

Not really taking this off track, but I got one of my ebay purchses today a (I think) brass Gillette. The brass is a little grubby and as I presume it is just a coating, what is the best method of cleaning? The head itself has lost a little bit of the coating already but the handle is in good nick.

Glen

I've just used toothpaste and an old toothbrush in the past. You have to do it a few times because it doesn't work as quick or as efficient as metal polishes but it gets the job done after a few goes and it doesn't have that horrible hydrocarbon smell.

I doubt it's just plain brass unless the original gold, chrome or (unlikely) platinum plating/coating has completely worn off. You'll soon be able to tell because the coating will start giving off a shine and the brass will remain a bit dull. Gillette wasn't particularly known for their coatings but given the age of most of them it generally did a good job. Brass actually leaves a bit of a stain/smell when you're using it particularly with wet objects such as razors. Hence the coating/plating. I've read somewhere, probably over at you know where, that Gillette used to actually spray the coating on rather than electroplate it but that could be just nasty rumours. I'm sure our own Mr Gillette (Mark1966) should be able to verify or vehemently deny this.

Last edited:

Glen

Scrubbing Bubbles of course! Oh, thats right - we don't have Scrubbing Bubbles here in OZ.

I tend to spray my new acquisitions generously with a relatively mild and certainly non-caustic/bleach surface cleaner in a bowl. After about 30 mins I pour in some boiling water and leave overnight. Scrub the next day with an old toothbrush and repeat if necessary. For gold ones that is pretty much all I do (no ultra-sonic) unless I use a toothpick or cotton bud with cleaner to address a particular problem.

The gold plating is VERY thin so I try to do as little as possible.

Scrubbing Bubbles of course! Oh, thats right - we don't have Scrubbing Bubbles here in OZ.

I tend to spray my new acquisitions generously with a relatively mild and certainly non-caustic/bleach surface cleaner in a bowl. After about 30 mins I pour in some boiling water and leave overnight. Scrub the next day with an old toothbrush and repeat if necessary. For gold ones that is pretty much all I do (no ultra-sonic) unless I use a toothpick or cotton bud with cleaner to address a particular problem.

The gold plating is VERY thin so I try to do as little as possible.

Could I make scrubbing bubbles by sitting in the bath farting??

Could I make scrubbing bubbles by sitting in the bath farting??

Don't know. Maybe give it a try and nsee how it works :laugh:

...I've just got an entire tub of Cella from veteran. Has to be one of the best in terms of the lather it produces and ease of use.
I can't argue with that. The scent is annoying "dr pepperish" I think is the best description and maybe jugs said that and I fully agree.
But it works good and I can see why drubbing likes it, it is way easier to use than MWF is, that I admit.
Though sometimes I struggle with myself. That scent(!), or something less offensive that only takes a little more work...

Last edited:
I can't argue with that. The scent is annoying "dr pepperish" I think is the best description and maybe jugs said that and I fully agree.
But it works good and I can see why drubbing likes it, it is way easier to use than MWF is, that I admit.
Though sometimes I struggle with myself. That scent, or something less offensive that only takes a little more work...

I like it. If it were a crap product, I'd dislike the scent, as it's not 'typical' of soaps. But as it's one of my tops, it smells like a great shave, as soon as I pop the top.

I like it. If it were a crap product, I'd dislike the scent, as it's not 'typical' of soaps. But as it's one of my tops, it smells like a great shave, as soon as I pop the top.

The soap works. It's a good soap which I dislike the scent of.

Tell you what works after it though, a bay rhum aftershave. Drubbing probably hates bay rum/rhum, but it's the perfect partner to that cella scent. edit: Once you get over the cella scent that is.

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of the scent either but it fades when you lather it up and for some reason I just end up using it a lot. Unlike Valobra which I've countless times opened up in preparation, caught a whiff and quickly put it away. It lathers up just as good as Cella but the scent is just a complete put off. I still refuse to ditch it although it'll be a long while before it's used up. Not to be replaced. You can somehow forgive Cella for it's scent. Poor Italians just don't know any better. Everything has to stink of almonds. With Valobra it's like what the f... were they thinking when they sat around in their labs deciding on how to make this product pleasing to your average nostril. It's mindboggling.

Last edited:
Gentlemen! Gentlemen! I remind you the topic is acquisitions! (and how much money I could make selling them to you)
I always love Drubbing's and Pjotr's thought on that forums and wonder how much trouble current members there would get being associated with us roughies.
Yes I was once, it's still up there for the record under this username.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.